Russia goes boom to meteor shower

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The calculation is pretty easy - speed of sound is ~340m/s, 30+ seconds of video before sound hits = min. 10k.

Fail. The oft-quoted speed of sound is at sea level only.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fail. The oft-quoted speed of sound is at sea level only.

I would have said standard temperature and pressure but it was a quick and dirty calculation.

In the high atmosphere, because of the relative lack of density of the atoms sound propagates more slowly. (Conversely the speed of sound under water is ~1500m/s).

I know this because I almost did a PhD based upon it*.

*smug* :)

*though not that smug because, like the dumb cunt I am, I turned it down :(

rynnor

Rockhound
I would have said standard temperature and pressure but it was a quick and dirty calculation.

In the high atmosphere, because of the relative lack of density of the atoms sound propagates more slowly. (Conversely the speed of sound under water is ~1500m/s).

I know this because I almost did a PhD based upon it*.

*smug* :)

*though not that smug because, like the dumb cunt I am, I turned it down :(

Wouldn't it have been a terribly dull thing to study for a PhD though? I have thought about a PhD but I cant decide on anything I want to study in that depth for years - maybe one day...

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
the prices will go through the roof

rynnor

Rockhound
TdC said:
the prices will go through the roof

Wow - it was a lot bigger than original estimates!

7,000 tons is Nasa's estimate.

The explosion was the equivalent of 300,000 tons of TNT.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wouldn't it have been a terribly dull thing to study for a PhD though?

It wouldn't have been "exciting" - but having been and worked in a "proper" job (IT) I now realise with hindsight that that lack of excitement in no way compares to the tedium of a job that is relatively procedural and has never stretched my brain.

If I'd done my PhD I'd have been tootling around the world consulting on construction projects dealing with road noise or be involved in designing accoustically sympathetic buildings or studios or <insert anything to do with the propagation/mitigation/management of sound>.

Basically massive variety instead of a pleb job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom