Russia goes boom to meteor shower

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It exploded in the air so there was no impact, except for the parts.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I would have thought it'd be louder tbh.

I think it was pretty f00king loud. I estimate the trail at between a minimum of 10 and 20 kilometers away from where the recording is made.

Have a look at these:
Embedded media from this media site is no longer available
View: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b70_1360910617

It's pretty loud.

The calculation is pretty easy - speed of sound is ~340m/s, 30+ seconds of video before sound hits = min. 10k.

However, I think it's much further - the whole trail is visible in the video so it's not as if it's caught the beginning of the event (the event had already started) and the sounds play out for another 30-odd seconds after the initial impact - which indicates that the sound is still reaching the recording device from a further 10k away than the nearest initial point.

So, for me - it's probably a 10-20k away and hugely energetic - which explains the broken glass and injured people nearer to the source quite easily. I bet they've all got banging headaches and/or burst eardrums too :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Headaches? i'd be more worried about the shortage of trousers because i'm fairly sure 90% of the people that seen this shit themselves.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
What a terrible cameraman.

Apparently the Russian Airforce are claiming its one meteor which they hit with a missile. Seems a bit unlikely, but who knows (in the high atmosphere it would have been doing about mach 30, but they slow down a lot and anything below mach 5 is theoretically possible to hit).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We have trains that go 700kph, bet the russkies have missiles that go mach 30 ;)

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
What a terrible cameraman.

Apparently the Russian Airforce are claiming its one meteor which they hit with a missile. Seems a bit unlikely, but who knows (in the high atmosphere it would have been doing about mach 30, but they slow down a lot and anything below mach 5 is theoretically possible to hit).

That's incredibly unlikely. Despite their being no visible second trail, hitting something at mach 5 with almost zero warning of the incoming object is practically impossible. But the most obvious reason is that almost all meteorites naturally burn or break-up in the atmosphere due to the pressure & heat build up as they travel through the air.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah - there's no way the ruskies hit it with a missile. It was going too fast and as can be seen in many of the videos, clearly broke up under it's own steam.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
If the Russian did hit it with a missile, they're getting my vote for World Police, America don't deserve it.

Wait, do we vote for that?

Chilly

Balls of steel
How fast do you think an ICBM goes at full pelt? Missile defense systems are designed to shoot those down so it doesn't seem too unlikely they managed to hit a meteor with no self powering ability. In ballistics that'd be one of the easiest targets to track. No cunning anti-intercept manoeuvres etc. On the other hand, I'm fairly sure most of the russian airforce are constantly drunk, so I doubt their automated systems are much better :D

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I saw something like that when I was in Oz. it made a sound like tearing paper as it passed overhead.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
How fast do you think an ICBM goes at full pelt? Missile defense systems are designed to shoot those down so it doesn't seem too unlikely they managed to hit a meteor with no self powering ability. In ballistics that'd be one of the easiest targets to track. No cunning anti-intercept manoeuvres etc. On the other hand, I'm fairly sure most of the russian airforce are constantly drunk, so I doubt their automated systems are much better :D

To support your point; Aren't icbm's "drop missiles" anyway, so most of the speed is gravity and -then- additional burn? (simple terms)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
It was travelling at 33,000 miles per hour at 25 miles or so above ground - No ICBM comes close to that speed and no anti missile system would have a hope in hell of hitting it.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Anyone else the tiniest bit skeptical about this having nothing to do with the Asteroid passing close to us tonight? I've even seen one scientist say it's a cosmic coincidence. Really? With the size of the cosmos, the rarity of this event and the rarity of tonight's asteroid pass we're supposed to think it is a coincidence? They're saying that the asteroid is approaching from the south and this was a northern hemisphere event? Frankly they can say what they want, I can't disprove it, not being an astrophysicist and all.

I for one will be digging a big hole and hiding in it tonight, I suggest you lot do too!

Chilly

Balls of steel
If the fucker that's supposed to miss us actually hits us, digging a hole will do nothing. The global failure of crops and crazy weather along with the wars and zombies will do you in.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The one tonight wouldn't be a global catastrophe, it's fairly small and would get smaller as it burns up. It's the big fuckers that measure in miles that we need to worry about. They are out there and they do hit earth from time to time.

I will be in the pub so I don't much care if it hits at that point.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If the fucker that's supposed to miss us actually hits us, digging a hole will do nothing. The global failure of crops and crazy weather along with the wars and zombies will do you in.

It's just a citykiller though, no real earth threat.

Or what Raven said :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I for one will be digging a big hole and hiding in it tonight, I suggest you lot do too!

I've heard that if you wear a tin foil hat you don't even need a hole.

It's scientifically proven that tin foil hats deflect asteroids.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I always have a tin foil hat on anyway, regardless of this kind of event. That's probably why I haven't been hit by a meteorite in my 37 years.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I always have a tin foil hat on anyway, regardless of this kind of event. That's probably why I haven't been hit by a meteorite in my 37 years.

That's a good point. Everyone else keeps getting hit all the time.

It's No2 for deaths in the UK, just behind having your anus boreholed by an alien. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom