Retail version problems

T

TedTheDog

As many of you know, EA`s game Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was released in UK today. There is already a patch out for it which addresses some multiplayer issues, which you can download from BarrysWorld FTP (15MB).

You might be wondering where the BarrysWorld (and other GSP`s) servers are...well therein lies a tale. Despite our attempts to get some critical fixes highlighted in the demo implemented in the full version, EA have not done so (they are not addressed in the multiplayer patch either). We`re very unhappy about this, and we know you MOH fans will be too. The main problems which prevent us from running servers at the moment are twofold. Firstly, MOH in dedicated server mode requires an original CD in the drive. This is a big no no for any dedicated server. Secondly, there is a very serious problem with the way MOH seperates the game port (the port you connect to the game on) and the query port (the port programs like Gamespy, All Seeing Eye and qstat query the server for details on, such as server name, players, map etc). Without going into a detailed explanation here, what it means is that running more than one server on a box is a nightmare, with you being unable to know which server is which prior to querying them. This also makes bookables more or less impossible.

Until these problems are addressed, we`re afraid there will be no (or extremely limited) MOH Retail servers at your favourite GSP`s.

Why is it so? The American market with its vast number of Broadband connections and home servers might fit this way of running a game server, but Europe simply isn`t built that way. The online server element of this game has been built with the US in mind, and so far Europe has been dealt a very poor hand. We are keen to rally support to have someone take notice. The game is based upon the Quake3 engine, so the theory remains that it could actually work very well, if work is put into it. Please, if you care, say so, and we`ll do what we can with the voice you give us.

R

Reality

pretty much say that the 200+ members at alliedassault.co.uk would add there voice in saying they care :)

gg EA/2015 :/

O

old.CJ Ravey

An Assault on Retail?

I'm afraid to say that there are many companies who either cannot, or choose not to, support many of the ancilliary services and lifestyles that surround their products - especially if they're outside the US/Japan. We've struggled to get **packshots** off people in the past to push their games - so my heart goes out to natrat et al trying to get something as complex as this sorted!

I refer you to TedTheDog's responses to a very witty column by... Ooo, me!

http://www.barrysworld.com/news/columns.asp?Category=5&Author=99

Get looking in your car parks folks...:D

O

old.Bytor-UK-

:(

Spent many months watching the videos http://www.mohaa.ea.com/

and visiting the various sites e.g. http://www.alliedassault.com/
and here http://www.alliedassault.net/

..only to find that the game will be released in America weeks before the UK notwithstanding it went Gold before Christmas but EA , for whatever reason , decided to hold it back till 22 Jan for USA and today for us.

What genius decided that Games Spy would be better than an in game browser? Q3 and UT were released over 2 years ago and they both had/have excellent browsers so why the need for Game Spy ( which SUCKS!!! the adverts are annoying to say the least and the whole programme is slow and awkward )

And now on the long awaited day of release we find that they still havent fixed the requirement to have a CD in the drive....complete and utter madness!
I argued against getting the Warez or donkey copy :) .... really out of respect for the development team and the efforts made in creating such a great game but the delay and the distinct lack of concern for anyone other than the Americans is frankly disgusting and loyalties are pushed to breaking point.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get it together EA !

O

old.cykey

OMG how bloody typical. My friend lent me RTCW which I played single player and thought was very good. I was tempted to buy it, and play on BW servers with it, but I decided to wait and spend my pennys on MOHAA instead. Great. Just great. Please get onto EA and tell em to fix this asap. Guess I'll be taking this game back and getting RTCW to play online instead. Grrrr. FIX IT!

T

throdgrain

only imo but...
You'd have to be mad to use the in-game browser in Q3.G-spy is far superior to that, and ASE is far superior again.
Oh.. MoH? Looks like another multiplayer disaster ala Operation Flashpoint.
Never mind lads go download DoD , it plays well and is made be people who's first aim appears not to be your money :)

O

old.Bytor-UK-

ASE = All Seeing Eye for those who might wonder... ;-)

I prefer in-game and i am sure newbies will as well.

And m8...go buy RTCW and MOHAA ... your post makes you seem like the champion of every penny is a prisoner....somebody phone Norris McWhirter.

T

throdgrain

I've GOT RtCW m8 , and have played it a lot online.I really wanted it to be good.But it's not as good as DoD , simple as that.Particularly the 2.0 version.And it's certainly no where near as good as counter-strike.
I also have Operation Flashpoint,which is a good single player but hopeless online.
So will I but MoH?? Not a chance m8 sorry.
Oh, I also know loads of people who play online games, but its very rare that they dont use g-spy or ase.Except for n00bs, as you say :)

N

natrat

Just to be clear, it's not actually impossible to run servers, just difficult, and multiple servers will conflict with one another as they stop and restart due to the port problem. We are continuing to look at the problem and will do what we can to get something up for you guys to play.

S

Stazbumpa

I'm with Throd on this one. Looks like good old EA have shafted everyone again. They made a fuck up of the online qualities of Shogun - Total War and they appear to have done the same again.

Throd is right once again. The best WW2 multiplayer combat sim on the market is Day of Defeat v2.0 and its free. MoH:AA is supposed to be the one to beat Half Life, and in single player it may well do that, but the life expectancy of a game is its multiplayer capabilities and as a result, unless this gets fixed very fucking quickly, then MoH will sink without a trace.

Sad fact after at least 4 years of people developing new stuff, but it appears that Half Life is still the best game ever made. The secret is good multi player, and MoH doesnt appear to have this at all.

DoD v2.0 (which runs on Half Life ;)) is going to be a much better bet.
I for one, will be borrowing my mates copy of MoH once he's cleared it, and will only buy MoH myself IF they fix this error.

This is a huge let down.

O

old.rapture

£29.99 EA won't be getting from me.

Ive no interest in forking out for a short single player if i cant extend the shelf life of the game with multiplayer. None of this suprises me, the mp demo + gamespy arcade showed exactly how clueless EA and 2015 are when it comes to online gaming. It takes alot of work to cripple the functionality of the q3 engine but they managed it. wtg :/

M

Moving Target

I'll just play on the BY servers, no matter how flawed it is.

O

Ono

FS.

This is a joke.

Might as well burn the copy I bought today and take it back for a refund then. :mad:

S

Summo

Bugger

And arse.

:(

I agree with everything Throd said. Another Operation Flashpoint multiplayer turkey, brought about by developer/distributor apathy. DoD 2.0 rocks online.

O

old.cykey

Originally posted by Bytor-UK-
And m8...go buy RTCW and MOHAA ... your post makes you seem like the champion of every penny is a prisoner....somebody phone Norris McWhirter.

Can't afford both. Currently unemployed so money is tight. Technically can't afford MOHAA, but decided to treat myself. But I fink i'll be taking it back. Probably will try DoD online soon. Installed n all, not got round to playin it.

S

Sar

Nice one EA/2015 ffs!

Q3 has a perfectly workable multiplayer back-end, so why the hell did you see fit to screw around with it?

We might have had 30+ servers up within the first week of its release here, but oh no, you had to put that to rights.

"GG"

Twats.

As if you think you know better than ID ffs!

O

old.=V= Khan

Guys, I really believe you are complaining without reason at all. Tell me a game which doesn´t need at least ONE patch. Patches are good because they improve the games we buy and even if you don´t like GameSpy, at least you don´t have to install the b****y programme and the ads anymore.

I got my copy, installed the patch and I´ve just been playing in a Blueyonder server for 3 freaking hours, it´s been the best time of my life.

And why Blueyonder has servers and Barrysworld doesn´t, uh? Surely it´s EA´s playing foul again... right?

Come on...

S

Sar

^^Spot the EA UK employee! ;)

Don't think anyone's complaining about the patch, per se, more the cunted way EA/2015 have implemented server setups.

D

Deady

I wont buy this then ;)

i imagine DoD 2 is better anyway...or at least not noticeably worse as to warrent paying for MOH

W

Wilier

I played MOH:AA on a *cough* jolt server and had a 900 ping ffs, usually about 180 on DoD and CS.:(

S

]SK[

Originally posted by =V= Khan
Guys, I really believe you are complaining without reason at all. Tell me a game which doesn´t need at least ONE patch. Patches are good because they improve the games we buy and even if you don´t like GameSpy, at least you don´t have to install the b****y programme and the ads anymore.

I got my copy, installed the patch and I´ve just been playing in a Blueyonder server for 3 freaking hours, it´s been the best time of my life.

And why Blueyonder has servers and Barrysworld doesn´t, uh? Surely it´s EA´s playing foul again... right?

Come on...

They can but they run multiple servers on one machine, they cant do this as the port numbers go crazy.

U

Utumno

Originally posted by =V= Khan

Come on...

blueyonder have found EA bending over backwards to help us resolve any game server problems we've uncovered - and as natrat says those game server problems were many and various.

With lots of hard work from both the blueyonder team and the EA/2015 techs the blueyonder servers are currently up with bookables to follow once they've had some more testing - I believe Monday is the target release date but don't quote me on it, stikky needs some sleep :)

Certainly in all the conversations I've had personally with EA on the MOH issue, they're incredibly keen to get day-of-release game servers available for people to play on - not having servers is ridiculous from EA's perspective because people simply then don't buy the game. I find it puzzling that BarrysWorld don't seem to have been able to get the same level of committment out of EA/2015 with regards to MOH that blueyonder have, particularly with Electronics Boutique's clout available.

N

natrat

Pimp pimp pimp :)

We've got some servers up now; no bookables or Barries though until some key issues are resolved by EA.

We are currently testing the viability of the 1.1 Patch and multiple ports on the same box, if you would be so kind as to give them a try, if you encounter any problems then please contact support

without further ado here are the current available test servers.

213.221.174.11:29962 BarrysWorld - Free For All (1)
213.221.174.11:29960 BarrysWorld - Objective (1)
213.221.174.11:29961 BarrysWorld - Objective (2)
213.221.174.11:29963 BarrysWorld - Team Match (1)

deathace

O

old.FeuerFrei[NL]

Nice to see some servers up and running!!

1 problem I have is that the server disconnects when a new map has to be loaded.

Other then that it's very fast :)

Keep up the good work!

O

old.=V= Khan

Juts for the record, no, I´m not an EA UK employee, but thanks for the compliment ;)

Bluyonder doesn´t have bookables yet (at least they didn´t yesterday). What I said is that I played there with a good ping, but that was the only service available.

If Barrysworld has servers too, that´s what we all want, right? I, for one, intend to give them a try asap.

O

old.Lee-ASG

no offence intended to the dudes @ BW but is it because of the new game management software system that they use to run the servers???

Users who are viewing this thread