Remote Assistance on Windows XP

xane

Fledgling Freddie
"Spooky"

The description using Remote Assistance I got last night when I checked out a friends computer, apparently it can be done all through MSN Messenger, we were both using Windows XP Professional, and although she was on a AOL modem dial-up and me on DSL, it was okay.

Anyone else used it yet ?

Turned out her problem was trying to copy a DVD in a CD Writer :)

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Yes, have had to use it several times to fix "problems" my friends/family have.

It is indeed quite good. Still prefer VNC.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
VNC doesn't work with Terminal Services though, so its only for XP if you have fast user switching turned off.

Saying that, it does work fine if you manually start the VNC Server after logging in.

Also saying that it did seem to work fine for me as a service if I used Administration accounts only.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Remote assistance is one of Microsoft's better ideas, even if it is rarely used. *Jonty recalls his first use of it, when he dived into Paint on is friend's PC and wrote 'hello'*. The only real problem is using it on slow connections, as it gets a little jittery, but other than that it's a nice idea. Messenger's whiteboard utility is also rather fun, in a similar manner.

Kind Regards

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
VNC does work with terminal services, you need to enable loopback connections on it (i think through the -loopback command) then you just connect to the screen itself (snoopy:3 for the 2nd user)

its documented in the FAQ for terminal services anyhow on the VNC page (www.realvnc.com)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Insane said:
VNC does work with terminal services, you need to enable loopback connections on it (i think through the -loopback command) then you just connect to the screen itself (snoopy:3 for the 2nd user)

its documented in the FAQ for terminal services anyhow on the VNC page (www.realvnc.com)

From the RealVNC Troubleshooter

VNC doesn't seem to work properly with Windows XP

VNC will work with XP provided that Fast User Switching and Remote Administration are not used. Windows XP uses the Terminal Services system to implement Fast User Switching and Remote Administration. This is not compatible with the current release of VNC, but will be supported better in a future release.

However, as I said, if you fire up the VNC Server manually instead of a service, it seems to work fine, unless you try and switch users that is :)

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
From realVNC documentation
AllowLoopback
By default, WinVNC servers disallow any vncviewer connections from the same machine. For testing purposes, or, potentially, when using multiple instances of WinVNC on Windows Terminal Server, this behaviour is undesirable. Setting this registry entry to 1 will cause local-loopback connections to be allowed. Setting it to zero will filter out such connections. Local machine-specific setting.

seems realvnc cant decide if it works or not :eek:

i'd rather use terminal services than VNC anyhow, since its initially more secure for logging on, and you will end up with your own little area to work in when it comes to it :)
(speaking of which, better build our support box for the VPN stuff :eek: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom