Film Recommend me a "figure it out" film

babs

Can't get enough of FH
As per the thread title really. I love films where I'm trying to figure out what's happening; riddles, mysteries, escape-the-room - that sort of thing.

For reference, some of my favourites are: Exam, Fermat's Room, Nine Dead, Unknown, Timecrimes, Triangle - that sort of thing.

So, without going as far as Mulholland Drive, any recommendations for something along those lines?

Himse

FH is my second home
you've probably seen it, but i enjoyed The Prestige.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
The Prestige as per the suggestion above is super the first time round, I also really enjoyed the Inside man as well.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I liked both of those, but Inside Man was more like what I meant :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Yeah, loop or two in that one :)

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Cube was great, so was Cube Zero, but I thought Cube 2 was a bit poo

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Not sure if it fits your style, but Memento is really good imo. Dark city isn't much of a how'd they did it movie like Inside man but still good. Man on ledge is entertaining but not something you write home to mom about.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Eraserhead.

and if you do figure out what the fuck is going on, let me know!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Berberian Sound Studio had me going "huhhhh?" on more than one occasion. Not sure it really fits the criteria but well worth a watch.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I liked Memento and Dark City as it happens. I remember the old site that compares Dark City and The Matrix shot by shot, quite interesting that.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
Berberian Sound Studio had me going "huhhhh?" on more than one occasion. Not sure it really fits the criteria but well worth a watch.

oh yeah, i watched this the other week and had exactly the same reaction. then it ended and i wasnt sure if I hadnt missed something completely.....

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Heard stuff about Primer(haven't seen), that failing any Shamalamadingdong movie(for bad reasons).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
+1 Memento

Inception ! Good luck with that one.

Inception trys to confuse, but frankly it's linear and dead easy to follow if you ignore the misdirection.

Good standard basis for an action flick is all...

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
Memento is just a mess. Just frustrating. Inception has some nice scenery. Very nice actually.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
@caLLous & @Scouse - Yeah, it's a solid movie, but, BUT, I get really really frustrating that the guy keeps forgetting all the time, it really bugs me, and kills the movie. Personal opinion.

Also, there was not meant to be a connection between, Memento being frustrating, or Inception having nice scenery, fyi.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I get really really frustrating that the guy keeps forgetting all the time, it really bugs me, and kills the movie.

The fact that he forgets all the time doesn't "kill the movie" - it's the whole point.

Inception isn't a "figure it out" movie. It's a by-the-numbers action flick. A great one, yep. Very pretty too - but easy on the brain.

Having said that about Inception - the average standard of "don't think" seems to be turning into Transformers levels of dumbness. I don't consider that to be an actual film. I consider it to be one long special effect and incredibly tedious for it.

I'd love it if the average "action flick" had the level of intellectual engagement as Inception...

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
@Scouse (Someone called Scouser as well) Personally, yeah, I agree with everything you have to say, except for the part regarding Memento. This type of build-up only adds to my frustration, personally, well, just regarding to this specific movie. I like how it all builds up to something, being completely in the dark, and then being completely blind-sided. Just a matter of personal opinion. You guys will probably hate but, Shutter Island did that for me. Yeah yeah, I hadn't figured it out until somewhere near the end. Also, A Beautiful mind.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Donnie Darko. Figure out which bits are reality and which aren't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom