O

old.Cher

well my own spec looks a bit like this

39 blades
18 bow
33 stealth
30 cd
46 pathfinding

i'm autotraining bow, and its still crazy the amount of damage a crit shot, or even a normal shot on any target does in thidranki, and even more fun, i can kick most stealthers arses in one on ones in melee,

its damn good fun watching an inf or sb start to run from u after giving them a sevre arse whooping just to pull out your bow and plink a few shots into them.

but anyhow, i'll probably never get 50 with my ranger, due to my ns's epic lvling problem :rolleyes:

talk to xest when u can about rangers, or marius or revminster, they are all fountains of knowledge

O

old.willowywicca

archer changes in 1.62d now.. so maybe speccing higher bow will be warranted..

O

old.Cher

or simply like me, buy longshot and volley and just carry on :D

N

nocte

i dont think the changes warrent a higher bow. as cher says, i am just getting longshot :>

F

Falcon

Longshot doesn't break BT, it just goes through it, meaning it's still up on the second shot so it's still not particularly worth the points.

Bow is slightly more feasible a spec now, but I wouldn't take it past 35. The new 50 spec 100% damage vs bladeturn is nice, but remember, if you do that you're dead meat vs assassins and wont last more than a second in emain solo or in a small group.

Have to say I'm tempted to go back upto 35 recurve bow now after seeing 1.62e, but certainly not because of 1.62d.

V

vintervargen

my modified spec for 1.62 is

35 + 15 bow
30 + 17 stealth
44 + 17 pierce
21 + 17 cd
36 path

even if you got a buffbot you should have at least 36 in path, the dmg add and speed is worth it. IMO you should spec pierce rather then blades, good against support classes and not as vulerable against str debuffs. spec stealth based on rr5, same with bow, think a while what levels of the upcoming rapid shot/penetrating arrow you want.

D

Dorin

Originally posted by nocte
i dont think the changes warrent a higher bow. as cher says, i am just getting longshot :>

Critical Shot 9 worths to go for [bow spec 27] and maybe with the new archer fixes, 30 is a good idea aswell.

F

Falcon

With the new archers "fixes" you need to spec under 30, or 50 bow, otherwise the changes are nothing but a nerf, let me explain:

- Penetrating arrow is a passive, always on ability, it CAN'T be turned off.
- Penetrating arrow goes through bladeturn, but leaves it up so that it's still there next shot

Now, say you have two archers firing on a target with 6sec PBT, they can get two arrows off before the BT pulses again, say the arrows hit for 300dmg each, so 4 arrows total hitting for 300dmg a peice.

Current system without PA
----------------------------------
- Shot 1 breaks BT, hits for nothing
- Shots 2, 3, 4 hit for 300dmg each
- 900dmg done

System under 30 spec PA
--------------------------------
- All shots hit for 50% dmg, so 150dmg each
- 4 shots hitting for 150dmg = 600dmg
- 600dmg done

The gap in damage grows the harder you hit for and the more rangers you bring into the equation. If you're soloing the following will happen:

Current system without PA
----------------------------------
- Shot 1 breaks BT, hits for nothing
- Shot 2 hits for 300dmg
- 300dmg done

System under 30 spec PA
--------------------------------
- All shots hit for 150dmg
- 2 arrows hitting for 150dmg = 300dmg
- 300dmg done

As you can see it makes 0 difference if you only spec between 30 and 40 bow (Which is the only really viable spec level for a ranger, due to rangers having to spec 5 spec lines, if they take bow any higher they gimp weapon and die to just about everything and anything that gets into melee). If you spec 40 bow you'll get a 25% increase in damage on the few and far occasions you do actually come up against PBT. You could go 50 bow spec and do 100% damage so a 50% bonus when solo but the fact is, the 50% bonus vs PBT is FAR less useful and will help/save you FAR less often than the melee damage you sacrificed to get 50 bow spec.

What am I personally going to do for the moment until PA and so forth has been tested and tweaked further? Stay at 27 recurve spec. Thus, even after 1.62 I'm still awaiting a valid reason from Mythic to go above 27 recurve bow.

BTW, on another note I have longshot and volley now. Longshot is nice (ask the minstrels who thought SoS would save them and let them get away at 5% hp this weekend :p). Volley is superb in keep defence/attack, no longer are you negated by nearsight, GTAE, Assassin zergs and DoTs in keep defence but in open field or solo volley is pretty much totally useless.

Users who are viewing this thread