Best Ranger specc?

T

tildson

I will go 50bow, 39pierce, 35stealth, 11cd and rest pf or similar.

Decent specs, hmm you should check Quivna's (sp?) spec-guide at www.critshot.com -> enter the forums and browse some.

But mostly its a combination of:
bow 35-45
pierce 39-44
stealth 30-35
pf 16- (depends if u got buffbot)
rest in CD

F

Falcon

I just cba to type real replies to ranger spec threads anymore, gonna find an old one and try copy and paste ;)

V

vintervargen

i respecced to
32 stealth (49)
45 bow (62)
44 pierce (61)
27 cd (44)
9 path

think it gonna be :great:

Q

quivna

If you read the part about the race comparison, you know that this dude has no clue about daoc.

/Anpu

-Gunna have to elaborate on that one :)

T

Turamber

Mine will be :-

Celtic Duel 29

Piercing 44

Recurve Bow 35

Pathfinding 25

Stealth 34

My little ranger-ette is only level 35 but is having fun in Caledonia. There do appear to be some imbalances at this early level though ... being outtanked by a minstrel is a bit annoying :eek:

Spec above allows for a nice stun from an evade. Enough time to draw your bow and do a crit shot up close and personal :)

M

mojomoo

out of many try´s I have only ever once managed to get a normal shot off, after the pierce evade stun.
Im specced 39 pierce, 24 cd, 36 pf,32 stealth, 37 bow

i dont have a bot and am pretty happy with my spec so far

C

Crashtje

if ure gunna do taht stun / shoot combo u _need_ haste becos by the time youve drawn you bow etc the stun will have worn off as i have noticed on countless occasions, rangers cant do that slam/shoot imo :/ scouts get a 10second stun in which they pull and shoot, diamondback = 6seconds i thnk with a 3sec draw time 3 secs gettting out out etc :(

R

revminster

Originally posted by Crashtje
if ure gunna do taht stun / shoot combo u _need_ haste becos by the time youve drawn you bow etc the stun will have worn off as i have noticed on countless occasions, rangers cant do that slam/shoot imo :/ scouts get a 10second stun in which they pull and shoot, diamondback = 6seconds i thnk with a 3sec draw time 3 secs gettting out out etc :(

Haste doesnt affect drawtime. However, quickness does. :)

V

vintervargen

depends if you got a buffbot or not.

with buffbot:
45 bow - last RF and 2nd PA
44 pierce - high WS and Dragonspider
9 path - speedshout
34 stealth - 50 @ rr6
24 CD

without buffbot:
40 bow - first RF and 2nd PA
34 pierce - low WS but still the basic styles
40 path - 2nd version of all selfbuffs
32 stealth - 50 @ rr8
20 CD

^ with this one, focus on the 'sniper' playing style, hit and run. and when you are forced into melee, use fast weapons and let the dmg add do the job. without a BB, you dont want to get into melee with a buffed assasin :/

M

mojomoo

dont really think its the best idea for a ranger to spec around pa, as pbt is not something we encounter often, not in my experience anyway.

M

marius_hib

nah done the buick yesterday, luger day today :D

F

Falcon

Over 40 spec bow is a waste no matter what the conditions. 35 optimal unbuffed, 27 is optimal buffed. I still cap frequently with 27 recurve when fully buffed.

Can't remember the last time I encountered PBT with bow on Pryd/Hib now, must've been at least 9months ago now.

A

aralyn

Bow - 35
Pierce - 50
Stealth - 32
CD - 18
PF - 27

and a boofbot!

S

shatar

Why does almost every spec with a ranger have low CD? I would find a spec like this interesting: 40 bow 39 blades 38 cd 35 stealth, and leftover points into pathfinding(4 I belive), Unfortunatly not even first speed.
Why so little CD on all your templates, doesn't it lead to loads of missed second hand blows and a low dmg if it does hit? I am though not in any way an expert at hib classes and spec lines, but I would love some nice input from just such experts :clap:

A

Aran Thule

Originally posted by shatar
Why does almost every spec with a ranger have low CD? I would find a spec like this interesting: 40 bow 39 blades 38 cd 35 stealth, and leftover points into pathfinding(4 I belive), Unfortunatly not even first speed.
Why so little CD on all your templates, doesn't it lead to loads of missed second hand blows and a low dmg if it does hit? I am though not in any way an expert at hib classes and spec lines, but I would love some nice input from just such experts :clap:

As far as i remember CD has no effect on your chances to hit, all you get from it is styles and an extra chance of hitting with both weapons at the same time.

Given we only get 2x points to split on 5 lines its normal for one to be lower then others.
Im your example its PF, if i compare you CD (38) and path (4), verse for example PF (36), CD (8).
Your spec would give CD styles and +15% (i think) chance to double hit at the expence of buffs (str, qui/dex, AF) speed shout and dam add.

Each to thier own but imho PF is needed if you plan to solo and dont have a buffbot, even with a BB i wouldnt negate it.

S

shatar

As far as I understood CD spec line it is the chance to get in your hit with your off-hand weapon (or to get in a hit with both weapons perhaps), mayby I expressed myself badly above. Or I could have understood the CD spec line totaly wrong. I am planning to have a bb and I really doubt if I gain much by the dmg add, the speed shout is the only thing that would make it good to have imo and it get's interrupted by anything (so good for chasing down peeps).
What I really like about the ranger is the good bow dmg and the ability to still have totaly decent meele dmg, and I lub dual wield classes cause I think they are neat. :clap:

C

Cuchuluhain

Siobhians current spec

35 stealth
37 Bow
29 Path
29 CD
39 Pierce

I do fine in PvE but my bow damage output aint that hot and I tend to get mauled by assasin classes, (shit, what archer class doesnt?)

Should I get my grubby mitts on a line respec (or better yet, a full respec)

35 Stealth
40 Bow
29 CD
44 Pierce
11 Path

Better Bow Damage, better melee output and stuff the PF, the buffs dont do jack shit vs buffed to the hilt assasin classes and with the upcoming nerfs, Id best be able to twat someone from range and hope.

V

VidX

fyi: bring stealth above 50 if you are going high bow.

50 stealth means you don't unstealth when drawing a normal shot, 60 is when you remain stealthed upon drawing a critshot.

That's why I am 51 stealth and rising ;)

V

VidX

Originally posted by Falcon
Over 40 spec bow is a waste no matter what the conditions. 35 optimal unbuffed, 27 is optimal buffed. I still cap frequently with 27 recurve when fully buffed.

Can't remember the last time I encountered PBT with bow on Pryd/Hib now, must've been at least 9months ago now.

Higher bow means higher weaponskill, which reduces the chance of evade/block by targets.

Yes, having a total of 55 bow instead of 50 only means an extra 30 damage-or-so, but increasing it will also increase the WS, and makes killing assassins while using TS alot easier.

Justifies it if you are using bow alot.

Current spec for Rayenna:

37 stealth
46 bow
43 pierce
18 CD
16 pf

I'm thinking of dropping pf to 9 and increasing pierce to 44 for the db chain and the slightly higher WS.

And having increased bow from 40 to 46 (meaning 60 total at rr4 from 54) I have seen a BIG difference in the amount of evades targets do against me, I can hit a buffed inf coming towards me 4/5 shots, which was a big improvement over the 1/2 before.

PF is pointless for anything other than the speed shout if you have a BB, even the damage add is useless unless in melee, and you can get alchemy charges for that.

Arguable about CD, but with 18 spec you can raise it to 33 at rr5, which is a decent enough level, and the only style I use is snow Shower anyway, as the DB chain is good off evade.

V

vintervargen

Originally posted by VidX
fyi: bring stealth above 50 if you are going high bow.

50 stealth means you don't unstealth when drawing a normal shot, 60 is when you remain stealthed upon drawing a critshot.

That's why I am 51 stealth and rising ;)

where did you get that imformation from?

for me, i sometimes unstealthed, and sometimes now. seemed to work a bit if you didnt have a target when drawing.

M

mojomoo

if u dont have a target when drawing for a shot u get the dumb 'you cant get a good shot yet' pain in the Ar$e

T

tildson

Originally posted by vintervargen
where did you get that imformation from?

for me, i sometimes unstealthed, and sometimes now. seemed to work a bit if you didnt have a target when drawing.

Ive read it too, check critshot forums somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread