SPAM random annoying things

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Nah never back to the office. Amount of cash saved and time in commuting its just not worth it from a n employee point of view.

Current debate is around this. WFH is probably here to stay in some capacity HOWEVER when you applied to your job (If knowing it was office based) you probably can't demand to only WFH as it wasn't in your original contract. The HR side of this is fucking stupid.

I signed up to work for the company I did, at their office location. If I suddenly say "I refuse to come back to the office" then I'd probably be looking for a different job. Your view is taken into consideration but if the org says "Back to the office" then you go back. Simple as.

You'd be surprised how many employers/ees are dealing with this problem now, there's managing the hybrid approach (My preference) and then dealing with those who are on the extreme side of the argument. This who never want to WFH again and those who never want to office again.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Your corporate office should give you all some clarity. For us headoffice issued a note stating that they have seen the benefits of working from home however they do believe that a hybrid approach will be beneficial for all. They are ok with employees working from home 2 to 3 days per week once the countries health authority have stated that working from the office is ok. Country health authority have stated that they would like people to continue to work from home until the autumn where new advice will be given.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Current debate is around this. WFH is probably here to stay in some capacity HOWEVER when you applied to your job (If knowing it was office based) you probably can't demand to only WFH as it wasn't in your original contract. The HR side of this is fucking stupid.

I signed up to work for the company I did, at their office location. If I suddenly say "I refuse to come back to the office" then I'd probably be looking for a different job. Your view is taken into consideration but if the org says "Back to the office" then you go back. Simple as.

You'd be surprised how many employers/ees are dealing with this problem now, there's managing the hybrid approach (My preference) and then dealing with those who are on the extreme side of the argument. This who never want to WFH again and those who never want to office again.

Problem is for employers who think they can drag employees back to the office full time, especially in tech, is that there are a bunch of other companies happy to keep, and indeed encourage WFH. My company has embraced it and I will be at least 3 days a week WFH going forward (and I suspect it will be a few days a month in the office in reality).

On the flip side my wife's company has said they want everyone in at least three days a week from September and have already had a backlash and are hemorrhaging staff already.

Most companies have seen major productivity gains anyway.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

My Company has said anyone who wants towork from home can long term. As long as you are not needed to be in a physical place because the job demands it.
its allowing the company to down size its office space saving loads on rent and lighting / heating etc.
theres been no notable down turn in sales or profits over the last 2 years so why wouldn’t they?
for me i was a remote worker before all this any way.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just saw an advert for Hair food from Garnier.

people do know that hair is dead right?

stupid product for stupid ppl.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Hair still needs nourishment and looking after, dead or not. But yeah, it's probably a load of bollocks.

I just wash mine with a bar of soap anyway.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Hair still needs nourishment and looking after, dead or not. But yeah, it's probably a load of bollocks.

I just wash mine with a bar of soap anyway.
The body needs nourishment to make hair. The hair itself requires no nourishment.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
One issue I have personally seen with WFH is silo's. Departmental meetings are common but in my experience you get less cross functional dialogue in a WFH environment. Companies need to make sure that does not become an issue.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I'm finding it's not a lot different than before. Those that were slow to act, didn't give much to the group are the ones you don't hear from. Those active before are active now.

Overdriven

My Company has said anyone who wants towork from home can long term. As long as you are not needed to be in a physical place because the job demands it.
its allowing the company to down size its office space saving loads on rent and lighting / heating etc.
theres been no notable down turn in sales or profits over the last 2 years so why wouldn’t they?
for me i was a remote worker before all this any way.

Oh aye, lots and lots of upsides to being remote - As said, I'm all for the hybrid approach. Going to an office to have a "thinking space" is something I need. WFH for me is hard because I need a separation of work and home. But ultimately it's not my decision. If my org says "You now have to WFH full time" or "You now have to come back to the office full time" I/we have to accept it. It's a per-organisation decision. Us mortals have no say in it.

Some companies will do the smart thing and get all the employee contracts sorted out, move people to flexible hours/days (etc etc etc) and some companies will be like "lol, back to work now" and people will complain... Ultimately if they don't like that choice then they have to get a new job. Your contract says you're based in [Office], we did a temporary change to allow you to WFH due to the pandemic, the pandemic is over, go read your contract. You're not a home worker, therefore are in breach of your contract. (You'd think that wouldn't happen but it does)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I'm finding it's not a lot different than before. Those that were slow to act, didn't give much to the group are the ones you don't hear from. Those active before are active now.

This definitely. I know my company is lining up some tickets to the dance for people who it was assumed weren't contributing much in the office, but since WFH started it's become very clear that they definitely aren't.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Problem is for employers who think they can drag employees back to the office full time, especially in tech, is that there are a bunch of other companies happy to keep, and indeed encourage WFH. My company has embraced it and I will be at least 3 days a week WFH going forward (and I suspect it will be a few days a month in the office in reality).

On the flip side my wife's company has said they want everyone in at least three days a week from September and have already had a backlash and are hemorrhaging staff already.

Most companies have seen major productivity gains anyway.

Well that certainly applies to me. I handed in my notice last week because they planned to send techies like me back to the offices next month despite saying I didn't want to do that when I was hired.

Not sure what my future plans will be but right now I honestly don't care.

Overdriven

Well that certainly applies to me. I handed in my notice last week because they planned to send techies like me back to the offices next month despite saying I didn't want to do that when I was hired.

Not sure what my future plans will be but right now I honestly don't care.

There are people in a different team to mine (Pretty much 10 web developers..) who are thinking about this. It's a real issue. Honestly this is why you need to read and argue contracts. "Change this clause" :D

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Facebook and Twitter are offering full time WFH, Apple, Google and MS in the middle, and yes, you guessed it, "the shower of control freak cunts" award goes to...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
There are people in a different team to mine (Pretty much 10 web developers..) who are thinking about this. It's a real issue. Honestly this is why you need to read and argue contracts. "Change this clause" :D
My company is changing the contract of anyone who wants to work at home.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Your company isn't every company though. I still have no idea what mine are doing...but I don't plan on being there much longer.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Your company isn't every company though. I still have no idea what mine are doing...but I don't plan on being there much longer.
Wouldn't every company have to do so though? If you're at home more than 50% of the time, doesn't your home become your main place of work, and should be reflected in your contract?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Wouldn't every company have to do so though? If you're at home more than 50% of the time, doesn't your home become your main place of work, and should be reflected in your contract?

Ordinarily, though my contract is 14 years old now, and I'm not even sure if it's mentioned. I am not even sure if I have a copy any more.

Personally I want to get back into the office and my direct boss seems happy for me to do whatever I like and come and go when I please but just not sure what company policy is.

When I pull my finger out and get a new job I don't actually mind whether I am at home or not, a lot of places seem to be mixing it up. Realistically it's pretty awkward for most people to be at home 100% of the time, depends on the roll obvs. I want to get into a more support roll, BI etc, which is what I spend half my time doing anyway, even though it's not my job.

Last edited:

Overdriven

Yes. If your contract doesn't have it now and companies are reviewing contracts, expect an amendment.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
My dad's old business partner (this story should help explain why 'old') makes his employees have Teams on webcam all day so he can see them working.

Gwadien

I think I've posted that before, so I'll post another story;

my dad used to do 8-5 and he did like wheneverhewanted to about 7PM.

When all the employees who left after my dad left were interviewed by his partner to ask why they think it's okay to leave at the time they were.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
Sounds like some you have really shit doctors, why have you not changed to another surgery?
Edit. Haha, ignore me, I didnt realise that was 5 pages ago.

Gwadien

Jesus christ... Is that legal?

Not likely, he's had lots of court cases recently from clients to employees.

Lost all of them. :D

He had a great business strategy though; over pay people, give them a honeymoon period until they were financially reliant on their overpaid job, then overwork them.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
My dad's old business partner (this story should help explain why 'old') makes his employees have Teams on webcam all day so he can see them working.
I would get a video stream to play all day looping or something setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom