SPAM random annoying things

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Yup, thanks to Brexit Amazon.co.uk is now dead to me and Amazon.de is a week to 10 days to Ireland. On the plus side its stimulated some improvements in the local ecommerce offerings.

Apparently Amazon are going to build an Irish ecommerce operation soon (AWS has a huge operation here).
Um yes. Everything I've done in AWS the last few years has been 90% in Dublin :)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
They have just opened in Sweden.... they are getting better but I still order most stuff from .de.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yup, thanks to Brexit Amazon.co.uk is now dead to me and Amazon.de is a week to 10 days to Ireland. On the plus side its stimulated some improvements in the local ecommerce offerings.

Apparently Amazon are going to build an Irish ecommerce operation soon (AWS has a huge operation here).

I've been trying to buy elsewhere, but sometimes you can only find stuff on Amazon, everywhere out is sold out. The router I bought was sold out everywhere and didn't want to settle for the next model down as I need a certain cut depth and all my tools are Bosch.

The only positive to come out of this pandemic is that it has put our already huge e-commerce market into overdrive.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Royal Mail not delivering letters on time due to covid, but them still being able to drop 10+ leaflets etc daily of advertisement spam.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Royal Mail not delivering letters on time due to covid, but them still being able to drop 10+ leaflets etc daily of advertisement spam.
I sent a jigsaw to my mum yesterday via royal mail was delivered today. I dont see any lasting delivery slow downs now. But anyway the leaflets dont require sorting and routing individually. So of course they wont be slowed as much as normal post. Also it might have been planned for a long time to deliver them and for all you know they have been delayed as well.

if you want to pay even more for posting stuff then ban the leaflets.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

If anything the performance of the postal system over here has improved a lot since COVID.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
PostNord (equivalent to RM) now deliver parcels to a door rather than to a supermarket or delivery point near your home - this is a vast improvement in Stockholm to before CV19.

Gwadien

I sent a jigsaw to my mum yesterday via royal mail was delivered today. I dont see any lasting delivery slow downs now. But anyway the leaflets dont require sorting and routing individually. So of course they wont be slowed as much as normal post. Also it might have been planned for a long time to deliver them and for all you know they have been delayed as well.

if you want to pay even more for posting stuff then ban the leaflets.

At the height of the pandemic we had like 1 letter delivery a month.

That means they had staff sorting out advertisement but not the letters. It's not like they have a delivery to our local depot of 1 months worth of letters at one go.

Bonkers if you ask me.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Not noticed any slow down. But then I get more weed delivered than letters these days. Most post doesn't even get opened. Chances are it's junk. All bills are emailed.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've found RM a lot better this time round than they were first lockdown - 1st Class could take up to 2 weeks back then, now at most it's a couple of days.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Oh and Christ Facebook targeted advertising is starting to get scary. Mentioned to the wife a couple of weeks ago that I'd always wanted a pair of Nike Air Max 90s (and in fairness she bought me some 90Gs) - but ever since then, every time I scroll past the adverts can you guess what they are for?

It's working as well, as I'm now trying to justify buying another pair...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Oh and Christ Facebook targeted advertising is starting to get scary. Mentioned to the wife a couple of weeks ago that I'd always wanted a pair of Nike Air Max 90s (and in fairness she bought me some 90Gs) - but ever since then, every time I scroll past the adverts can you guess what they are for?

It's working as well, as I'm now trying to justify buying another pair...

I read a article once, where some guy from Facebook was trying to downplay idea that they listened to peoples convos for ads, his argument was basically that they have no need because they can infer your tastes from what you do online, probably to point they know better than you do what you want next. Wasn't very comforting even if they don't listen :)

As a fun tip if you use Facebook you can go and remove all the targeted ad data, it then becomes super specific to what you have been receiving or looking at on Facebook, a friend shared a pic of a baby and now im getting breastfeeding clothing and maternity pants advertised

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
At the height of the pandemic we had like 1 letter delivery a month.

That means they had staff sorting out advertisement but not the letters. It's not like they have a delivery to our local depot of 1 months worth of letters at one go.

Bonkers if you ask me.
We dont get much from the RM now. mainly letters from banks or such. So a letter a month wouldnt be that unusual. However, it always takes longer for post to go from me to barrow-upon-soar than it does to go to stevenage. And from barrow to either me or my mum.

so i think its a local issue rather than a wider RM issue.

Gwadien

We dont get much from the RM now. mainly letters from banks or such. So a letter a month wouldnt be that unusual. However, it always takes longer for post to go from me to barrow-upon-soar than it does to go to stevenage. And from barrow to either me or my mum.

so i think its a local issue rather than a wider RM issue.

No, I'm saying that we got about 30 days of letters in 1 day.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
No, I'm saying that we got about 30 days of letters in 1 day.

Our local post office was in the news because they found years worth of mail/spam had been dumped by the mail guy instead of delivering the stuff.

Not sure whats sadder, that he hated his job so much he would rather dump it than do it or that he did it for years and no one noticed (shows how little worthwhile stuff comes via mail these days)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I wonder what their lawn trimming policy is.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Nope, it was on the news at the time.
Yes they put out a notice that this could be an issue. But for the different areas represented here none have had your experience. And that was announced a few months ago. The rates are so much lower now.
if they still delivering you once a month you just got lazy arsed postmen

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It annoys the shit out of me that we know we should move to a fully organic smaller scale (not mega-crop) farming model but the government reviews aren't even considering it.

Smaller scale biodiverse farms have a much higher density of productivity per square meter of land than these large mega-farms, don't wreck the soil and work hand in hand with nature. They are, however, more people-intensive - but that could absolutely be a good thing if we paid for farm labour properly.

It would also cut out this shit:

and put paid to this genetically modified bullshit:
The scientists said their work contradicts claims that declines in the amount of pesticides used is reducing their environmental impact. The research also shows that the toxic impact of pesticides used on genetically modified crops remains the same as conventional crops, despite claims that GM crops would reduce the need for pesticides.

The whole thing about GM crops and pesticide reduction is bollocks. What hubris to think that we can improve on nature. It's fucking bullshit - pesticide use and GM resistant crops lay waste to the animals, plants and the very soil we rely on and their use weaponises nature against us - natrual selection means that insects and crop diseases are evolving rapidly to be more efficient, more resistant and more serious than if we hadn't been forcing them to die in huge swathes.

Our whole human mindset needs changing across the board.

Last edited:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Sorry but no. GM crops can be great. Bt Brinjal for instance.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Sorry but no. GM crops can be great. Bt Brinjal for instance.
Sorry but disagree. It's an ecological disaster in the offing. For the same reasons in that article (and others).

We need to rethink industrial agriculture from the ground up. It's hubris to think we can engineer our way out of problems we've made for ourselves and we're fucking the planet doing it.

Our problems isn't that we can't feed the people. We've proven methods to do exactly that. It's that it doesn't fit with multibilliondollar centralised industries.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Crops that are resistant to their main pests without pesticides are bad somehow?

Bollocks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom