SPAM random annoying things

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
So - I've been looking at sim only 4G broadband deals.

They seem to cost the same as if you get tied into their router? I don't get it. If the router's £100 and you get unlimited 4G for, say, £22/month on a 12-monther then they could drop that by a tenner a month and make the same profit.

But sim only, it's still £22/month, so why would you not take the hardware out of them?

The little Huawei routers they offer cost fuck all so for hardware its high margin. I've got several knocking around; I'm sure I could send you one and you just need to put a SIM in. Having said that, is your 4G coverage any good? Last time I was in Snowdonia it was useless.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The little Huawei routers they offer cost fuck all so for hardware its high margin. I've got several knocking around; I'm sure I could send you one and you just need to put a SIM in. Having said that, is your 4G coverage any good? Last time I was in Snowdonia it was useless.
Yeah. I'm not far from a mast. I can get 50mbps+ 4G+ through my mobile. Should have just gone there in the first place.

The Huawei routers EE sell with their broadband are about £100 separately - about £400 for their 5G one (which is supposed to be great - and that's the vodafone one I think). It's a T-mobile mast tho - so EE. They're £37/month for unlimited data - 3 is only £18/month. Don't know what the qualitative difference would be.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Fucking regex expressions. Any experts in the house?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I am using regexr.com but part of the regex is not changeable.

This part is fixed
Code:
^[\s]*(server|pool)[\s]+

so I need a regex using that as the first part and can also match on the word "ntp" so that the following is matched as a pass

server pr-c-ntp
Think I have sussed it.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Gonna be a long time till you get 5g

I got myself a 5G phone a couple of months ago, and got to say, 5G is one of the most thoroughly whelming bits of tech I've seen so far. Might be the way it's been implemented by EE, but Speedtest results, even with full signal in the centre of Brum, result in incredibly similar speeds to what I got when I first moved to 4G.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They are putting a new mast up less that a mile from me which will have 5g. Great thing is that they have already pulled the old one down so my coverage atm as absolute dogshit at home.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
They are putting a new mast up less that a mile from me which will have 5g. Great thing is that they have already pulled the old one down so my coverage atm as absolute dogshit at home.
Don't they just add shit to the current mast? Weird.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
No, the area is being developed so they had to move it, piss annoying they couldn't do it all at the same time, different hard hat I guess.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I am using regexr.com but part of the regex is not changeable.

This part is fixed
Code:
^[\s]*(server|pool)[\s]+

so I need a regex using that as the first part and can also match on the word "ntp" so that the following is matched as a pass

server pr-c-ntp
Code:
^[\s]*(server|pool)[\s]+.*ntp$
?

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I got myself a 5G phone a couple of months ago, and got to say, 5G is one of the most thoroughly whelming bits of tech I've seen so far. Might be the way it's been implemented by EE, but Speedtest results, even with full signal in the centre of Brum, result in incredibly similar speeds to what I got when I first moved to 4G.

After working with 5G telcos for a bit last year think most of them are just going to rebrand 4G LTE as 5G until they get proper hardware in place. In one 5G hotspot downtown a friend mamaged about 800Mbps on his contract, which is fast, but i have 300 on 4G in same spot 🤷‍♂️ for cost reason alone its not really worth it at the moment

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
This pleases my inner nerd :)

It triggers me :) It's a answer but my inner nerd tells me it's not the completely correct answer. I also blame @Deebs for not being precise enough in his specification. Is ' ntp' valid or must it be '-ntp' and are other alternatives valid. Is the end of line $ terminator really required?

fml. I have obviously done too many regex in the past :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
I try to purge regex wherever j go :D Just today i had to remove some regex fiddling, some previous developer had decided to write a percentage as a string then later in the same flow regex the value out instead of just using the original value he used to make the string in the first place

Very satisfying removal :D

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Just today i had to remove some regex fiddling, some previous developer had decided to write a percentage as a string then later in the same flow regex the value out instead of just using the original value he used to make the string in the first place

:eek:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There is a guy that used to work for us that over complicated things becuase he thought it made him look clever, he retired last year some time. He still comes in every now and again to carry out a few tasks, it boils his piss that half the shit he had done, I have tidied up and streamlined.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It triggers me :) It's a answer but my inner nerd tells me it's not the completely correct answer. I also blame @Deebs for not being precise enough in his specification. Is ' ntp' valid or must it be '-ntp' and are other alternatives valid. Is the end of line $ terminator really required?

fml. I have obviously done too many regex in the past :)
Pretty sure I said to match on "ntp", not "-ntp".

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I didn't go with that as I am sure I used grouping for ntp.
I don't think you need grouping if you're only looking for one thing and are just seeing if it matches (as opposed to extracting it). I could be wrong but I don't see the advantages in this instance.

They put

Code:
(server|pool)

(no inline code in Xen?) in brackets because it'll match either "server" or "pool".

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't think you need grouping if you're only looking for one thing and are just seeing if it matches (as opposed to extracting it). I could be wrong but I don't see the advantages in this instance.

They put

Code:
(server|pool)

(no inline code in Xen?) in brackets because it'll match either "server" or "pool".
I'll try it without grouping when I re-run the report.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Right it works without grouping and I do not need the trailing $.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The trailing $ means it won't match if there's anything after "ntp". ^ means the start of the string you're matching against and $ is the end.

So, with the $, "server pr-c-ntp" would match but "server pr-c-ntp blah" wouldn't

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Because it's cheap, quick and easy...basically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom