SPAM random annoying things

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Last time I did a new build it took me about 45 minutes and it worked first time - guess that's the benefit of previously working for a Server Manufacturer.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I used to but do enough of them over the years, and I have, and the novelty starts to wear off. Especially those times you finally press the power button that first time and absolutely nothing happens. :mad:
That's part of the fun!

The idea of buying premade just doesn't compute with me anymore.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
That's part of the fun!

The idea of buying premade just doesn't compute with me anymore.

Since this machine is my main PC, multi screen game station, RAID tower file server, A/V capture card etc the idea of having to rebuild and recable everything internally and outside is making me break out in a cold sweat.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Since this machine is my main PC, multi screen game station, RAID tower file server, A/V capture card etc the idea of having to rebuild and recable everything internally and outside is making me break out in a cold sweat.
Eww.

Seperation!

Zarjazz

Eww.

Seperation!

Considering I also have 3 NAS servers, 3 Linux machines, 2 Raspberry PI's, a streaming server and more monitors than NASA if I separated any more I think I'd need my own data centre.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Considering I also have 3 NAS servers, 3 Linux machines, 2 Raspberry PI's, a streaming server and more monitors than NASA if I separated any more I think I'd need my own data centre.
FFS.

Virtualisation.

I have

1 main pc
2 NAS (one has 16 drives in it, the other has 6 drives)
6 Raspberry PIs (HSM, NTP servers, tvheadend, home automation)
3 streaming headends (2 intel nucs, 1 Minix U9-H)
3 monitors (two of which are those Dell ones)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Seperation!
Nah. One box.

Especially for video store. As far as I can see, people buy NASes and suffer hardware failures and lose their shit. With 'dose you just import your drives elsewhere.

Maybe you can resolve that, of course, but I'd done with my techie learning :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Nah. One box.

Especially for video store. As far as I can see, people buy NASes and suffer hardware failures and lose their shit. With 'dose you just import your drives elsewhere.

Maybe you can resolve that, of course, but I'd done with my techie learning :)
What bollox is this?

You buy a NAS which can survive a hardware failure, be it a drive(s), PSU or MB. Make sure the data can be imported into another system. I use ZFS and can import my pool into FreeNas or any system that supports OpenZFS (as long as my feature flags are at the same or lower level)

What happens in your main pc with a single drive and that fails? Anyway, BACKUPS!

Zarjazz

FFS.

Virtualisation.

FFS. Granny. Suck. Eggs :rolleyes: ;)

I can't visualise most of it since - 1 Linux + Nvidia card for ML dev work. 1 Linux + AMD for OpenCL dev work and SRV-IO, DPDK testing. 1 Linux for scratch server, container and virtualisation testing, screaming that K8's is wank and why can't things be simple anymore. I do have a plan to consolidate the NAS's but that's non-urgent as honestly all the sailing across the internet in a pirate ship has slowed down since streaming in now so easy.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

I can't visualise most of it since - 1 Linux + Nvidia card for ML dev work. 1 Linux + AMD for OpenCL dev work and SRV-IO, DPDK testing. 1 Linux for scratch server, container and virtualisation testing, screaming that K8's is wank and why can't things be simple anymore. I do have a plan to consolidate the NAS's but that's non-urgent as honestly all the sailing across the internet in a pirate ship has slowed down since streaming in now so easy.
Depending on the hypervisor used you should be able to do passthrough for all those workloads. I have never needed to do passthrough of GPUs so have no direct experience.

Zarjazz

Depending on the hypervisor used you should be able to do passthrough for all those workloads. I have never needed to do passthrough of GPUs so have no direct experience.

That's SR-IOV and one of the things I'm playing around with. In theory you could put multiple GPU, even different vendors, in a single server and pass-thru one or partial slices to individual VM's. This is the kind of shit I do when I'm bored during lockdown.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
When I built my current PC it didn't boot with no indication as to what was wrong. I was tearing my hair out, reseating everything inside, trying it with 1 DIMM in each slot etc. I could not figure out what was causing it to fail.

It turned out, if you use a naff DisplayPort cable which isn't standards-compliant (which is actually a surprising number of them), the power pin is connected at both ends, causing the monitor to send a tiny bit of power backwards down the cable which completely confuses the PSU or motherboard or whatever and causes it to panic and instantly turn off.

So, I learned something new that day. Either boot without the cable plugged in and plug it in after you're through the POST (obviously a pain in the arse) or buy a standards-compliant cable.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
When I built my current PC it didn't boot with no indication as to what was wrong. I was tearing my hair out, reseating everything inside, trying it with 1 DIMM in each slot etc. I could not figure out what was causing it to fail.

It turned out, if you use a naff DisplayPort cable which isn't standards-compliant (which is actually a surprising number of them), the power pin is connected at both ends, causing the monitor to send a tiny bit of power backwards down the cable which completely confuses the PSU or motherboard or whatever and causes it to panic and instantly turn off.

So, I learned something new that day. Either boot without the cable plugged in and plug it in after you're through the POST (obviously a pain in the arse) or buy a standards-compliant cable.

When I built this rig I genuinely thought the i7 8700k was a simple socket 1151 form processor. Lots of parts went to and from Amazon before I found out there is a socket 1151 V2 :rolleyes:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
When I built this rig I genuinely thought the i7 8700k was a simple socket 1151 form processor. Lots of parts went to and from Amazon before I found out there is a socket 1151 V2 :rolleyes:
Use pcpartpicker It shows compatible stuffs ;)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
FFS.

Virtualisation.

I have

1 main pc
2 NAS (one has 16 drives in it, the other has 6 drives)
6 Raspberry PIs (HSM, NTP servers, tvheadend, home automation)
3 streaming headends (2 intel nucs, 1 Minix U9-H)
3 monitors (two of which are those Dell ones)
6 Pi's???

Level1techs did a bunch of stuff mucking around with passthroughs

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"What worries many scientists is that this new climate era we are entering means many places now experience weather conditions beyond anything local ecosystems - or indeed human communities - have evolved to endure"

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
6 Pi's???

Level1techs did a bunch of stuff mucking around with passthroughs
Yeh, for example my 2 NTP servers cannot be virtualised due to the hardware they require to be stratum 1. Same for the home automation hub. Oh and I have some running flight tracking stuff.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Busting two drill bit drilling into the stone wall of my house, fuck only know what it's made of. It's sandstone outside, certainly isn't inside.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Got a mate who works in management in the EA - they're simply not equipped to agressively go after transgressors.

I'd ramp up their powers, ramp up the potential consequences (fines), provide 5 years of seed-funding and then ensure that fine money from successful prosecutions went back into the pot to provide self-sustaining funding.

We'll never get on top of fly-tipping until tips become free again (which is why they were made free in the first place), but prosecutions against big pollutors are practically non-existent and they do business with impunity.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
B0B863F2-E3C3-480A-8C20-07DB7693F5A3.jpeg
sat next to this and the outside pane decided to spontaneously fail.

weird

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Looks to me like something hit it on the bottom right side in the middle square.
Nope. And its one big pain. But it does seem like the fault is eminating out from the right side near the bottom as you say. The surface is smooth outside and unless it was shot at with a bb gun nothing that could hit it.

@Edmond seen this before?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Nope. And its one big pain. But it does seem like the fault is eminating out from the right side near the bottom as you say. The surface is smooth outside and unless it was shot at with a bb gun nothing that could hit it.

@Edmond seen this before?

This is toughened glass, you can usually see where it starts from, and yes i would say the bottom of the middle square, but as you say its one pane.

It could be a spacing packer behind the bead that has always been there but has always been a little bit tight. The slam of the door or just general expansion/contraction is enough to set it off. The weakest part of toughened glass is the edge, you can smash the hell out of the surface with a hammer and it will not break, but tap the bare edge and boom!!

I'm not coming down to Cornwall to change it for you either :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
This is toughened glass, you can usually see where it starts from, and yes i would say the bottom of the middle square, but as you say its one pane.

It could be a spacing packer behind the bead that has always been there but has always been a little bit tight. The slam of the door or just general expansion/contraction is enough to set it off. The weakest part of toughened glass is the edge, you can smash the hell out of the surface with a hammer and it will not break, but tap the bare edge and boom!!

I'm not coming down to Cornwall to change it for you either :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Damn you dont want a weeks vacation thrown in haha.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
A website hosting company that insists on me either having a static IP to access their FTP servers (which costs money) or asking them to whitelist my IP every time my modem reconnects (which can be multiple times a day). That's not normal, is it? Their firewall seems to be ridiculously tight, I never had problems with it for the first 10 or so years of my time with them.

Zarjazz

A website hosting company that insists on me either having a static IP to access their FTP servers (which costs money) or asking them to whitelist my IP every time my modem reconnects (which can be multiple times a day). That's not normal, is it? Their firewall seems to be ridiculously tight, I never had problems with it for the first 10 or so years of my time with them.

The bigger problem is them still using FTP which is probably why they are being so anal about who can access it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's not something I've come across before but FTP is a pretty naff protocol these days :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom