SPAM random annoying things

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I need a new keyboard because my cat jumped on this one and broke bits of it :(

Christ you must have one hell of a cat that is able to break things off a keyboard :)
🐈

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My cat kicked over a glass of coke all over my keyboard the other week.

I treated myself to a Razor Huntsman, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
@Yoni I did it because it made me uncomfortable. The career I want and the position I want means I need to be able to talk to executives and senior leadership/management. The idea of "Just being a team lead" or "just being a developer" doesn't cut it for me. I'm currently trying to get the "Head of Engineering for the UK" where I work but won't be able to for a while as there are skills I need which I am putting myself in a position to get. Is it fun? No. Do I want to do it? Not really. Am I being made to by managers? No. Are the people I talk to scary? No.

In my mind, they are my senior and have more experience than me therefore I can't just approach them because I don't know as much as them. This is a bullshit mindset which people need to get rid of. They were in my position too once and they grew. The difference between people I work with and the people I want to work with is that I'm aware of this and want people to grow to the point where they're comfortable.

The world isn't great, not everyone wants to "change", but I will ALWAYS give people the option to - But if we've worked in the same team for 12 months and you've not contributed to a team meeting beyond standups in the last 12 months things will get uncomfortable. In ALL my 121s I ask for feedback, regardless of negative and positive. I'm completely honest with my team (Sometimes in a bad way, I am human) and they know nothing they say will be offended. We've argued as a team and then just got on with it and changed as needed.

Functioning team of non-functional humans.

Anyway. (Love you really @Moriath <3)

I need a new keyboard because my cat jumped on this one and broke bits of it :(
Awesome that you are ambitious but not everyone is as ambitious as you clearly seem to be - Senior managers may have experience but they can also learn a lot from newer generations of employees especially in the more technical fields.

Remember as you continue your journey that should your employee’s not meet the brief some of that failure is the responsibility of their manager - it isn’t necessarily about 1-2-1s and being able to take feed back - a good employee / potential manager / senior manager goes in to those able to talk through their own weaknesses and improvement points due to good self-reflection.

Btw if you have team members who are not contributing in meetings have you just asked them why that is? Maybe they re not comfortable with the environment you have created?.... Self-reflection

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
you can also damage people. Dont quote two cases and say case proven.

it worked for you ok good. But somewhere theres someone who is dreading the thing they have been asked to do even though they do their day job without any issue. Cause some dude who has a care responsibility to them is causing them sleepless nights and anxiety.

The good thing about snowflakes is that they eventually melt on their own. They'd need to be very special to justify their own freezer to preserve them in.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
My cat kicked over a glass of coke all over my keyboard the other week.

I treated myself to a Razor Huntsman, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I found the solution for all cat related keyboard damages.

cover.jpg

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I personally favour the "sink or swim" approach at work - I've always been quite comfortable in conversation with most levels, but previous issues with anxiety meant I wasn't comfortable talking in front of large groups. However I also wanted to move into Consulting, a large part of which involves speaking to groups of all levels - Presentations, Discoveries, Workshops etc, so in order to do that I had to get comfortable. Luckily my company have been pretty good about it, breaking me in gently (oo err) going from fairly simple Product Demos to multi-million dollar pitches without ever feeling too uncomfortable. I still get pretty nervous before I start, but 30 seconds in I'm quite happy, and usually quite difficult to shut up :)

What I will say however, is that I think it worked because, even though I was forced to do the presentations, it was my choice to go for a job that featured them heavily. If I was a programmer or other techie role beforehand it may not have been quite so successful.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
The fact that it's July and I have had to get the slippers out.

11 degrees, GTFO.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Also, basically a monopoly in every region. Anglia water are abysmal.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Films where the characters say 'shall we get some beer?' and then come out with a tiny little 6 pack for 2 to share!!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Films where the characters say 'shall we get some beer?' and then come out with a tiny little 6 pack for 2 to share!!
Films and tv programs where people buy food or a drink and get up and leave after hardly touching it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Or they light up a cigarette, take 2 puffs and then put it out. Yeah, as if that's going to happen.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What's your point?
Firstly - I was being a little glib. (And I'm not strongly commited to the below either) ...

However, if the Liverpool captain and England regular can't/won't commit to her career as a professional footballer then it isn't helpful for the image of the professional female game and undermines the calls for parity with the male game that are regularly made.

She may feel the need to help out the family business at a time of crisis - and that's laudible - but perhaps use your salary to hire someone, and keep on with your career as a pro.

It's an un-pro move from an "elite level" "professional" athlete.

At a time when the women's game is fighting to justify it's relevance (gets level-billing on the beeb website for example) if some of it's highest profile players can do this it undermines all of those parity arguments.

Imagine if it was the men's liverpool captain. Sorry Jurgen, I'm taking time off to help with the family business...

I sympathise, but if that's indicative of the level of dedication at the top level of the female game...

Time to choose - are you a footballer or a care home manager?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Firstly - I was being a little glib. (And I'm not strongly commited to the below either) ...

However, if the Liverpool captain and England regular can't/won't commit to her career as a professional footballer then it isn't helpful for the image of the professional female game and undermines the calls for parity with the male game that are regularly made.

She may feel the need to help out the family business at a time of crisis - and that's laudible - but perhaps use your salary to hire someone, and keep on with your career as a pro.

It's an un-pro move from an "elite level" "professional" athlete.

At a time when the women's game is fighting to justify it's relevance (gets level-billing on the beeb website for example) if some of it's highest profile players can do this it undermines all of those parity arguments.

Imagine if it was the men's liverpool captain. Sorry Jurgen, I'm taking time off to help with the family business...

I sympathise, but if that's indicative of the level of dedication at the top level of the female game...

Time to choose - are you a footballer or a care home manager?

I honestly have no idea how much top flight women's footballers get paid, or this woman's personal circumstances, so I can't comment, but I suspect the pay isnt great.

I'm a bit ambivalent about the current promotion of women's football anyway; I can see why its important to show women's sport in an aspirational way, but objectively an average men's League 2 game is better football, and they don't get fawned over by the BBC.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Taking FreddysHouse offline for around 15 minutes.

Fucking powered down the wrong VM and then proceeded to patch the bios/nic/hypervisor thinking the webserver was running on another hypervisor. Fucksake.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Taking FreddysHouse offline for around 15 minutes.

Fucking powered down the wrong VM and then proceeded to patch the bios/nic/hypervisor thinking the webserver was running on another hypervisor. Fucksake.
TEST TEST TEST

:D

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
TEST TEST TEST

:D
I do it all the time, just today I had the new webserver up and running (same name as old). I powered down the old (live) server and then started the patch process.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Having to go into the office for a meeting, that ends up being 10 minutes long.

Zarjazz

Why did my gaming PC have to completely die now when the new Nvidia 3080's are supposed to out in September. Fucking machine couldn't last another few weeks. That bastard.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Why did my gaming PC have to completely die now when the new Nvidia 3080's are supposed to out in September. Fucking machine couldn't last another few weeks. That bastard.
Motherboard or PSU?

Zarjazz

Motherboard or PSU?

No idea. The CPU is being thermally throttled and then cuts out. Replaced the cooling fan. No change. Replaced the CPU (it's an old and cheap mode) and no change. So it could be the motherboard I guess or a faulty PSU but I really can't be arsed to replaced either of those, especially having to rebuild everything if I replace the mobo, only for even that to not work and possibly waste even more money.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
No idea. The CPU is being thermally throttled and then cuts out. Replaced the cooling fan. No change. Replaced the CPU (it's an old and cheap mode) and no change. So it could be the motherboard I guess or a faulty PSU but I really can't be arsed to replaced either of those, especially having to rebuild everything if I replace the mobo, only for even that to not work and possibly waste even more money.
So new build then?

Zarjazz

So new build then?

Yup. That's what I'm going to have to do but I'm not looking forward to it. The idea of just buying a premade or custom machine is looking damn attractive at the moment.

Zarjazz

I always enjoy building mine.

I used to but do enough of them over the years, and I have, and the novelty starts to wear off. Especially those times you finally press the power button that first time and absolutely nothing happens. :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom