SPAM random annoying things

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Actually it seems that in english there's no differentiation between a flu and influenza, in Finnish the flu is basically common cold and influenza is the nastier ones. Explains the miscommunication :p

Was talking about the common cold, as per context.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Actually it seems that in english there's no differentiation between a flu and influenza, in Finnish the flu is basically common cold and influenza is the nastier ones. Explains the miscommunication :p

Was talking about the common cold, as per context.

Clue is in the name: influenza

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Clue is in the name: influenza

Clue is in language differences. these things happen, bet there'd be a few if you tried to explain things in Finnish :p

Atleast i took the time to find out if there's a possible problem that can be explained before arguing about this for pages on end ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Back on topic;

Selecting between two groups of friends who decide to have a halloween party on the same night, carefully executed so that they overlap completely :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
As said, overlapping. Would also mean an hours travel between the two. Might as well compromise and stay home and meet all at the bar later :p

As for you Scouse, you still need to learn that knowing a language doesn't mean that you understand all the ways of it. This being a perfect example.

On that note;

People who don't notice context.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
This being a perfect example

Why didn't you just admit that you didn't know that flu = influenza and that you were wrong?

According to google translate it's influenssa in Finnish - so is hardly that different...

:)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I said i didn't know that you don't have the same difference between a flu and influenza. That was after my post though as i tried to find out if there's a difference in language(which there was).

I wasn't wrong in anything i said though, i was talking about the common cold, which is flunssa in Finnish, which translates to flu in english while influenssa translates to influenza and in Finnish influenssa and flunssa are different.

See how this might cause a problem? :D

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
As said, overlapping. Would also mean an hours travel between the two. Might as well compromise and stay home and meet all at the bar later :p

As for you Scouse, you still need to learn that knowing a language doesn't mean that you understand all the ways of it. This being a perfect example.

On that note;

People who don't notice context.
You should totally go to both...
That way each group gets exactly one hour without you there :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Problem solved; sent both party people a message saying i'm not sure if i can make it, hoping one of them gets uppity about it so i can "get angry" and go to the other :p

Trolling solves everything.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Meh, they are friends. I'd just be honest and say I don't think I can make both, pick one by flipping a coin and meet the others later in town anyway :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Both will probably be shit, themed partys usually are.

DaGaffer

I said i didn't know that you don't have the same difference between a flu and influenza. That was after my post though as i tried to find out if there's a difference in language(which there was).

I wasn't wrong in anything i said though, i was talking about the common cold, which is flunssa in Finnish, which translates to flu in english while influenssa translates to influenza and in Finnish influenssa and flunssa are different.

See how this might cause a problem? :D

In this case you're going to have to take one for the team, the "team" being all of Finland. If flunssa means cold and flu, (which, fair enough, according to Google, it does) then that's retarded, since they're completely different diseases. So you were still wrong, just wrong in the company of 5 million others.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
How can you say that? You have no idea the nuances of the Finnish language.

Doing a Google search doesn't cut it.

DaGaffer

How can you say that? You have no idea the nuances of the Finnish language.

Doing a Google search doesn't cut it.

Yes it does in context. Since Toht is claiming it means both things and Google is backing him up, then yeah, calling two different diseases by the same name is dumb (or Toht is lying, in which case he's dumb). "Nuances of Finnish" doesn't matter does it?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
DaGaffer said:
Yes it does in context. Since Toht is claiming it means both things and Google is backing him up, then yeah, calling two different diseases by the same name is dumb (or Toht is lying, in which case he's dumb). "Nuances of Finnish" doesn't matter does it?

No he says one is a cold the other is influenza and that they are not the same which is why he thought flu and influenza were different.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
DaGaffer said:
No he's not. Read it again.

Yes he is!!

old.Tohtori said:
the common cold, which is flunssa in Finnish, which translates to flu in english while influenssa translates to influenza and in Finnish influenssa and flunssa are different.

That's what I wrote in my previous post just in different words.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Hah yeah i guess if you look at it that way it does :D

-ssa usually means "in something", as in talo=house, talossa= in house. Though we do have singular words that have an -ssa too, like kissa(cat), flunssa and such, so if you have something in a cat it's kissa-ssa.

As an added bonus; since a kisa means race, kissa means cat, flunssa means cold and -ssa means "in/at something"....ahem...

Flunssassa kissakisassa.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Flunssa translates to "a cold" in English - not flu. Influenssa translates to flu or influenza.

So this:
toht said:
the common cold, which is flunssa in Finnish, which translates to flu in english

Is the problem...

:)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
People going on and on about some inane point like the definition of flu in different languages and shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom