SPAM random annoying things

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
We're currently in a 3 storey property that was thrown up by the lowest bidder in 2006, and other than the thin walls (we're looking at detached so less of an issue) and the shit eco khazis (break all the time, need at least 2 flushes) it's been fine. Admittedly we've just been living here, so haven't looked into things structurally, but not had any real complaints - did built quality take a turn for the worse after then? The one we've looked at we'd actually have more storage space than we have now, given it comes with a garage which this house doesn't.

As mentioned we were originally going to buy this place, in which case we could cope with living in a building site for a while. From what we can see it will need a new kitchen and boiler, and would look to knock a couple of walls through to make the living areas more open plan, all quite sensible. However if we were to move we'd like somewhere ready-to-go, hence looking at new builds and already refurbished townhouses. Problem is the ready refurbished stuff is going at a premium, which in our situation keeps leading us back to new builds.

I'd also look on the car-centric thing as being a big plus, given that's how I get around.
Well one bonus of no structural walls and all stud partitions is you just have to lean heavily on them to knock through. Haha

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
yes i understand the valuation thing. Its difficult and a process that should be made fit for the modern world. As it is its just a place for conveyancers to print money with the end users taking all the risk.
i been lucky and never had a chain. But those are the worst. One person in a chain of 10 or so movers has an issue everyone is fucked.

new builds paper thin walls. All stud partitions. I hate stud partitions with a passion. as tom said 70’s or earlier or a one off build thats been done by someone not a big constrction company. And dont go near a lease hold.

my house was build in 1990 but was made by the people who owned the land not a big estate build. Lovely solid walls.
I'll take stud partition over lathe and plaster, bane of my life.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
There must be a sweet spot with houses and how they were built. Maybe Georgian up to the 70s.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Modern buildings come with a 25 year or so life-span which is pretty crazy when it's pretty bad for the environment in having to rebuild and having to heat shit buildings.

It's just weird that we accepted it to go onto housing too, at our cost.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The approach in Ireland is exactly the opposite; you won't get planning permission without cycle lanes on estates and to and from them.

Here it's entirely dependent on the council's Local Plan, which will detail planning requirements. Currently in Trafford, where I live, it's mostly concerned with percentage of cycle parking spaces, etc. AFAIK there's little to nothing insisting that estates be properly connected to existing routes, so you tend to end up with nonsense like this:

That's a one mile walk to cross from one estate to the next. But it gets worse:

Despite a legal footpath existing in the industrial estate, nobody thought to build a footbridge across the canal. It's hardly a pretty section of canal so I doubt there would have been objections. And so, to visit the supermarket about 300 yards distant, you have to drive. And you have to cross a tiny little old canal bridge that's been hit so many times it now has traffic lights and massive bollards on it, or you have to go the other way to the horribly congested A56.

It's basic stuff that councils across the land don't seem to get. They're focussed on building in more capacity for driving, when a simple shitty little footbridge with 1:20 ramps for disabled access can actually negate arguments for widening roads.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
So they started fitting my new office today. After the bloke left the wife says the desks look really narrow. Went and measured them and they are 450mm depth. The plans say 600mm. They are fucking useless. Why is everyone so fucking shit?

:(

Tom

I am a FH squatter
In contrast, a local house developer actually listened to some of my criticism and made some changes. They had a 2m wide footpath out of this estate in the original plans. I asked it be made 3m to enable a shared footway for walking and cycling (government standards have 3m as a minimum width for walking and cycling). And they've actually done just that. Pretty happy about that, especially as it solves an intractable problem on the main road to the east - its so narrow protected cycle lanes cannot be built. It's a very important road locally and if these houses get built, cyclists would finally have a comfortable way to bypass much of it.

Old plan (path top left)

screenshot-publicaccess.trafford.gov.uk-2021.03.21-12_21_10.png

Cropped version of new plan - path now widened and formalised in the centre.

screenshot-publicaccess.trafford.gov.uk-2021.06.23-23_44_13.png

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
In contrast, a local house developer actually listened to some of my criticism and made some changes. They had a 2m wide footpath out of this estate in the original plans. I asked it be made 3m to enable a shared footway for walking and cycling (government standards have 3m as a minimum width for walking and cycling). And they've actually done just that. Pretty happy about that, especially as it solves an intractable problem on the main road to the east - its so narrow protected cycle lanes cannot be built. It's a very important road locally and if these houses get built, cyclists would finally have a comfortable way to bypass much of it.

Old plan (path top left)

View attachment 44456

View attachment 44457

No comment on the rest of your post, just the first line. You would not believe the complete lack of comment on planning application processes, then the amount of whinging after plans have been finalised/signed off. We have a few things going on locally, and we always cover them in Parish council meetings and object/comment where we think we should and where people have asked us to. This is why they pretty much do what they want, people only seem to care once a thing is finished, and it is affecting their house price, then whine at the wrong people.

Most things get the go ahead so long as they meet basic planning regs because very few people can be arsed to comment/object.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Old plan (path top left)

View attachment 44456

View attachment 44457
That's because widening your path isn't interfering with their yield and they will get to pick up the brownie points for your idea

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Found another sprig of Japanese Knotweed about 30 yards from where it is supposed to be. :eek:

It's in a stream bed, I'm guessing that a fragment broke off during heavy rainfall and got caught in the reeds and when the waters receeded it took root.

Now I'm trying to figure out when to treat it - it's in a watercourse so I can't spray it, so I could potentially weed-wiper it with glyphosate whilst there's very little water but it's a bit too early - it's growing outwards rather than taking nutrients in. I need it to be about a month later than it is, with the same rainfall.

Fucking stuff is a nightmare. :eek:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Found another sprig of Japanese Knotweed about 30 yards from where it is supposed to be. :eek:

It's in a stream bed, I'm guessing that a fragment broke off during heavy rainfall and got caught in the reeds and when the waters receeded it took root.

Now I'm trying to figure out when to treat it - it's in a watercourse so I can't spray it, so I could potentially weed-wiper it with glyphosate whilst there's very little water but it's a bit too early - it's growing outwards rather than taking nutrients in. I need it to be about a month later than it is, with the same rainfall.

Can't you just burn the fucker?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Can't you just burn the fucker?
Nope. Spreads through underground rhizomes. It would shrug at fire and keep spreading.

There's a reason companies charge 5k for a 3 year eradication programme in yer garden.

We've got more than a garden's worth in two patches. (Think the farmer took a backhander to allow someone to dispose of waste on his (our) land).

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

What do you mean where it should be? Surely it shouldnt be anywhere.

tactical strike from a nuclear submarine. Would solve the welsh problem while we are at it :)

Ormorof

FH is my second home
This excited me when I was 12, but now the overriding thought in my mind is - how the hell can we justify this environmentally?

I think the autonomous, electric, flying taxis make more sense tbh like this crowd https://lilium.com/

Drawback being they are classified as helicopters so need helipad access

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Quite easily. You just say "Dude, it's a flying car!".
Meh.

More environmentally damaging toys for the mega-rich.

If they make them zero-emissions then I'd be all for them. Otherwise the rich should be told to fuck the hell off.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Meh.

More environmentally damaging toys for the mega-rich.

If they make them zero-emissions then I'd be all for them. Otherwise the rich should be told to fuck the hell off.

The year is 1903, and Orville and Wilbur Wright are about to have another go at getting their plane in the air. They were sitting on the runway, ready to go, when you could just head the screeching of someone arriving on a push bike. Over the drone of the engines, you could just hear this adenoidal voice saying "Erm, are you sure you want to do that and take the human race forwards? After all, some rich people may fly around in future, and even though your invention will drastically improve the lives of everyone on the planet, we can't be having that can we?".

"Nah fuck it you are entirely correct, let's go back to living in caves and passing away before we're 30. Sounds loads better."

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The year is 1903, and Orville and Wilbur Wright are about to have another go at getting their plane in the air. They were sitting on the runway, ready to go, when you could just head the screeching of someone arriving on a push bike. Over the drone of the engines, you could just hear this adenoidal voice saying "Erm, are you sure you want to do that and take the human race forwards? After all, some rich people may fly around in future, and even though your invention will drastically improve the lives of everyone on the planet, we can't be having that can we?".
I'm 100% behind improving the lives of everyone on the planet. Personal transport that could get airborne is up there - but I'm pretty sure we're not going to be rolling out flying cars wholesale without understanding the infrastructure challenges of having to put airports in all over the shop.

But yes - it's potentially very useful for the subset of people who need to get from point A to point B very quickly where there isn't very good infrastructure already in place.

However, when Orville and Wilbur Wright were sat on the runway we didn't know about a potentially existential climate issue brought about in a not insignificant proportion by the fossil-fuel use of their invention.

So, given the new knowledge we now have it's not only totally reasonable but necessary to say "yep, we'd love flying cars - just make sure they don't run on fucking petrol".

Of course, given your love of cars and your knuckle-dragging intransigence around climate impacts - i.e. you don't believe in global warming and even if you did it's nothing to do with humans and is mainly down to <insert tinfoil here> - then I can see why the above sensible stance fills you with abject horror. :)

Gwadien

I'm 100% behind improving the lives of everyone on the planet. Personal transport that could get airborne is up there - but I'm pretty sure we're not going to be rolling out flying cars wholesale without understanding the infrastructure challenges of having to put airports in all over the shop.

But yes - it's potentially very useful for the subset of people who need to get from point A to point B very quickly where there isn't very good infrastructure already in place.

However, when Orville and Wilbur Wright were sat on the runway we didn't know about a potentially existential climate issue brought about in a not insignificant proportion by the fossil-fuel use of their invention.

So, given the new knowledge we now have it's not only totally reasonable but necessary to say "yep, we'd love flying cars - just make sure they don't run on fucking petrol".

Of course, given your love of cars and your knuckle-dragging intransigence around climate impacts - i.e. you don't believe in global warming and even if you did it's nothing to do with humans and is mainly down to <insert tinfoil here> - then I can see why the above sensible stance fills you with abject horror. :)

You're treating it like we've become environmental puritans, which we ain't and we shouldn't really if that completely stifles any progression.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You're treating it like we've become environmental puritans, which we ain't and we shouldn't really if that completely stifles any progression.
Sustainable progression if we're going to live.

I think we can and should be massively increasing our energy usage as a planet.

But it *has* to be clean. Has to. Non-negotiably.

That's pretty obvious.

Gwadien

Sustainable progression if we're going to live.

I think we can and should be massively increasing our energy usage as a planet.

But it *has* to be clean. Has to. Non-negotiably.

That's pretty obvious.

Yes, but one flying petrol car doesn't really make a dent.

I think it's pretty obvious that they would eventually move to electricity but I'd imagine it's down to safety more than anything...

Do you think we should cease space exploration until it's carbon neutral?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
This excited me when I was 12, but now the overriding thought in my mind is - how the hell can we justify this environmentally?

Presumably it would depend on the amount of fuel usage for equivalent alternatives?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Yes, but one flying petrol car doesn't really make a dent.

I think it's pretty obvious that they would eventually move to electricity but I'd imagine it's down to safety more than anything...

Do you think we should cease space exploration until it's carbon neutral?
Hmm well what actually does putting a robot on Mars contribute to us? its cool and interesting. But the resources put in dont seem environmentally sound.

most of the discoveries that have helped us back on earth have been found in earth oribt. And we are literally shooting rare earth metals into a void where they will never be useful again.

unless you are subscribing to life boat planets for the human race.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Hmm well what actually does putting a robot on Mars contribute to us? its cool and interesting. But the resources put in dont seem environmentally sound.

most of the discoveries that have helped us back on earth have been found in earth oribt. And we are literally shooting rare earth metals into a void where they will never be useful again.

unless you are subscribing to life boat planets for the human race.
How else will we develop sex robots?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom