SPAM random annoying things

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Oh yes please Mr Tory mmmmm. Thank you Mr Tory.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Keey voting for them people.

Although Labour went there too under Blair.

It's clear that our political masters want us to work until we drop.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I moved with a van once. Never again. Companies since.
As stated - i'm not doing it out of choice. We have to complete before 30th June to save £15k on stamp duty, and as everyone is trying to move, all of the removal firms are booked up. We exchanged last Wednesday, and even that wasn't enough notice to get something booked. We're only moving from a 1 bed flat so it shouldn't be too bad. A Luton is probably overkill to be honest.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I moved 100 miles in a Luton van 10 years ago, was a breeze. It also meant we chucked out a load of shit we didn't need.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
My last move cost close 8K GBP and took 9 weeks, not moving again unless it's for a bloody good reason.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Jetlag after returning from Mexico. And there's no blackcurrant cordial in the house so I can't have a rum and black.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Jetlag after returning from Mexico. And there's no blackcurrant cordial in the house so I can't have a rum and black.

If the world doesn't shut down we're heading to Cancun mid-August. Can't wait.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Deciding to do the first time buyers thing right now, whilst the market is going fucking bananas. So far it's been bidding wars, manky old Victorian properties listing for 20k more than they are worth, peppermint bathroom suites, 7356 daily links to RightMove sent to my WhatsApp by the wife, an obscene amount of New Builds, a few 3 storey town houses nobody wants and lots of people wanking on about Stamp Duty we wouldn't have to pay anyway.

Turns out the saving of a deposit and getting the Mortgage Agreement in Principle was the easy bit. Everything since that bit has been an utter clusterfuck.

I'm going back to buying cars. "I'd like that one please" "Here is the price" "Knock a little off?" "Done" - drive away later that day.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I saw a bloke today with two mattresses strapped to his roof today with one strap so they were both acting as excellent wind brakes.

Made me think of you @Aoami xoxo

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Deciding to do the first time buyers thing right now, whilst the market is going fucking bananas. So far it's been bidding wars, manky old Victorian properties listing for 20k more than they are worth, peppermint bathroom suites, 7356 daily links to RightMove sent to my WhatsApp by the wife, an obscene amount of New Builds, a few 3 storey town houses nobody wants and lots of people wanking on about Stamp Duty we wouldn't have to pay anyway.

Turns out the saving of a deposit and getting the Mortgage Agreement in Principle was the easy bit. Everything since that bit has been an utter clusterfuck.

I'm going back to buying cars. "I'd like that one please" "Here is the price" "Knock a little off?" "Done" - drive away later that day.
The house purchasing process in this country is shite and you are never entirely sure it wont fall through until the last minute when you exchange contracts.

you will never find your perfect home decorated how you like it. Bathroom suites are mostly always hideous if the arenot white or just off white.

trying to get into the market right now is horrendous around here anyway. As soon as they are on the market they are gone. Because of the stamp duty thing.

and its only 20k over what you think they are worth. If someone is willing to pay the price then its not over priced :)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
The house purchasing process in this country is shite and you are never entirely sure it wont fall through until the last minute when you exchange contracts.

you will never find your perfect home decorated how you like it. Bathroom suites are mostly always hideous if the arenot white or just off white.

trying to get into the market right now is horrendous around here anyway. As soon as they are on the market they are gone. Because of the stamp duty thing.

and its only 20k over what you think they are worth. If someone is willing to pay the price then its not over priced :)

Apparently it's a bit easier in Scotland as you're locked in earlier? Not sure why we can't have the same down here. The stress leading up to exchanging is awful.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Apparently it's a bit easier in Scotland as you're locked in earlier? Not sure why we can't have the same down here. The stress leading up to exchanging is awful.
Aye scotty land is better

Embattle

FH is my second home
People going to red list countries then moaning about the food in the quarantine hotel.

Bodhi

Ouch!

You been renting all this time?

Aye only just got into a position to buy, we were too busy enjoying our 30's and not worrying about grown up stuff too much. Now it looks like we can't go on holiday until I get Platinum Status with UEFA, it's probably a good time to get on the property ladder. Well we thought that, anyway...

Problem with your last statement is we have to get a mortgage valuation as well, and if the asking price is above market value then that's coming out of our pocket - which isn't really doable for first time buyers - even though we have 10% deposit in the bank and are otherwise ready to go.

We've been to look at a new build today, and to be honest it's starting to look like the most sensible way to go. Lots of incentives to get you over the line, we can tweak it how we want it to look, no chain to worry about etc.

Our ideal plan was to buy the place we're currently renting, but the landlord bought it in 2007 on the bubble and is trying to get his money back, which seems optimistic given the house hasn't been touched and has been a rental property since then.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Problem with new builds is that most of them are already falling to bits and you spend years with a snagging list.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I would never buy a newbuild. Tonnes of snags, much lower build quality than existing house stock. Lack of storage, smaller rooms, gardens full of rubble (if you get a garden). They are slapped up at record speed by people who don't give a shit. I've been and filmed on a brand new estate in Chester that the well-known housebuilder was very proud of. I spotted poor, uneven brickwork and bloody drains that were HIGHER than the lowest drain point. And that was directly outside someone's front door. Of a brand new house. That the builder was championing.

Also, new housing estates are terribly car-centric. Which you may like, but bear in mind that there will be no footpaths to the next estate over, because of a document the police recommend called "Secure by Design". It's a recipe for obesity. It ensures that the simplest way to get around your nice new estate is by car. No links to the canal nearby, no footbridges across the dual carriageway, no shortcuts to the next street over. The corner shop you can see from your window will actually be half a mile away, because you can't walk directly to it. And so you, and all your neighbours, will drive there. Which means children won't be safe in the street.

IMO either get something old and falling down that you're happy to fix up yourself, or something reasonably modern from the 1970s. 1970s-era housing is really quite good.

/edit - here's that estate (the lower of the two). Note how it's completely isolated and how there are no active travel links to the nearby schools, or shops. It's all car, car car. Google Maps

/edit2 - disabled? Well fuck you! Google Maps

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
When I was buying in Dublin house prices went up 31% in under a year. After several years of fairly level prices we're now seeing massive rises again; just no supply.
I would never buy a newbuild. Tonnes of snags, much lower build quality than existing house stock. Lack of storage, smaller rooms, gardens full of rubble (if you get a garden). They are slapped up at record speed by people who don't give a shit. I've been and filmed on a brand new estate in Chester that the well-known housebuilder was very proud of. I spotted poor, uneven brickwork and bloody drains that were HIGHER than the lowest drain point. And that was directly outside someone's front door. Of a brand new house. That the builder was championing.

Also, new housing estates are terribly car-centric. Which you may like, but bear in mind that there will be no footpaths to the next estate over, because of a document the police recommend called "Secure by Design". It's a recipe for obesity. It ensures that the simplest way to get around your nice new estate is by car. No links to the canal nearby, no footbridges across the dual carriageway, no shortcuts to the next street over. The corner shop you can see from your window will actually be half a mile away, because you can't walk directly to it. And so you, and all your neighbours, will drive there. Which means children won't be safe in the street.

IMO either get something old and falling down that you're happy to fix up yourself, or something reasonably modern from the 1970s. 1970s-era housing is really quite good.

/edit - here's that estate (the lower of the two). Note how it's completely isolated and how there are no active travel links to the nearby schools, or shops. It's all car, car car. Google Maps

/edit2 - disabled? Well fuck you! Google Maps

That's really interesting. The approach in Ireland is exactly the opposite; you won't get planning permission without cycle lanes on estates and to and from them. You'll also pay through the nose for off-street parking space for more than two cars (its basically impossible unless you're doing a standalone build). The only security thing that is quite irritating is they tend to be single way in and out and cut throughs etc. are rare; I have some friends who live on a (quite posh) estate near us that backs on the local train station, but there's no cut through so its about a mile to walk around to it.

On the other hand, new builds here, with the caveat that gardens are universally pokey, are orders of magnitude better quality than most Irish housing stock built between 1960 and 2010. Our house was built in 1970 and by the time we're finished (hopefully soon) there will be barely anything of the original house left. The Irish houses to really avoid are from about 1995-2008; horrific.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Aye only just got into a position to buy, we were too busy enjoying our 30's and not worrying about grown up stuff too much. Now it looks like we can't go on holiday until I get Platinum Status with UEFA, it's probably a good time to get on the property ladder. Well we thought that, anyway...

Problem with your last statement is we have to get a mortgage valuation as well, and if the asking price is above market value then that's coming out of our pocket - which isn't really doable for first time buyers - even though we have 10% deposit in the bank and are otherwise ready to go.

We've been to look at a new build today, and to be honest it's starting to look like the most sensible way to go. Lots of incentives to get you over the line, we can tweak it how we want it to look, no chain to worry about etc.

Our ideal plan was to buy the place we're currently renting, but the landlord bought it in 2007 on the bubble and is trying to get his money back, which seems optimistic given the house hasn't been touched and has been a rental property since then.
yes i understand the valuation thing. Its difficult and a process that should be made fit for the modern world. As it is its just a place for conveyancers to print money with the end users taking all the risk.
i been lucky and never had a chain. But those are the worst. One person in a chain of 10 or so movers has an issue everyone is fucked.

new builds paper thin walls. All stud partitions. I hate stud partitions with a passion. as tom said 70’s or earlier or a one off build thats been done by someone not a big constrction company. And dont go near a lease hold.

my house was build in 1990 but was made by the people who owned the land not a big estate build. Lovely solid walls.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Mine was built in 1615 :)

But you get problems with older buildings too, rarely structurally though.

Embattle

FH is my second home
You can get problems in any building, our new build had some but the majority of them have been dealt with as we've got a warranty on it. Yes there are roads but there are also many paths designed into the layout and around the area, as have the others in the area. If you ever go to the relevant council's planning site you can download a mass of documents to do with a new build site, in the end the local council is to blame if they approve something and different council's will probably be guided by different ideas.

Bodhi

We're currently in a 3 storey property that was thrown up by the lowest bidder in 2006, and other than the thin walls (we're looking at detached so less of an issue) and the shit eco khazis (break all the time, need at least 2 flushes) it's been fine. Admittedly we've just been living here, so haven't looked into things structurally, but not had any real complaints - did built quality take a turn for the worse after then? The one we've looked at we'd actually have more storage space than we have now, given it comes with a garage which this house doesn't.

As mentioned we were originally going to buy this place, in which case we could cope with living in a building site for a while. From what we can see it will need a new kitchen and boiler, and would look to knock a couple of walls through to make the living areas more open plan, all quite sensible. However if we were to move we'd like somewhere ready-to-go, hence looking at new builds and already refurbished townhouses. Problem is the ready refurbished stuff is going at a premium, which in our situation keeps leading us back to new builds.

I'd also look on the car-centric thing as being a big plus, given that's how I get around.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Build cheap sell expensive. It's essentially paying for everyone's pensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom