SPAM random annoying things

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
To be fair, they would be losing my broadband custom anyway as they just can't compete with Vodafone, so from 11th July I will be on 900mb broadband. I'll talk the wife into trying out freeview for a while and then switch to BT if she doesn't like it. It's not like she watches any sky output and I like big numbers.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Back on the subject of phones. Fucking doctors receptionists. I need to have some blood tests done anyway and want to discuss general health with my doc, had the post-mortem results for a friend that died a couple of weeks ago, heart attack, the guy seemed as fit as anyone. It's given me a bit of a scare and it's time I took my health seriously, first step is getting a bit of an MOT. I swear they have been told to deflect as many people as possible, she didn't understand my Cerberus reference...

Anyway, had to settle with a telephone consultation... Fucking useless.

Embattle

FH is my second home
It does seem a lot of people don't bother getting a regular check up, it helps spot things before they become a problem.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Back on the subject of phones. Fucking doctors receptionists. I need to have some blood tests done anyway and want to discuss general health with my doc, had the post-mortem results for a friend that died a couple of weeks ago, heart attack, the guy seemed as fit as anyone. It's given me a bit of a scare and it's time I took my health seriously, first step is getting a bit of an MOT. I swear they have been told to deflect as many people as possible, she didn't understand my Cerberus reference...

Anyway, had to settle with a telephone consultation... Fucking useless.

I had the same issue trying to get an appointment - difference is I DID have a form of heart attack a week ago :rolleyes:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm tempted to pay for a full BUPA assessment - scans / MRI / genetics etc. for both Tam and myself.

Expensive, yep, but potentially worth it.

I can get my blood pressure taken by my GP and cholesterol etc, but I reckon unless you go deep into it then keeping fit and healthy and eating the right stuff is probably the most effective action you can take tbh.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Being invited to high level meetings regarding VAT accounting and having to walk through the process with auditors while the VAT accountant just sits there with a blank look on their face.

I'm not a VAT accountant, technically I'm not an accountant either.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Working as a consultant, when you consult people who then choose to ignore your consultation, and then two weeks later you end up looking forward to 20 hours of over-time over the weekend because things have gone tits up because you were ignored. Love it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Spending an hour trying to find a sensor in the engine bay only to realise they sent the wrong one.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Most people are comfortable using either. I use metric when working with wood because it just makes more sense but still use pounds and ounces when cooking.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Most people are comfortable using either. I use metric when working with wood because it just makes more sense but still use pounds and ounces when cooking.

Not in science though. Engineering, yes, because you sometimes need to deal with legacy (I had to work in imperial on some actual live projects when I worked at BAe back in the day); but I doubt anyone's used imperial in the sciences for 50 years or more, even in the US.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not in science though. Engineering, yes, because you sometimes need to deal with legacy (I had to work in imperial on some actual live projects when I worked at BAe back in the day); but I doubt anyone's used imperial in the sciences for 50 years or more, even in the US.
Which BAe site were you at?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Many years ago when I worked for Smith's Aerospace I did a lot of on-site support at BAe Dunsfold, Warton and Brough. Also Filton on the commercial aircraft side. Depending on the project we worked in both imperial and metric, never had an issue with it myself.

Airbus always worked in Metric but Boeing still works in imperial so still many companies do both.

DaGaffer

Many years ago when I worked for Smith's Aerospace I did a lot of on-site support at BAe Dunsfold, Warton and Brough. Also Filton on the commercial aircraft side. Depending on the project we worked in both imperial and metric, never had an issue with it myself.

Airbus always worked in Metric but Boeing still works in imperial so still many companies do both.

Legacy again. 747 and 737 were originally designed in Imperial. I had to switch back and forward quite often; Harrier was Imperial and Hawk in metric from memory, or the other way around. American defence projects have to be in metric now (the whole US military has been metric for decades ironically), so I would imagine all the more recent Boeing stuff is metric.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
BAe had a plant here back in the day - was round the corner from my school - you guys know it?

DaGaffer

BAe had a plant here back in the day - was round the corner from my school - you guys know it?

Actually opened after I left. Other the Brough the only BAe plants I visited regularly were Kingston and Hatfield. I went to Wharton a couple of times as well.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Legacy again. 747 and 737 were originally designed in Imperial. I had to switch back and forward quite often; Harrier was Imperial and Hawk in metric from memory, or the other way around. American defence projects have to be in metric now (the whole US military has been metric for decades ironically), so I would imagine all the more recent Boeing stuff is metric.
100/200 series Hawks were metric everything before was imperial from memory. I work on everything from Jaguar up to EFA.

B777 drawings still showed inches on STA numbers etc. However, I believe they did drawing in both metric and imperial for operators that wanted it. As you say last 10 years things have changed. B777 was 1996!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Stupid fucking terms in the job market such as 'unicorn tech company'

I'm half arsed looking for a new job, and it appears things have moved on since I joined my current employer 14 years ago, it's all social media now.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Heh, a unicorn tech company is just a pre IPO tech firm with a valuation of more than one billion USD. They have to call them something.
I find that LinkedIn is the way to go for tech jobs these days. Once the algo gets what you're looking for, you'll get more of the same. I get notified about 3-4 interesting jobs a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom