SPAM random annoying things

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
That's not "travel". I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon than sit by the side of a pool roasting myself all day, but oh look, I don't have to, even in somewhere like Majorca.

It's a pretty feeble video, frankly its saying "shoot yourself now, life isn't worth it".
I like both types of holiday eg this year in Aug we spent a week in the mountains 2 weeks in Stockholm City and the last week full rest sol och bad - all aspects were awesome

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Me, closing a customer conference call: "OK, thanks everyone for joining etc."
Google Assistant on my phone's sexy voice joins in: "My pleasure, I was literally made to do this for you"
Me::whistle:

Lakih

Resident Freddy
That's not "travel". I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon than sit by the side of a pool roasting myself all day, but oh look, I don't have to, even in somewhere like Majorca.

It's a pretty feeble video, frankly its saying "shoot yourself now, life isn't worth it".
Some people travel for the sightseeing, experience new cultures, and see lots of cool things. Others go on vacation just to disconnect their brain and get some sun.
I'm mostly in the first category, but saying that flying half across the world and then lay on a beach towel for two weeks in the sun isn't traveling is just not right.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why fly halfway across the world at great expense (financial and environmental) to sit on a beach towel in the sun when you could just do that in the med?

If you ain't going to go out and see things - just bake and roast (which is fine) - then why go so far?

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I only holiday for culture, because I'm libtard.

Speaking of holidays, does anyone else think it's a bit silly to try and rescue Thomas Cook? Especially since all public trust in them has been completely decimated.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
As a kid who benefited from a mother who paupered herself to put me through a few precious years of private eduacation (between years of standard state-school shite) - well done Labour.

I'm annoyed that it'll be taken as a knock on Labour's suitability for governance, btw. But then, I'm just a well-to-do schmuck with first-hand experience of the whole shebang :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I only holiday for culture, because I'm libtard.

Speaking of holidays, does anyone else think it's a bit silly to try and rescue Thomas Cook? Especially since all public trust in them has been completely decimated.
Government wont rescue them.

If they cannot raise the capital the. The government will fly everyone home.

Cause they set that precedent.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
As a kid who benefited from a mother who paupered herself to put me through a few precious years of private eduacation (between years of standard state-school shite) - well done Labour.

I'm annoyed that it'll be taken as a knock on Labour's suitability for governance, btw. But then, I'm just a well-to-do schmuck with first-hand experience of the whole shebang :)
Well thats weird of them.

I mean i dont see the rights they have to any private schools assets. If they change the law to get them. Ouch.

I never went to private school. But have nothing against people who have the money sending their kids to them. I would have preferred to go to them I think. Might have been a break from the bullying i got. But it might have been worse who knows.

Maybe they should tax them to get money to add to the state schools or something.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I mean i dont see the rights they have to any private schools assets. If they change the law to get them. Ouch.
Or, if you're rich you get a privileged education (better teachers, better standard of teaching, better facilities, better equipment), privileged job prospects and privileged earnings based not on a meritocracy, but based on the fact that your parents were rich.

Or - under new proposals - if your parents are rich, you get a fuckload of privilege anyway - but you have to go to the *same* school as every other kid in the country and your job prospects, your earnings potential, yadda yadda yadda, are *still* privileged but at least not so much as when you've private better schooling than anyone else.

Poor clever kids can never get on. Middling, average-IQ rich kids make it. That's anti-democratic and nothing to do with merit.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Or, if you're rich you get a privileged education (better teachers, better standard of teaching, better facilities, better equipment), privileged job prospects and privileged earnings based not on a meritocracy, but based on the fact that your parents were rich.

Or - under new proposals - if your parents are rich, you get a fuckload of privilege anyway - but you have to go to the *same* school as every other kid in the country and your job prospects, your earnings potential, yadda yadda yadda, are *still* privileged but at least not so much as when you've private better schooling than anyone else.

Poor clever kids can never get on. Middling, average-IQ rich kids make it. That's anti-democratic and nothing to do with merit.
If you have all the private school kids in state schools the class sizes would be bigger and there would be less teachers per head so the poor kids would be let down even further.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

I'm sure this will stop all those rich parents from just employing tutors...

Headline grabbing nonsense, if they want to make an impact enforce an intake policy of one local authority student for every one private paid place

Gwadien

Reforming Ofsted is somewhat more appealing though.

But as G said, it's just headline grabbing.

We just need our Government to not try to use the private Chinese education system as our ambition, it's too lofty and removes everything important about a well rounded education.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Happens anyway m8. And I already addressed that in my post.

Seems people fear actual real change...

Or dumbass headline grabbing idea hoping their base ignores the brexit issue. Although I would say the headline is simplistic compared to the detail.

I reckon even if Labour won they would spend a epic amount of time in court with the plans they seem to have.

Gwadien

Or dumbass headline grabbing idea hoping their base ignores the brexit issue.

They've made their Brexit election position clear, I also think they've stopped trying to appeal to Brexit voters all together. I'm glad that they are making policies for after Brexit.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

That's not "real change". The problem is inequality in the first place; private education in the UK is a symptom, not the cure; take away private education and you fix nothing. Countries that already have inequality offer better rewards for being in private education; countries that have less inequality, give less benefit. Labour are engaging in begrudgery, not change.

privpubedu.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
That's not "real change". The problem is inequality in the first place; private education in the UK is a symptom, not the cure; take away private education and you fix nothing. Countries that already have inequality offer better rewards for being in private education; countries that have less inequality, give less benefit. Labour are engaging in begrudgery, not change.
Agree.

But you can't do fuck all about the economic system when you're a member of the EU club. The rules mandate it.

Leave, however...

(Edit: Fully aware there's further argument down that road. However, the post-war status-quo has put us where we are, and led to the vote it led to - so to poo-poo potential change we've no visibility off is just as curmudgeonly...)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
(Edit edit: Is that the best you've got Gaff, considering we know what private schools mean for future university and employment places (ofc, it's emhpatic.). (and, btw, are your kids in private school? (full disclosure m8 ;) ))

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Agree.

But you can't do fuck all about the economic system when you're a member of the EU club. The rules mandate it.

Leave, however...

(Edit: Fully aware there's further argument down that road. However, the post-war status-quo has put us where we are, and led to the vote it led to - so to poo-poo potential change we've no visibility off is just as curmudgeonly...)

Thats a crap brexiter excuse ;)

EU rules dont mandate inequality

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Thats a crap brexiter excuse ;)

EU rules dont mandate inequality
I'm not a brexiter.

EU rules mandate you follow certain rules of a capitalist market economy - that's a system that patently doesn't work for all. However, as an EU member we're unable to take some actions we could do to potentially rebalance that.

So ner :p

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
(Edit edit: Is that the best you've got Gaff, considering we know what private schools mean for future university and employment places (ofc, it's emhpatic.). (and, btw, are your kids in private school? (full disclosure m8 ;) ))

My kids are not in public school, but not because I have any moral objections; my issue is nearly every private school in Ireland is single sex, and I'm not putting my kids through that Lord of The Flies shit.

As for the EU comment, a. Britain's inequality issues are it's own and there are plenty of EU countries that demonstrate that, and b. Brexit is a project designed to create more inequality; and if by some miracle Labour came to power they'd be too economically impoverished to enact the ludicrous spending policies Labour are espousing (neither will the Tories, but we know their policies are all lies anyway).

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'm not a brexiter.

EU rules mandate you follow certain rules of a capitalist market economy - that's a system that patently doesn't work for all. However, as an EU member we're unable to take some actions we could do to potentially rebalance that.

So ner :p
The most equal country in the world is Sweden.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The most equal country in the world is Sweden.
I agree that they're the poster-boy for egalitarian ideals but even Sweden is struggling with a rapidly worsening position on a number of metrics.

Eg: On Income Inequality (same is true for wealth inequality)
upload_2019-9-23_8-6-18.png

Since the market reforms of the 1980's that's pretty much the story the world over. The EU ties our hands on methods we'd use to combat the issues that have been created. But it's a died-in-the-wool capitalism club. A club based on a system that, whilst promising at first, has now shown to be wreaking economic, social and environmental havok at a rate that humans can barely comprehend.

If the EU was willing to undergo serious structural economic reform then absolutley it would make 100% sense to stay in, but the fact that it's not gives weight to the position that Corbyn stated this weekend - we could be better off outside the EU dependent on the deal we made. (Not that we will be).

Of course, that would be Britain only - and wouldn't structurally fix the global clusterfuck that capitalism is manufacturing in it's current form.

But arguments about all that aside - the fact is Sweden, the most equal of EU societies, is becoming more unequal.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
my issue is nearly every private school in Ireland is single sex, and I'm not putting my kids through that Lord of The Flies shit.
As a man who went to a single sex school from 12>18 years I totally agree with you on this.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Nicely attempted bait, however I don't see the benefit in their proposed strategy.

No point in dismantling something that's delivering results, just put it to good use for those who would not otherwise be able to access it, i.e. adjust the intake policy

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No point in dismantling something that's delivering results, just put it to good use for those who would not otherwise be able to access it, i.e. adjust the intake policy
You mean taxpayers should fund kids going to private schools? Private schools are delivering results for the rich, not for anyone else - and those results have knock-on effects for all of us.

The intake policy of a private school is: "If you can afford to pay 30k a year your child gets a much much better education" and the result is: "it doesn't matter if his IQ is only average-100, and the poor kid in the other neighbourhood who attends the underperforming state school has an IQ of 130 - the fact that they get such a privileged education means that your kid is on-track to get ahead even more than just from having the advantages they already do".

Private school education is toxic to our political landscape and democracy. Kids from rich families, who aren't necessarily the "best and brightest", pack our front benches and top-level jobs in droves. They dominate our political discourse and that means the wants and needs of people who live very different lives are underrepresented at the only levels that can ever bring around real change.

Private education is (just) one of the drivers of inequality at all levels. It's a social separator.

What we should be doing is looking to bring the quality of education for all up to a better standard. Whilst there's an option for the ruling classes to ringfence their thicky children and give them a separate, better, education than everyone else then the impetus to provide that social-levelling starting-line to all simply doesn't exist. And turkeys don't vote for christmas.

This is speaking as someone who benefitted from private education at a young age. It was streets ahead of the education I received later on. And my position is - after year after fucking year of "education reforms" promised by every single government we've ever had, ever - nothing has changed.

In fact - we know damn well that inequality in this country has risen rapidly since the 1950's. Private education is one of the (many) pillars of that. It's about damn time we did something about it.

Gwadien

I don't see the benefit of dragging private education down to the levels of state education though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom