SPAM random annoying things

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Seriously are we talking sending chicken meat across the atlantic here?
Every frickin chicken burger will melt a bit of the icecaps.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Strange how that EU body has deemed it to be safe, yet the EU have decided to ban it. Almost as if it's nothing to do with Food Safety!

Except...they didn't. They said the chlorine itself wasn't a problem but the process of washing in chlorine was problematic as it could leave to bad practices and recommended spraying as the appropriate method. Opinion of the Scientific Panel on food additives, flavourings, processing aids and materials in contact with food (AFC) related to Treatment of poultry carcasses with chlorine dioxide, acidified sodium chlorite, trisodium phosphate and peroxyacids | European Food Safety Authority

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's not a race to the bottom though? As mentioned, it's a choice. Not bothered about Chlorinated chicken? Buy the U.S. stuff. If you are, buy the UK Organic stuff. I mean I know you bien pensant lot shudder at the idea of free will and choices but really, it isn't hard.

If there are enough people wanting "proper" chicken, the market will provide it. Tends to be how these things work.

Strange how there's all this uproar about washing chicken with Chlorine to kill bacteria like Salmonella, yet we add it to our drinking water for exactly the same reason.
Keeping it focussed on the narrow argument (like it's all about chicken), not discussing the wider issues and spouting overly simplistic untrue tropes about market and choice does not make you right.

But anyway, not gonna continue to argue this with you - I'd predicted you'd be the one with this argument and it's effectively the same reductionist argument you always come up with.

You'd think you'd care what went in you a little more :(

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Keeping it focussed on the narrow argument (like it's all about chicken), not discussing the wider issues and spouting overly simplistic untrue tropes about market and choice does not make you right.

But anyway, not gonna continue to argue this with you - I'd predicted you'd be the one with this argument and it's effectively the same reductionist argument you always come up with.

You'd think you'd care what went in you a little more :(

And, as usual, rather than debating properly, you resort to Ad Hominem attacks. Sad!

Job

All those chemicals above wouldn't cause me the slightest problem in the miniscule quantities I woukd be exposed to...but Sam and Eller could kill me.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Except...they didn't. They said the chlorine itself wasn't a problem but the process of washing in chlorine was problematic as it could leave to bad practices and recommended spraying as the appropriate method. Opinion of the Scientific Panel on food additives, flavourings, processing aids and materials in contact with food (AFC) related to Treatment of poultry carcasses with chlorine dioxide, acidified sodium chlorite, trisodium phosphate and peroxyacids | European Food Safety Authority
You see this here, @Job? It's called a source

Ormorof

FH is my second home
The reason its banned is because food production companies cant be trusted without regulation amd supervision (and time again prove that they cant, see horse meat scandal) this forces them to ship fresh chicken rather than rotten shit thats been washed to look fresh long enough for someone to pay for it

Im all for keeping food quality high thanks ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What's that @Ormorof? You say "the market" would sell dyed dog-turd as chicken if it could get away with it? But but but...!

Bodhi

The reason its banned is because food production companies cant be trusted without regulation amd supervision (and time again prove that they cant, see horse meat scandal) this forces them to ship fresh chicken rather than rotten shit thats been washed to look fresh long enough for someone to pay for it

Im all for keeping food quality high thanks ;)

Funny you should mention the horse meat scandal, but there are one or two countries in the EU where eating horse meat is perfectly acceptable - in fact, the lasagne in question was made for Findus by a French company. So all those wonderful regulations you speak of appear to have done precisely bugger all to stop unscrupulous vendors.

Findus beef lasagne contained up to 100% horsemeat, FSA says - BBC News

So if it was a choice between U.S. Chicken or high quality French "Beef", I'll have the Chicken Selects ta.

I'm sorry but I'm really not seeing the issue here - British Standards are already incredibly well respected around the world, and have been since long before anyone cared about Brussels, and I see no reason why this would change after Brexit. After All, it is one of the many reason why it's always been such a great place for foreign investment.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The usual suspects again not understanding the argument. The EU prefers to keep meat clean by keeping the animals clean. The US keeps the meat clean by washing the dirty animals to remove the germs. In other words, the EU prefers to keep meat healthy by keeping the animals healthy, whereas the US prefers to fix the problem with chemicals.

So all those wonderful regulations you speak of appear to have done precisely bugger all to stop unscrupulous vendors.

Except they're right now in court fighting to keep their freedom. They're in very serious trouble, so it appears the regulations are working as advertised.

Businessman 'secretly mixed horsemeat with beef' in national scandal

Bodhi

The usual suspects again not understanding the argument. The EU prefers to keep meat clean by keeping the animals clean. The US keeps the meat clean by washing the dirty animals to remove the germs. In other words, the EU prefers to keep meat healthy by keeping the animals healthy, whereas the US prefers to fix the problem with chemicals.

Except they're right now in court fighting to keep their freedom. They're in very serious trouble, so it appears the regulations are working as advertised.

Businessman 'secretly mixed horsemeat with beef' in national scandal

Uh huh. And I've noticed which of the counties affected is actually taking action, completely outside of any EU regulation. So again, I am failing to see what will change.

Job

Well 45 percent of the nox hotspots are in London, so who gives a shit.
Next is going to be gas and oil boilers, they come now with nox reducing software and plug in modules...but no one fits them because it makes them run less efficiently.
Electric cars charged off wind turbines and solar is a perfect setup...though its going to take a huge investment in grid infrastructure.
There will be pylons and sub stations everywhere.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Im perfectly fine with eating horse meat (its tasty) what im not ok woth is some old diseased horse pumped full pf steroids ending up in food labelled as beef

Horse is what they found, donkey too, what else have they been putting in there...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
We knew this was coming though, been speculated about for years.
Yes. But this is partly their response to being repeatedly being defeated in court over inaction over air pollution that's killing thousands a year.

Their response is a plan to ban the sale of internal combustion engines in a timescale that they'll already be gone in - I.e. "fuck you - we're gonna do nothing and make the public think we're doing something"...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'll be very interested to hear the overall approach. What about remote communities? What about agricultural vehicles? What about the National Grid? But yes @Scouse its a cynical approach by the Tories, but overall I welcome the approach *if* done right.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Big G - if Toyota come up with the goods I see no reason why all of this can't be achieved ten years earlier.

And clean air zones / proper cycling infrastructure could be in place in all inner city zones in five years with proper funding.

But we'll spend more money on anti-terrorism and internet surveillance (of our own populations) instead...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
20 years to come up with reliable electric vehicles, seems reasonable. You don't ban something essential until you have a viable alternative.

old.user4556

@Big G - if Toyota come up with the goods I see no reason why all of this can't be achieved ten years earlier.

And clean air zones / proper cycling infrastructure could be in place in all inner city zones in five years with proper funding.

But we'll spend more money on anti-terrorism and internet surveillance (of our own populations) instead...

Agree fully, but I do have questions on the approach for the supporting infrastructure (car park charging, workplace, service stations, national grid, power stations etc).

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Fuel is used for a fuck load more than getting to work, everything you own, eat, see and use is transported using fuel, its then transported, using fuel, when you are done with it. Good luck running a farm on batteries alone, good luck transporting goods on batteries alone.

old.user4556

Fuel is used for a fuck load more than getting to work, everything you own, eat, see and use is transported using fuel, its then transported, using fuel, when you are done with it. Good luck running a farm on batteries alone, good luck transporting goods on batteries alone.

Be cool bro, Theresa and team have us covered.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Electric tractors ploughing fields in pre-programmed patterns, no operator required. Electric lorries driving along motorways and trunk roads, modular battery systems in the trailer replaced at the end of each shift, no driver required.

Honestly, people are right to highlight problems, but the solutions are already there - they just need further development. 250 years back it took a week to get a cartload of salt from Northwich to Worsley, so people started building canals, reducing the trip to a couple of days. Then came the railways, which almost overnight destroyed the canal economy. Cyclists got sick and tired of shit roads and began to campaign for better surfaces, which prompted the introduction of tarmacadam-style coatings. 50 years ago our roads were a serious bottleneck to the motorist, so we built a system of motorways. And soon, cars will be driving themselves. They'll be parking themselves too, and organising their own charging while you're doing whatever it is you do.

Remember life before the internet? While studying at college, if I wanted to know something, I had to go to the library and spend hours finding the answer. Now I just ask my phone - I don't even need to pick it up or press any buttons. It just tells me. And that's in less than 20 years.

Bodhi

Not going to happen. One of two things will:

- EV's/Hydrogen comes on that far anyway that so few people are buying ICE powered cars, banning them will be pointless.
- These lauded advances in batteries don't appear, and we are stuck with useless cars that can only go 150 miles before needing charged again. Banning them will bring the country to it's knees, so won't happen.

Plus the costs to get all the infrastructure in place (charging points, electricity generation etc) are going to be scary, and I suspect I know who will be paying for it.

However given how much I trust politicians when they make pronouncements 5 years away, I'll take anything promised 23 years away with an enormous pinch of salt. In the meantime I'll stick to petrol and let the sandal wearers dick about with their glorified golf buggies.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Electric tractors ploughing fields in pre-programmed patterns, no operator required. Electric lorries driving along motorways and trunk roads, modular battery systems in the trailer replaced at the end of each shift, no driver required.

Honestly, people are right to highlight problems, but the solutions are already there - they just need further development. 250 years back it took a week to get a cartload of salt from Northwich to Worsley, so people started building canals, reducing the trip to a couple of days. Then came the railways, which almost overnight destroyed the canal economy. Cyclists got sick and tired of shit roads and began to campaign for better surfaces, which prompted the introduction of tarmacadam-style coatings. 50 years ago our roads were a serious bottleneck to the motorist, so we built a system of motorways. And soon, cars will be driving themselves. They'll be parking themselves too, and organising their own charging while you're doing whatever it is you do.

Remember life before the internet? While studying at college, if I wanted to know something, I had to go to the library and spend hours finding the answer. Now I just ask my phone - I don't even need to pick it up or press any buttons. It just tells me. And that's in less than 20 years.

Right. So, what sort of batteries are you putting in these units, pulling 44 tons, how far do you think the best battery we have (at the moment) will get a truck?

20 years is reasonable.

10, nope.

5, lol

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Anyway, if you want to cut emissions you sort the fuckwitted yummy mummies out, send kids to local schools (should be by law) not half way across town or walk ffs, it won't kill the delicate little snowflakes). Traffic is dead during the summer holidays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom