SPAM random annoying things

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dunno whether I run low on sugars but yep, I'm a total knuckle dragger for quite some time afterwards (pie solved it tho).

But chicken generally is only good for salads - mainly because the components of a good salad are tastier than chicken.

In a pie tho? Bland madness. When the pastry is the best bit of a pie, rather than the icing on the cake, then there's something very very wrong :eek:

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
To be fair, the only good part of the chicken is the wings (and possibly the drumsticks). They should just keep those and feed the rest to vegetarians.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Bbq chicken wings are great. Generally tho chicken is not my go to meat. Beef i agree is the best for pies. With mushrooms and an ale sauce.

Chicken pie just meh

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Car servicing.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
To be fair, the only good part of the chicken is the wings (and possibly the drumsticks). They should just keep those and feed the rest to vegetarians.

The shit bits that everyone used to throw away that they created a whole new market for (the "garbage disguised by hot sauce" category). Righto, you stick with that and I'll stay with the bits of chicken that are actually food. Everybody wins.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Again, shit cook.
Rubbish. Chicken is intrinsically bland. You can't take a bit of chicken and, un-augmented, cook it and have it taste amazing.

You can apply a good steak to a warm bit of pavement and it will taste amazing. Or even just eat it raw. Chicken requires flavour of some description applying to it before it's worth eating.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Ah right so because you don't know how to prepare it, its crap then? Righto :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
OK... but most people prepare their food, its called cooking. Just because you are incapable and can only manage warming a steak through, doesn't mean chicken is crap.

What a stupid fucking argument to have.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
OK... but most people prepare their food, its called cooking

Just chicken, on it's own, without anything else being done to it at all?

It's only an argument because you can read and understand what's being said, but refuse to concede the point.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Its cause theres not a lot of fat in a chicken to give it the flavour like there is in beef or lamb.

Dont get me wrong a nice roast chicken with gravy and stuffing is great.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
But again.

A) stupid fucking argument anyway.

B) even if debating what meat is better wasn't a retarded argument to have, basing your entire argument on what it tastes like if you don't do anything to it is fucking dumb. Raw eggs are horrible too but can be made into all sorts of things.

You continue to eat raw steak or whatever and I will continue to cook delicious food with a wide variety of meats and ingredients.

DaGaffer

Again, shit cook.

What I described is literally true. They used to throw chicken wings away until some Texas farmer realised he could sell them to drunks by covering them in hot sauce. Chicken wings remained bar food sold to drunks for decades, the American equivalent of a doner kebab, but actually sold in the bars. It was only much later that they became mainstream barbecue food; probably popular with all the people who'd destroyed their tastebuds while they were pissed.

Personally I never bother with food that has to be disguised to make it edible (and no, I disagree with Scouse, a plain chicken breast is perfectly fine, even if I rarely have it that way), and you still end up throwing half of it away anyway; I have similar feelings towards ribs.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I know the history of wings. I start preparing them the day before I serve them and as much work goes into them as anything else I make...but then I was trained by a professional chef to cook and with no false modesty, have a highly developed palate.

And yes, properly prepared, well cooked wings are exceptional.

Not only that but most people don't even eat them properly anyway so spend more time getting at the meat than enjoying it.

Edit (Apologies for Buzfeed but its actually a good demonstration)
How To Eat Chicken Wings Like A Genius

Last edited:

Bodhi

The shit bits that everyone used to throw away that they created a whole new market for (the "garbage disguised by hot sauce" category). Righto, you stick with that and I'll stay with the bits of chicken that are actually food. Everybody wins.

Well no, if I want actual food I'll eat a proper animal, like some cow or pig, not a pathetic little bird that can't fly you have to pump full of chemicals to get a half decent (but enormously bland) meal out of. Wings are entirely different, they're for when you've gone to the pub without eating, and want something a bit more substantial than pork scratchings - and for pub based munch they're superb.

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
We buy proper free range chicken from our butcher, they are delicious. Supermarket meat of any type is shite.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Yep, that too. Lots of people don't know what they are buying, where it came from or what to do with it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Lots of people don't know what they are buying
Turns out that applies to all of us.

All of my Indian friends bemoan the chicken they can get in Blighty. They say it tastes like shit compared to the chickens that run around out there. They blame how they're reared and my brit mates who rear their own chickens for eggs n meat say theirs are much nicer than even the top-quality organic ones you get in any supermarket. And I concur.

Because of modern farming practices (amongst other factors) and including rearing 'organic free-range' chickens, chicken is no longer the healthy, nutritious food it used to be:
a chicken in 2004 contained more than twice as much fat as in 1940, a third more calories and a third less protein...

But meh. We know there's a problem with our food production chain. Won't stop me cooking fresh wholesome produce only. Heavy on the veg, no artificial condiments etc. You can only do so much...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
supermarket

Then stop it, find a good local butcher that can tell you where the meat came from (not some made up farm shit like in Tesco) You will often find its actually cheaper too.

Bodhi

Very much depends on the supermarket and what you're buying. We usually go to Tesco, Sainsbury's and the local butcher, and end up getting meat at different places.

For instance for steak, we always go to Sainsbury's, as some of their Rib Eye and Fillet is utterly divine - and more tender, and tastier than anything we can get from the butchers. The butchers is good for sausages and pork chops (proper big doorstops with an inch of crackling on them), but go to Tesco for Pork Belly (less fatty than the butchers and just as tasty) and Lamb Chops.

That was we can cook fresh lardy produce, light on the veg (ugh), ready for whatever condiment works best (Dijon for Steak, Fruity Habanero Saice for Pork Belly, Ketchup for pretty much everything else).

To be fair the missus cooks loads of veg, I have a token carrot and call it a day. Just takes up room on the plate that could be used for meat?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
...Then stop it, find a good local butcher that can tell you where the meat came from (not some made up farm shit like in Tesco) You will often find its actually cheaper too.
Same holds for butchers I'm afraid Raven. They source from farms - which is where the problem arises.

If you want really good chickens rear you own.

*and eggs. The eggs from your own chickens are *amazing* :)

DaGaffer

Same holds for butchers I'm afraid Raven. They source from farms - which is where the problem arises.

If you want really good chickens rear you own.

*and eggs. The eggs from your own chickens are *amazing* :)

Does it even matter if you rear your own if the breeds themselves have changed?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's the pace of growth in the farming that does the fat thing. High energy limited-breadth foods (organic or not) and not enough exercise.

Either way, if you're worried about breed when you get your own you simply select different ones. Soon as me and the bird move first thing on agenda is chickens. Love my mates chicken's eggs, but would rather have my own. Works out pretty damn cheap too :)

Bodhi

You haven't seen Scouse's rearing "technique". Illegal in 27 countries, but big on Rotten.com!

(The above was a joke to prevent any future butthurt).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom