Radeon 6xxx

Ono

Part of the furniture
We have a COMPETITOR!

I would still wait for the raytracing benchmarks but there is no denying, AMD has a compelling product here. My hope is that this starts a price war and we get the RTX 3xxx cards cheaper.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I'd also like to see some impartial testing also!
But if the above is true I'm hoping the prices do drop quite a bit

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
As a AMD GPU owner, I will say wait to see what the drivers are saying too.

They're still not great on the 5700 xt.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I agree with all the wait and see and driver stability Above. :)

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
AMD really are slapping intel and NVIDIA now.... AMD really need to put more resources into their drivers though.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
It's looking good for AMD. Of course wait for reviews but the FPS figures aren't going to be more than a couple of percent out, there's simply no benefit for AMD to blatantly lie about their products. It's starting to look like Nvidia got wind of what the 6000 cards could do and, realising they hadn't built a good enough product, rushed their own cards out as a paper launch with barely any stock to try and snag as many sales as possible before AMD announced.

The amount of people I've seen committing to buying the the 30x0 cards without waiting to see what AMD was going to deliver (funnily enough, at least 1 of them now popping up in this thread encouraging everybody to "wait and see") is ridiculous so I guess their strategy of rushing a product out with a snazzy presentation worked to a point. The problem with paper launches though is that they've pissed a lot of people off (no stock and retailers jacking the prices up) so, assuming the 6000 cards do what AMD says they can, Nvidia might actually have pushed people towards the red team.

And they're cheaper ($500 in the case of the 6900 XT vs the ridiculous 3090) and more efficient as well. The only issue left is drivers but I read that they've brought in a whole new team to oversee the development (because AMD are basically powering both of the next-gen consoles) so it's even looking good on that front.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I really, really hope they can pull it off this generation. Nvidia have not exactly covered themselves in glory over the last 5 years, obscene price rises because they essentially had a monopoly.

I was going top hold out and see what some of the more exotic versions of the 3070/3080 looked like but we have a new contender!

I was contemplating a complete new system in the spring, it could well end up an AMD affair, CPU/GPU.

"The North remembers!"

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Embattle

FH is my second home
It's looking good for AMD. Of course wait for reviews but the FPS figures aren't going to be more than a couple of percent out, there's simply no benefit for AMD to blatantly lie about their products. It's starting to look like Nvidia got wind of what the 6000 cards could do and, realising they hadn't built a good enough product, rushed their own cards out as a paper launch with barely any stock to try and snag as many sales as possible before AMD announced.

The amount of people I've seen committing to buying the the 30x0 cards without waiting to see what AMD was going to deliver (funnily enough, at least 1 of them now popping up in this thread encouraging everybody to "wait and see") is ridiculous so I guess their strategy of rushing a product out with a snazzy presentation worked to a point. The problem with paper launches though is that they've pissed a lot of people off (no stock and retailers jacking the prices up) so, assuming the 6000 cards do what AMD says they can, Nvidia might actually have pushed people towards the red team.

And they're cheaper ($500 in the case of the 6900 XT vs the ridiculous 3090) and more efficient as well. The only issue left is drivers but I read that they've brought in a whole new team to oversee the development (because AMD are basically powering both of the next-gen consoles) so it's even looking good on that front.

No they don't but all of the companies are selective in what they do to make sure it shows the processor, card, etc at its best, so in the case of the 6900 XT chart they've got both Rage Mode and SAM (Ryzen 5000 processors only) active.

Again I like many want more competition because ultimately it should result in better products at more competitive prices, however in all my graphics cards history I've only had two cards that really caused me problems the first being 4870x2 and the second was another Ati/AMD product that blew up.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Meh. I've got Nvidia/intel at the moment but for the best part of 15 years I ran AMD/Radeon and I've not really had any problems with either.

Embattle

FH is my second home
If I was buying today I would probably go AMD on the processor side, a mixture of performance and not constantly stiffing users on pin changes helps.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
AMD is an absolute no-brainer on the CPU side right now. In my opinion it already was with the Ryzen 3000s but even more so now with the improvements that the 5000s bring (especially single thread performance). There are probably still a few specific productivity use-cases where Intel is a better choice (I think Adobe Premiere performs better on Intel) but for a general purpose PC I don't know why anyone wouldn't go with AMD. The only thing that works against the current gen is that A520/B550/X570 are the last chipsets that'll use the AM4 socket so a new motherboard would most likely be needed for the Ryzen 6000s (or whatever AMD calls them).

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The Asus ROG Strix LC 6800 XT. Even with all the RGB nonsense that's a good looking card.

fyrw7xz1o1w51.png

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Would look pretty nice sat on top of my ROG Tuf motherboard...I was looking at a smoked glass panel for my Fractal Design case the other day.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
That 6800 XT is starting to look pretty attractive.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I agree with all the wait and see and driver stability Above. :)
This. Geforce drivers just work.

I think AMD have a better shot this time as they've been working on DirectX stuff for the new Xbox

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
This. Geforce drivers just work.

I think AMD have a better shot this time as they've been working on DirectX stuff for the new Xbox

Like I said, AMD have CPUs and GPUs in the bag now if they move forward like this... they really should invest in drivers now, once they wrap those up too they'll just be better in every, shape and form until intel and nvidia drop their prices and invest more into R&D.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Tempted by the 6800xt. But but drivers. 🤪 And dlss

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If Smart Access Memory actually provides a benefit (which it seems to) it's an absolute master stroke from AMD. They're taking on 2 behemoths in Intel and Nvidia separately and the 2 lines of products their launching to take those companies on work better together than a Ryzen 5000 CPU with an Nvidia GPU or an Intel CPU with a RX 6000 GPU.

Embattle

FH is my second home
6800XT

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I am getting more and more tempted by the amd cards. If they have stock rather than the shambles nvidia launch was i might spin the dice on the 6800xt. Even outside of rage mode theres only ever a few frames difference to the 3080 and the power use is much less

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom