Radar! How many on YOUR server are using it? Details inside!

Revz

Fledgling Freddie
I know that several people playing DAoC have played TFC so I'm suprised that someone hasn't mentioned the infamous "Roaster John" wallhack sting there. Basically two well known members of the community wrote a wallhack/cheat program for TFC and distributed it anonymously through all the normal cheating/hacking channels. The difference with this program was that it logged a persons IP, name and unique WON id on a master server that was running (similar to this radar). After the cheat had been in use for a few months all of the logs and a large database of people it had caught was presented to league admins and got everyone who had been using it banned :) There were loads of people who got caught by that, quite a lot of well known faces too.

PS. Roaster John is an anagram of Trojan Horse :)

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Revz said:
I know that several people playing DAoC have played TFC so I'm suprised that someone hasn't mentioned the infamous "Roaster John" wallhack sting there. Basically two well known members of the community wrote a wallhack/cheat program for TFC and distributed it anonymously through all the normal cheating/hacking channels. The difference with this program was that it logged a persons IP, name and unique WON id on a master server that was running (similar to this radar). After the cheat had been in use for a few months all of the logs and a large database of people it had caught was presented to league admins and got everyone who had been using it banned :) There were loads of people who got caught by that, quite a lot of well known faces too.

Thats fecking brilliant! Someone do that now!

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Old.Ilum said:
41% from Albion / Prydwen? I can hardly believe it. I wish the radar-program also tracked names ;/

Props to Midgard for having the lowest percentage of radar users on Prydwen. I have to admit it comes as a surprise. By far not as big shock as the high numbers in general tho.

Hopefully, people wont see the large percentage as an excuse to start using radar themselves.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the server\realm. This is single people using it, and wether its the zerg realm or the most underpopulated ones means nothing. And I dont think many use radar activly. Very few actually. Its easy for others in the same realm to notice, and you all know that most people would gladly get a guild member or whatever banned if he did it.

kr0n

Fledgling Freddie
Revz said:

Shame TFC sucks ass :( Well, perhaps not a shame... Still sucks tho.

old.Sko

Fledgling Freddie
Blood said:
i hope goa will work extra hard to catch and ban these people.. i also wish they would make examples of the people caught.

im afraid stronger encryption wont work, since the key to decrypt the traffic will always be on the client.

To obtain this key, you should invoke ReadProcessMemory, and there are ways to check for such invocation and send a little "hi there" message to mythics. I believe there will be bunch of banning after this patch goes live.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
I'm only worried about people who use radar in RvR and I don't think it's as common as those figures suggest. There're less than 5 guild on Prydwen who've made me suspicious.

Radar doesn't mean you will win. What counts in this game is a good rvr group... Most likely the people who download a radar, get ready to "wtfpwn" in RvR and end up getting their asses kicked by the first group they meet. A good RvR group with radar support is sick though.

Voicecomms are pretty common in guild groups, so the person leading doesn't need to be using a radar. It could be anyone in the group and there would be no suspcious chatlogs for Mythic/GoA to read.

The only sure way to track radar users is for a GM to send out fake packets, simulating a group of players... and see how many enemy groups run towards them.

P.S. Does anyone know how far away a radar can see players from?
No, it's not a trick question to catch anyone out :p

I expect it's been posted somewhere but haven't come across it myself. I'd guess it's 2x Clipping range, as that's almost when I feel lag for other players(and my hardrive loads the skins).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom