Radar! How many on YOUR server are using it? Details inside!

kr0n

Fledgling Freddie
Cigies said:
Connact actually reaches into the frontier for a small distance, he'd be better running the test on a different zone.
Yeah, but only hibs can still be in Connacht. Of course albs and mids can get to connacht by suiciding but happens quite rarely.

And since those "statistics" are based on the map downloads, nothing else, it would just mean how many times it has been downloaded. Of course Im guessing the guy is quite smart so he thought about multiple downloads by same person... But then again, nothing is for sure.

Khalen

Fledgling Freddie
As expected a long time ago... There's always cheaters and little kids who wanna win always...

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
sooo.... I guess the numbers will increase more soon after ppl have read this thread and seen the program is free to use. Great.

I dont understand why Mythic just dont put in a minimap ingame. Puts people on same condition and also encourages bigger fights which is in line with Mythics vision of how DAoC is.. Realm vs Realm, not gg vs gg.

Night

Fledgling Freddie
Its what we have stealthers for....to tell us information on the full grps, which they do very well i must say. :cheers:

Mobius

Can't get enough of FH
You know someone could just google radar and Capnbry and find the program now? ^^

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
I think this forum opens up some very important answers too all those

Omg my account got haxored people you always meet.

It wouldnt suprise me if someone has gotten hold of a lot of account infromation through radar information logged in sold everything to his own alt logged off.

Also the fact that the radar program is logging ip's whats to stop goa from contacting the producer of the radar and asking him if they could take a look at the ip information and thus they can trace back too all those accounts that use radar for cheating purposes.

It wouldnt suprise me if Goa knows exactly who the radar users are and are just waiting for the next months payment to come out of the accounts and then deleting the account with a dont cheat.

I would say this forum is helpful and informative and might pose as a warning too those people who might be thinking about cheating.

Tay

Grumpy old fecker
Gorre said:
lol :)
this got nuffin to do with radar what so ever
just ppl using outdated pcs

like me
or in konahs case he just ld's as soon as there is 10fg close :D

anyway delete this thread allrdy
its just giving ppl bad ideas imho..

I run a P4, 2.4Ghz, 1GB 333Mhz, Radeon 9800 128MB, ATA133 disks, 1MB Cable connection, I dont think I'd call that outdated.

I used to be able to tell when 1-2FG+ were heading our way by the lag, and I would tell people in my grp about it too.

Thats nothing to do with a crap PC or bad connection its to do with a weak game engine.

old.Whoodoo

Can't get enough of FH
While these stats do show ppl are using radar, its by no means accurate.

Firstly (Im not sure how this thing works tbh), surely you only DL the maps once? Then (as someone said) your ISP (if you are on DHCP) changes your IP. Your anonomous again here?

Then the stats are produced in places like Mularn, when most RvRers and many PvEers like me, very rarely enter, as I port from Aegirhamn to Uppland then beyond. Im sure its the same for most ppl in the 3 realms.

The time scale of this test is unsure too, perhaps thats since beta, who knows...

I was a bit cheesed when capnbry started advertising this radar prog on his site. His webby is a great source of mob locs, handy for kill tasking or just finding the right kill mobs or quest critters, and I for onetold all my mates about it as it was so great, then the win32 version of this radar (previously only worked on Linux) came out and made me cringe. Its also available from an open source web site (any Linux fan should know the one), which again isnt good for the game.

Perhaps we will end up with a thing like Punk Buster on CS, lets hope.

Novo

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
Pretty pathetic really, Mythic could prevent these radar programs working VERY easily if they bothered to try.

how exactly? an anti radar firewall? its not that easy chap

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Phixion said:
Grats to spoilt little script kiddies like him ruining the game for all the honest players.

You obviously have no idea what a script kiddie actualy is.

Hats off to the author, its nice to see statistics being reported back to a central location, maybe now Mythic and GOA will start to realise how much of a problem this is.

And to all the other people who think the author now has control over your machine, look into the CVS.

Fenderon

Can't get enough of FH
Take a look at http://www.camelotherald.com/more/1315.shtml

Now this is probably the little cheat that people talked about when that alb relic acted all weird..

Anyhow, radar programs will be alot harder to deal with. Is it even worth the try? Even if they start encrypting the traffic (that will generate a bigger load on both server and client btw) someone will allways find a way around. The US players might be free of radar-crap for a month.. but when WE get that patch the updated radar is allready out there.

my 2 cents

-Fenderon <The Dark Alliance> Level 50 Warrior - 3L1

Blood

Fledgling Freddie
i hope goa will work extra hard to catch and ban these people.. i also wish they would make examples of the people caught.

im afraid stronger encryption wont work, since the key to decrypt the traffic will always be on the client.

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
41% from Albion / Prydwen? I can hardly believe it. I wish the radar-program also tracked names ;/

Props to Midgard for having the lowest percentage of radar users on Prydwen. I have to admit it comes as a surprise. By far not as big shock as the high numbers in general tho.

Hopefully, people wont see the large percentage as an excuse to start using radar themselves.

Kreig

One of Freddy's beloved
Old.Ilum said:
41% from Albion / Prydwen? I can hardly believe it. I wish the radar-program also tracked names ;/

Probley has all there acc's keylogged as well, but then i guess he wont report them as he/she isnt gunna grass up his own customers now is he/she :(

Tbh these figures dont supprise me, would be nice to know exactly what lamers it is tho...

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Kreig said:
Probley has all there acc's keylogged as well, but then i guess he wont report them as he/she isnt gunna grass up his own customers now is he/she :(

Tbh these figures dont supprise me, would be nice to know exactly what lamers it is tho...

Care to read the entire post first ? and get some facts.... download the CVS youll see there are no backdoors, no keyloggers and no trojans.

The radar in question downloads the map from his central server to the client, this saves packaging ALL the maps with his application, but it has the advantage that every time you enter a new zone (first time only) you make an IP connection to his service and download the map.

The numbers quoted on the site are for three set maps, the numbers quoted are NOT the amount of people using Radar, it is simply the amount of people who have loaded his app and connected to Mythic/GOA servers which made his app request one of these 3 noted map files. A curious user who loads up this app and connects to an official DAOC server would bump up that number by one (and stands a good chance of having their account BANNED !!)

Its very easy for this guy to release a list of IP's with time/dates they requested the map files to Mythic/Goa to compare against their login server. so play safe, stick to the EULA/CoC and DONT CHEAT !!!!

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
How horribly sad tbh... the numbers are within the few hundreds but that's still bad. All you need are a few "respected" sad fucks to "have a hunch" and the whole scenario comes out completely different.
Anyway, as I understood it, the stats could prove very accurate. You only have to enter one of the zones once (depending on realm, one of the three from which this guy gets stats) and you have been logged. Surely within a 2 month period you will enter the zone tracked by this program...
CapnBry even said:
Here is a breakdown of all users (each only counted once)
Later in the thread CapnBry said:
Yes Warsteinerr is right. Not that 42% of all Hibs, but 42% of the 267 have been in Connacht.

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
Nxs said:
Its very easy for this guy to release a list of IP's with time/dates they requested the map files to Mythic/Goa to compare against their login server. so play safe, stick to the EULA/CoC and DONT CHEAT !!!!
Oh my, this would be the best prank ever... he gets a dedicated cheater base under him and then releases the IP's.
Oh my, this would be too funny to bare :clap:
Hope someone would convince him to do this :)

SFXman

One of Freddy's beloved
Hoh, I just have to make another post, anyone notice this in that thread on the VN boards?
Date Posted: 1/30 5:44am Subject: RE: who went bye bye? - Date Edited: 1/30 5:46am (1 edits total) Edited By: MightyNest
A couple of nights ago someone in my ML1 raid was using Excalibur. CSR was very grateful for my appealing him, needless to say he got booted from the raid when we totally confirmed he was using it. I personally put him on ignore when he started crying to me in PMs for getting booted from raid, but Val captured this:

http://val.biggz.org/rupanpms.jpg
What a sad, sad bugger. I mean look at him, "I do not consider this cheating"... L-O-L :m00:

Kreig

One of Freddy's beloved
Nxs said:
Care to read the entire post first ? and get some facts.... download the CVS youll see there are no backdoors, no keyloggers and no trojans.

So? Some one who could write a program like that would probley have the skills need to hack. Infact theres enough gimp ppl out there there that dont have skills but still hack anyway. Would be rough justice.

I did read the whole post, so quiet :eek:

Ppl who d/l Radar programs out of "Curiousity" are lamers, because theres no such thing when it comes to cheats, ppl have morals ppl know what cheats are and the implications on any online game. Its human nature they will use it so > Ban Acc. And anyone who has actually played the game and knows anything about the game and has no Knowledge of what radar is, is a gimp. Btw thats not imply that "knowing what a radar is" implys using it or d/ling it.

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
Korax said:
Can you people get a grip? These numbers are obviously showing the amount of people that has used the radar once or more. And I'm guessing 90% of them was a one-time only to see what they are up against.

May I say LOL.

And once more:

LOL.

-_-

-SF

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Bishibosh said:
wow.. am i the only one that didnt realise quite how widespread this is lol.. i just thought it was maybe 5% avg

If only 200 unique IPs have used on excal ever, then actually these numbers show that concurrent usage at this point is likely to be *much* less than 5%.

My guess is 200 IPs in the history of excal means probably under 10 individuals are using it right now.

I'm (happily) shocked that the numbers are so low.

Arindra

Fledgling Freddie
Blood said:
im afraid stronger encryption wont work, since the key to decrypt the traffic will always be on the client.

Also adding encyption and decryption stages to the processing of real time game packets is going to totally impractical if you want acceptable latency levels.

Unless you use really crappy encryption in which case there is no point anyway.

Jenkz

Fledgling Freddie
this is one radar program alone?

how many other radar programs are freely available, for multiple platforms?.... im sure the numbers using it are much more than this thread says.

there are too many people using it, and its too difficult to detect, for GOA/Mythic to really come up with ban-solutions to radar.

as said above by blood and arindra (who are both perfectly correct) there is no reliable way to stop the packet sniffing of, and the "translation/decryption" of the daoc datastream. cant catch them using it, cant stop them using it, what else can we/mythic do?...

the only way IMO to solve this is to implement limited radar functionality into the game itself, then nobody is cheating and nobody is at a disadvantage.

mythic are talking about "notification of where battles are" for frontiers anyway, and I dont see believe being shown clients/mobs already in clipping range on a map will destroy rvr or the game.

there are so many people blatently using radar in solo rvr or group rvr its getting to the stage where something needs to be done by mythic at a gameplay level.

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
hellfish said:
Usage data based on DDS map downloads of Camelot Hills,
Vale of Mularn, Connacht.

/Hellfish

why couldnt a mid request a map of connacht, doh? these statistics are just good to show how many actually use the program, unless the creator of the software says how exactly he labels users of each realm

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Brunore said:
Hmm, I wonder if the usage is the only info being sent.

I have seen lots and lots of screenshots of this app running, you are able to "cache" character login's.

Just look at all the "I have been hacked, honest!!!1" posts that we see, the app is probably sending the user/pass as well.

Heh, mythic should have dealt with the radar problem in a sneaky way by releasing their own radar software through a faked personae and then getting it to send the user log on details straight to them for an instaban....
Entrapment4tehwin!

Of course anone worth their salt would not run the software without first checking it out properly and seeing if it opens any outgoing ports and or has any spyware/backdoors. TBH it would be a piece of piss to release something like this with a keystroke logger or similar to gather all sorts of juicy information like full credit card details and the installer would have themselves to blame..... In fact it wouldn't suprise me if some versions do have nasty little bits of spyware in them.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Arindra said:
If only 200 unique IPs have used on excal ever, then actually these numbers show that concurrent usage at this point is likely to be *much* less than 5%.

My guess is 200 IPs in the history of excal means probably under 10 individuals are using it right now.

I'm (happily) shocked that the numbers are so low.

Not necessarily, even with dhcp services the ip addresses given out to home users rarely change, especially for adsl users and high usage dialup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom