Quality of Excalibur vs Prydwen RvR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Given that Prydwen is up soon again and the repercussions of the problems they encountered are not too great, I expect we will see Prydwen and Excalibur clustered very soon. This naturally has one very interesting effect: the frontiers will be clustered and the various realms of the two servers will suddenly be fighting a common cause together against the combined enemy realms.

What do you think will happen--which server has the "best" RvR when it comes to keeptaking and large-scale warfare (organization and motivation), and which server has the best gank groups (skill, RRs and experience)? Which do you think server will pull ahead and take leadership in these two aspects (keep siege and FGvsFG)?

sphir

Fledgling Freddie
im looking forward to having Nolby,Maelstrom & groove in same frontier !

Eleasias

Can't get enough of FH
picking a server in start rly makes you more skilled than others who picked a diff server! there are good grps and bad zergers on both servers.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
really depends on ppl returning or not.

my guess is :

Keeps-relics ---> albs will rule here, probably getting 1 or 2 relics, hibs animistfarming back some l8r...
Open field fgvsfg ---> hibs will "dominate" with the odd "mid's week" at least number of set grps wise... albs are in lack of set grps atm, at least on prydwen.

best rvsr grp,, mm dunno played both servers and both had grps that had real blast days/weeks till people worked out a strategy against them or some even RR foe started a grp :)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Yes, Eleasias, but on the other hand, the evolution of RvR on the two servers has been radically different for various reasons. From my experience on playing both servers, Prydwen used to have a more competitive gank group climate, leading to an overall higher quality of the gank groups (that's not to say that the best groups were necessarily on Prydwen, but that the groups were of a more even high quality). However, lately, Prydwen's population decrease has meant that this level of competitiveness has dropped considerably, and I believe that the Excalibur RvR scene has pulled ahead. For example, Alb/Prydwen barely has any active RvR groups, whereas Alb/Excalibur have a fair few.

It's also a fact that for the keep warfare part, Hibs are the dominating force on Prydwen (with rarely an enemy-held tower or keep in their own frontier), whereas Hibs on Excal have more or less given up on holding off enemy forces from their frontier. I am sure this will have some interesting and beneficial effects when the servers are clustered.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
In my opinion, there are two determinating factors: individual skill and group setup/strategy or metagame. I don´t think that the sum of individial skill is any different between Pry and Exc, simply because a considerable number of players are playing both servers and because there isn´t much "skill" involved in DAoC anyways (by that, I mean: the ammount of stuff you have to learn and practice is quite limited, compared to other games where you constantly have to practice in order to increase your playing skills).
As for group setup and strategy... although both servers are isolated from each other, the gamedesign is pretty stiff. The advantage and disadvantages of certain classes and their utility in and for groups are too obvious in most cases to allow completely different setups. In addition, people from both servers are reading the same ressources, vnboards and - because of the Pry AND Exc players - they´re also reading both FH server boards. Although the quality of content of vnboards (and FH too) isn´t too high, I think it still has an impact on the way people look at RvR.
So, my guess is, that because of all those mentioned overlapping sources of information and playerbase, the gamepaly shouldn´t be too different.

But then... I might be completely wrong :D

Yunio

Fledgling Freddie
Difficult to say.

Can't say much about it as ive never seen the gank groups play of prydwen play, besides the odd vid.

I expect the gank groups of pryd to be near same level as the gank groups on excal. Interesting will be to see if NP can still wtfpwn the prydwenites as well :) ( if they dont log on hib pryd that is, and if they still play)

As for the larger scale battles, alb will dominate most likely, hopefully less morning relic raids!
Perhaps (if the reputation of the hibbies on pryd matches the expecation) the hibbies can show albs some nice tactical warfare and grab a relic or 3! :D

On the whole.. expecting a big zerg fest! hopefully rvr will spread out in all areas and not just clustered into one zone!!

Lethul

FH is my second home
dont think there will be any major difference, mid groups should rule as they do on most servers :D

but no offence belomar, what did you really know about excal gank groups before you switched server?

duact

Fledgling Freddie
Lethul said:
dont think there will be any major difference, mid groups should rule as they do on most servers :D

but no offence belomar, what did you really know about excal gank groups before you switched server?

he knew who farmed him and his SS brothers

Frozodo

Fledgling Freddie
yeah looking forward to be grped with all the old guys / gals i use to in grp with from Hib Prydwen /respec to Sehannie and his brother ofc and the rest of all the stealther crew i use to grp with :worthy:

Boobz

Loyal Freddie
Im really looking forward to clustering. I can see there being seperate Raids led by people from both sides of the fence, which IMO can only lead to a better understanding of the game for all.

Could be a lot of fun.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Lethul said:
What has that got to do with anything? :rolleyes: Anyone with an eye on the FH forums, discussions on IRC, statistics on Duskwave, events, movies etc, can follow the trends of the RvR scene, both for the keep siegers as well as the gank groups. It's not rocket science, but I guess I need to spell out my meaning in the future. Furthermore, while I never had the ambition to play in a fixed group back then (for various reasons), I did my share of high-end RvR in good groups.

But yes, hotshot, in the end it all comes down to this: I've been out of touch with the Excalibur community for the last year, and thus I made this thread to ask the people who do have an idea of the server what they think. No offense, but what do you really know about basic reasoning and logic?

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
Concerning gank groups i don't think there will be a big difference. As lethul said mid groups should dominate (no matter whether from pryd or excal). Gank groups (at least on excal) are not very stable - people come and go (due to various reasons) which often leads to inactivity of certain groups.

The more interesting question is how the overall game balance will be. I think that clustering pryd/excal will be radically different from the US clusters since there are only 2 english EU servers and whoever got chars on excal has most likely also chars on pryd and vice versa. What happens if one realm manages to capture a lot of relics? Will this cause mass-movement from one realm to another?

In general it will also be interesting where the people are gonna play mainly. The last weeks/months have been very PvE-centered for many excal players rolling new toons on prydwen (guess it was also the other way round).

I expect albion to get hold of some relics soon - as good as hib/pryd players seem to be organised there is hardly anything one can do against such a massive zerg and off-peak-hours raids.

Calo

Part of the furniture
mole - lethul = 1-0

anyway, I just REALLY HOPE mid/pryd has some good rvr leaders who want to raid keeps & relics.

rure

Fledgling Freddie
As already mentioned I dont think there are any difference between the servers in terms of gank groups effectiveness. Infact they are more similar than most people think. Seeing how a group tries out a new set-up on one server, and the other server adapts that set-up after meeting them with their alts and/or rumours on irc/FH.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
It will be interesting to see if the fact that most people have characters on two realms will lead to a desire for the relics to be neutral all the time.

Or whether as suggested people will move realms with relics.

Lethul

FH is my second home
Belomar said:
What has that got to do with anything? :rolleyes: Anyone with an eye on the FH forums, discussions on IRC, statistics on Duskwave, events, movies etc, can follow the trends of the RvR scene, both for the keep siegers as well as the gank groups. It's not rocket science, but I guess I need to spell out my meaning in the future. Furthermore, while I never had the ambition to play in a fixed group back then (for various reasons), I did my share of high-end RvR in good groups.

But yes, hotshot, in the end it all comes down to this: I've been out of touch with the Excalibur community for the last year, and thus I made this thread to ask the people who do have an idea of the server what they think. No offense, but what do you really know about basic reasoning and logic?

Fair enough, but watching movies would only make an "outsider" think excal groups are better, reading FH only shows whiners, statistics on duskwave says nothing except /play. And no, there pretty much was no high-end alb RvR groups back then on excal.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Lethul said:
Fair enough, but watching movies would only make an "outsider" think excal groups are better, reading FH only shows whiners, statistics on duskwave says nothing except /play. And no, there pretty much was no high-end alb RvR groups back then on excal.
All right. My point was that it seems to me that there has been an increase in Excalibur RvR groups lately (after NF), whereas Prydwen has seen the reverse evolution. More gank groups -> more fights -> more competion -> players are pressed to the best of their abilities, which is why I said I believe Excalibur to be slightly ahead.

But yes, most likely the gank groups will be on an even footing. For keep warfare, the two servers seem to complement each other very nicely (Alb/Pryd is leaderless and disillusioned atm, Alb/Excal is motivated and has a high RvR presence), which will probably mean more fun for this crowd as well.

Any cross-server gank groups being formed or already formed, btw? :)

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
I don't see how this will be a good thing to be honest, just more zergs, camped bridges, stealth groups and cross-realmers.

people will just switch realms with the relics and guilds will fall out over members doing this.

Eventually it will settle down and not be much different to how it is now just with larger numbers.

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I guess we should not see more unclaimed towers or even keeps (hello exc hibs ;p).
Depends on situation certain areas could get very zergy, but hopefully people rather make their templates done so they will be able to run in groups. So in longer term I hope for balanced fights spread in larger areas.
As for relic raids and keep takes... you can't conquer a keep with one group unless it is totaly undefended - you'll always need a zerg for that... and the more defenders you get, the longer it takes to make a progress in conquering, so the relic raid starting at primetime can very easily end at 1-2am... you won't do a thing about it, unless one side gives up.
And now giv rps for pryd middies and hibbies ;p

Lethul

FH is my second home
Belomar said:
All right. My point was that it seems to me that there has been an increase in Excalibur RvR groups lately (after NF), whereas Prydwen has seen the reverse evolution. More gank groups -> more fights -> more competion -> players are pressed to the best of their abilities, which is why I said I believe Excalibur to be slightly ahead.

But yes, most likely the gank groups will be on an even footing. For keep warfare, the two servers seem to complement each other very nicely (Alb/Pryd is leaderless and disillusioned atm, Alb/Excal is motivated and has a high RvR presence), which will probably mean more fun for this crowd as well.

hmm, not sure what you mean with cross-server gank groups. but NP has 2 setups ready on both servers, village people has 2 setups, groove has rolled alb/pry afaik. Thats about it tho i think.

rure

Fledgling Freddie
Belomar said:

Kinda, we are stealing a sorc from pryd and there will prollybe lots of cross-server pugs among the most rvr-biased guilds.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
I mean, are there any fixed gank groups consisting of players from both servers playing in the same (clustered) realm?

EDIT: Rure got it right, thanks. ;)

illu

Part of the furniture
I agree with Kagato.

To win keeps and relics, it is a numbers game. If Pryd has the same number ratios of mid/hib/albs as we have on Excal, it doesn't matter how skilled the players are, how elite the FG's are, Albs will steamroll everywhere like ants and get all 6 relics. Then it will be a case of hibs and mids getting those keeps with the realms relics in them, but I think most of the time Albs will have 4-6 relics.

I just hope there are more low RR players available to kill :> Most fights I get into seem to be with high RR toons. Everyone make some caster alts for me to kill please :>

Oli - Illu

Poox

Loyal Freddie
What I think is that people will stick to just one realm, because no-one's going to waste time waiting an hour to get onto another realm.

hopefully it should balance out and people will have to choose one or the other.. and i doubt many people are going to spread info on one realm about another.. all because of this hour wait.

But I am not happy about the hour wait because I enjoy both Albion and Hibernia and i'd like to play both but i'm going to have to choose... unless I played one one day and the other the other day, but that's quite a pain because you can't just 'log in at a touch of a button'

Lethul

FH is my second home
rure said:
Kinda, we are stealing a sorc from pryd and there will prollybe lots of cross-server pugs among the most rvr-biased guilds.

and NP stealing lorfo? :)
and hopefully pry uses svges :p

kirennia

Part of the furniture
I predict albs are going to finally be outnumbered. More people I've spoken to on alb/excal have talked about their pryd alts then those who haven't thus I don't think many of the excal/albs will be staying put come cluster.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture

Yes you're correct Belomar, the population on prydwen has dropped, and that had also influence on the "zerging". If there are less people, zerging is not so common then on a server with 3500 people.

Excalibur albion certainly brings in the "roleplaying" factor with the large numbers they bring, but also skilled setups.
Prydwen albion brings maybe 1 or 2 nice groups, rest is stealther.

Midgard Excalibur, cannot really say since there aren't many mids in the frontiers anymore.
Midgard Prydwen, brings some excellent soloërs with them, and also some very very good gg's, and.... even that it's hard for me to say, they aren't zerging like hibernia or albion. (Ofcourse they sometimes are with a big army, but nothing like hibernia or albion) <note, i play hibernia>.

Hibernia Excalibur, brings stealthers, zergs, gg's.......
Hibernia Prydwen, brings stealthers, loootssss of vampiirs :p, hmm yes I think we zerg asswell from time to time, organised though.. and very nice gg's.

thats my view... flame away :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom