PS3 has lost to Wii and Xbox360 (discuss)

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Number of units sold does not equate to the quality of product. I did not say it does not work, I pointed out its very severe limitations.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Number of units sold does not equate to the quality of product. I did not say it does not work, I pointed out its very severe limitations.

10x10 is very low but is working though, you say it is limited but is it really the hardware/drivers that are limited or the how some of the launch games are using it? Some games seem to be much more accurate than others but the real proof of the pudding will be in a years time when the platform is mature.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the hardware is as good as it should have been because it blatently isn't but I still believe enough can be done with it to satisfy the causual and mainstream gamer.

Still hope I it is a success, not because it is a MS product but because I see great potential with future iterations of the technology. For that to happen Kinect will need a decent amount of market penetration this generation.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Did you even read the article I posted? It explains it all there. 10x10 pixels is the MAX the hardware can use to detect hands and fingers, it has nothing to do with the games usage of the device. The system itself is barely capable of the stuff it's designed for.

Like the Sony guys say, the concept behind Kinect itself is a good one - if only it didn't have so many inherent flaws it might one day be useful, but not for a long time yet.

JBP|

Part of the furniture
The point of the kinect is fun, and it does it wonderfully, i cant comment on the move as i havn't had a go on one.

As for accuracy, i couldn't give a big dogs cock, i'm too busy laughing and getting sweaty.

although for something that "is not accurate" why the hell does the fitness trainer tell me in not lifting my legs or arms high enough?

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Oh FGS, someone else wading in with a silly question without thinking.

Accuracy refers to precision, exactness.

Even a very low res system can detect large movements of large limbs as it doesn't have to be exact. The software probably has an 'ideal section/point' for something like this, and it'll simply be a line or area that you must put that body part in.

What you've just asked is "why does it work?" not "how accurate is it?". The whole thing of it functions yes, and provides fun. But what happens after the novelty wears off? Nothing, it gets put away because you can't do anything with it that isn't exposed as being very shallow as there is no quality of accuracy for the most important thing you move for these games - your hands.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Oh FGS, someone else wading in with a silly question without thinking.

Accuracy refers to precision, exactness.

Even a very low res system can detect large movements of large limbs as it doesn't have to be exact. The software probably has an 'ideal section/point' for something like this, and it'll simply be a line or area that you must put that body part in.

What you've just asked is "why does it work?" not "how accurate is it?". The whole thing of it functions yes, and provides fun. But what happens after the novelty wears off? Nothing, it gets put away because you can't do anything with it that isn't exposed as being very shallow as there is no quality of accuracy for the most important thing you move for these games - your hands.

Personally i think your over reacting.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
360 posts some massive November numbers...

Sales of boxed software, hardware and accessories were up during November in the US by 8 per cent, the first rise in the market for seven months.

The market generated $2.99 billion in revenues, up from $2.76 billion for the same month last year. Year to date sales are $14.73 billion, 5 per cent down on 2009.

Microsoft's Xbox 360 sold 1.37 million units during the month, up 68 per cent, while Bloomberg reports the PlayStation 3 sold 530,000 units, down 25 per cent on last year.

Nintendo's Wii sales were up marginally at less than 1 per cent to 1.27 million units, and the DS family of consoles moved 1.5 million units. Overall hardware sales were up 2 per cent during November, pulling in revenues of $1.08 billion.

Software was up 3 per cent for the month, with Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops dominating sales and shifting 8.4 million units - one in four of every new boxed game sold.

Ubisoft also scored hits with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood and Just Dance 2 ranking second and third for the month. NPD also noted that the music genre was up 38 per cent due to sales of Just Dance and Dance Central.

Microsoft's Kinect helped push peripheral sales up a massive 69 per cent according to NPD, and with less than a month on sale has already become the best-selling accessory of the year.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
PS3 seems to have had a stealth price drop today, now £200 for the 160gb slim at every major retailer I looked at so far.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's been around a little while I think mate, if i had to guess since about when the Tesco no vat deal was on.

That said its why I'm eager to get my 320gb with move starter as it should work out at £220 after cashback.

As this threads been bumped. I just put BootMii etc on my wii. It's now a very sexy media centre.

Nintendo are so stupid. £5 for HTPC setup on wii store and they could make a mint but no.

Oh and because mine is old (before they started using crippled disc drives) mine plays DVD's.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
tbh its all a licensings issue,if they allow dvd play back then they gotta pay the relevant parties fees for evey wii sold, and every wii due to come off the production line. its thier way to keep the cost substationally low

having said that i am suprised they have chopped the retial price down much either

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yaka said:
tbh its all a licensings issue,if they allow dvd play back then they gotta pay the relevant parties fees for evey wii sold, and every wii due to come off the production line. its thier way to keep the cost substationally low

having said that i am suprised they have chopped the retial price down much either
Dunno. DVD software on a PC must be workable. I don't see this as any different.

Anyway, WiiMC is epic. Plays anything I've thrown at it. Picks up everything from my NAS over WiFi and is smart enough .

Yaka

Part of the furniture
aye it is good for what it does, pld no more heroes 2 yet?

also PSN being down for the weekend the way some "scene" sites like psx are reporting it is funneh and shit at the same time. most likly script kiddes associated with anon are behind it.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm thankful that my PS3 turned up after this started & that I've never bought anything on PSN.

Aada

Part of the furniture
I'm thankful that my PS3 turned up after this started & that I've never bought anything on PSN.

You can't play online with it though lol

I know several people at work who are mighty pissed off at the moment with not being able to go online with their PS3.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'm not bothered tbh, I only have a PS3 because my XBOX did the old RRoD trick.

I'd be fucked off if I was playing DC Universe though.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I should be safe as my CC address is no longer the same, checked account and all is fine so far. Doubt many, if any, will be affected by it. We'll see though.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Last time I bought anything with my CC was final fantasy 7 a few years ago so I am ok...changed card since.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
PS4 in development, so much for the 10 year lifecycle, they know acknowledge it is a platform business and their platform is totally compromised on a security level. No putting the genie back in the box for PS3 so beat MS to the punch and launch PS4 early, smart move.

He comments:

For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life, but this is a platform business, so for the future platform – when we’ll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that – but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there.

DailyTech - Sony Secures Permission to Restart PSN in Japan, Plots PS4 Launch

ECA

I am a FH squatter
r u srs?

Ps3 came out in 2006, assuming 3-4 years of development work from now ( as 3 months ago they were categorically not ), that means 2014 at the earliest, ie 8-9 years.

Regardless, launching the first next gen console is a bad idea, waiting a year or two after the competitor and launching then imo is a much stronger choice.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Thoughts on a stripped out version of PS3 or indeed a PS4 without optical drive with downloaded content distribution only?

Sony won their format war with the PS3, but at £LOL per unit. Can we expect a reduced cost unit in this gen, or next gen due to lower manufacturing costs (removal of BD drive)?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
PS4 was always in development, if anyone thinks the only thing they've been working on is NGP then you must be mad.

As for drive removal, I would have thought PSNfail would have convinced you all what a shit system download only would be.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
PS4 was always in development, if anyone thinks the only thing they've been working on is NGP then you must be mad.

As for drive removal, I would have thought PSNfail would have convinced you all what a shit system download only would be.

You have a very good point there with regard to PSN, but it has to be said a lot of the major players in the hardware and software industries have been trying to send the optical drive the same way as the floppy for some time now. When general broadband speeds increase slightly, there really will be no need for optical media. It depends on where exactly sony stand on the issue and how far ahead they are thinking. It needs to be said, sony haven't always made particularly good choices on format - look at the UMD and the Minidisk. A wrong decision could be very bad news for them.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

It says something about cloud computing in general though; any major DoS puts it at risk no?

On-demand is definitely where it's going to go, even Linn announced a couple of years ago CD was dead and digital streaming is the future (although, it was old news to us streamer nerds even when Linn announced it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom