PS3 crackeeeeeeeeeeed. Hardcore style.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Thing is with the master keys is doesn't really matter, give it enough time and everything can be bypassed, forced updates ignored and checks given spoofed returns. The entire system is compromised because the glue holding it all together (the keys) were not secure, all for the sake of generating a random number. :D

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Terrible Register article about it:
Sony sues PlayStation 3 'hackers' ? The Register

But it does raise the question - if they can put in some form of fix by a network update - can they make that update compulsary? I suppose they could make changes to the PSN network to limit access until an update is installed, but I doubt that will go down well - not the best way to ensure brand loyalty when the next generation of consoles is probably in development.

They did this with FW 3.55, it was a compulsory update if you wanted to connect to the PSN. In fact every time a new firmware has been issued you had to update to it to play on PSN.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
They did this with FW 3.55, it was a compulsory update if you wanted to connect to the PSN. In fact every time a new firmware has been issued you had to update to it to play on PSN.

Yep, only way around it was a Jailbreak that could carry a payload with spoofing included and even that might be detectable. Safest way is not to go online, second safest is to keep flashing to OFW before connecting to PSN but in all honesty that is still detectable if Sony start scanning the hard drive for installed packages.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Yep, only way around it was a Jailbreak that could carry a payload with spoofing included and even that might be detectable. Safest way is not to go online, second safest is to keep flashing to OFW before connecting to PSN but in all honesty that is still detectable if Sony start scanning the hard drive for installed packages.

2 hardrives? Swap out for PSN.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
2 hardrives? Swap out for PSN.

I think part of the firmware sits in sram on the mainboard, swapping hard drive won't downgrade the firmware or enable swapping between CFW and OFW.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH

Fair enough - I am a bit of a drone when it comes to the PS3 - stick shiny new game in - console says I need a million megabyte download to make it work - press X. By the time I have come to my senses, my coffee has gone cold and it has gone dark, but firmware upgraded and GT5 or whatever works.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
swapping hdds dont work, if you stick in a new drive you have to format it stick the old one back again and same thing you have to format it.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well, I'm going to pick one up now. PS3 as a blu-ray player, etc is now worth it. £210 for the 320gb slim seems a fair deal to me. Plus if we can start messing with shit, it'll be more of a toy.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
buy another for messing around with. unless you are not bothered about psn and mping

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Well, I'm going to pick one up now. PS3 as a blu-ray player, etc is now worth it. £210 for the 320gb slim seems a fair deal to me. Plus if we can start messing with shit, it'll be more of a toy.

Where is it £210 ?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Soz. It's not, I used the 15% off on Zavvi before they went gaybar.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Bah. I tried that for XBox and Kinect today but it had stopped. :/

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Feel better Wijlet, it seems Zavvi have bailed on the deal. I'm going to complain to Trading Standards though because I'm fairly sure I've got a contract (they took the money).

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
sony are launching a law suit against the hackers i hope it ends with serious epic fail for sony. i cant possibly see what kind of case they could bring against them?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
sony are launching a law suit against the hackers i hope it ends with serious epic fail for sony. i cant possibly see what kind of case they could bring against them?

Judging by the iPhone jailbreak case it is going to be tough for Sony, add to that the fact that Geohat is getting some serious backup on the legal side of things and has some heavyweight academics pitching in too.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
they are gonna have to try it atleast. if piracy hits it more that the psp then the ps3 will have hardly any 3rd party games in a couple of years time. why would anyone bother.

makes your wonder if sony will stick to thier plan for 10years of ps3 now.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
they are gonna have to try it atleast. if piracy hits it more that the psp then the ps3 will have hardly any 3rd party games in a couple of years time. why would anyone bother.

Good point and I definately don't see the 10 year plan happening now, not that I ever did but now it has no chance. Already seeing a ton of pirated games in certain places and all the PSN store games are in the process of being uploaded as well which is going to directly hurt Sony's revenue stream.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH

Fair point. I looked at the PSN for my PSP out of boredom for the first time in two years around a month ago - suprisingly few new releases on it. The moment the firmware was cracked, developers ran for hills.

Still, with Xbox and Wii (to a slightly lesser extent) on similar playing fields it might not be so bad.

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
All the homebrew and piracy lark be damned, I just want to play multiregion dvds in mah PS3 :(

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Word of warning, anyone thinking of installing Waninkoko's new 3.55 should wait a while, it seems to be bricking certain models of PS3 and once bricked there is no way back. Would hate to see anyone lose their console because they didn't read up before flashing this custom firmware.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
yep, tho it does seem like he rushed it out without properly "dumb" testing it first. seems very unlike him

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
yep, tho it does seem like he rushed it out without properly "dumb" testing it first. seems very unlike him

The problem is Sony have fiddled with the design so many times, one PS3 is not always the same as another, NAND amounts seems to be a big part of the problem but not the only issue. He really should have tested on a much wider range of SKU's before releasing this, loads of people are bricked now and his reputation is in shreds.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
The problem is Sony have fiddled with the design so many times, one PS3 is not always the same as another, NAND amounts seems to be a big part of the problem but not the only issue. He really should have tested on a much wider range of SKU's before releasing this, loads of people are bricked now and his reputation is in shreds.

poor excuse ms/ninty do that as well and around the time the messiah chip chip came out for the ps2 therewas a few revisions of the ps2 phat about as well some were crap to do and some were piss easy to do

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
poor excuse ms/ninty do that as well and around the time the messiah chip chip came out for the ps2 therewas a few revisions of the ps2 phat about as well some were crap to do and some were piss easy to do

You are talking about hardware mods though, this is all in software and we are talking about multiple layers of security sat in numerous address spaces that all need to be circumvented. One wrong change to memory can result in a brick and that is what happened, mainly because Sony changed the NAND amounts on the console as it refined the design over the last 4 years. The guy totally fucked up and released it after only testing on a handful of newer PS3's, very sloppy and there is no excuse for it. My explanation was not defending him in any way, just trying breakdown what actually happened and why it is so dangerous to try any of the hacks touching Lvl2 at the moment.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Annnnd that's why you never touch custom firmware for a few weeks :p

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Annnnd that's why you never touch custom firmware for a few weeks :p

Well, Geohot's is safe because he explicitly doesn't touch Lvl2 and so not one console has been bricked. So far he is the only one to have tested his custom firmware properly before releasing. The others need to take note, we have had 3 firmwares now that fuck up a good percentage of the machines they are installed on.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
thats great news. just made you wonder why they were acting like they didnt care about how shit a job ea did on the orange box for ps3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom