Pop ups :(

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
How do everyone,

Just a little farty question. I keep getting popup's all the time ie adverts not attached to a site or owt just randon. I believe there is a program to stop this ? Just dont know what its called.

Cheers all.

fatbusinessman

Fledgling Freddie
As Custodian says, AdAware is good. Spybot is another good program which does the same thing. Try either one, or both if you're feeling especially safety-conscious.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
It may be the messenger service that pops up. If it's still happening try blocking ports 135,137, 138 (UDP) and 135, 139, 445 (TCP). I think there's another higher up as well.

You can also disable it by doing this.
1. Go to Start, then Run and type in services.msc Click Ok
2. Scroll to Messenger, select it, right click it and choose Properties.
3. Under startup choose "Disabled", then choose Stop.
4. When stopped, click Ok.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
My brother had this. We eventually killed the process by elimination. If the ad-busting programs don't get it then I'll find the name of the process (it was "win<something>". I'll get in touch with my brother and see if he can remember the name of it. A sneaky bugger it was.

EDIT~
Here we are: WinServ Information. That should sort you out :)

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
remember that not all popups are evil, imagine photo galerys etc. i seen a site where the menu was in a popup once.
greets

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Deadnala said:
remember that not all popups are evil, imagine photo galerys etc. i seen a site where the menu was in a popup once.
greets
While that is true, the phrase "Pop Ups" is taken to refer to advertisments/undesirables. Website features although technically 'popping up' aren't covered by this expression.

In all fairness, features such as the one you describe will cease soon. With pop up blocking now a standard feature in both the quality browsers - and coming soon to IE as well - most webdesigners wont bother with the hassle of having to instruct people to add their site to the whitelist and will adopt for conventional navigation methods. In fairness, with CSS toys to play with, there's a lot of scope for "fancy" navigation without having to mess with popup windows.

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
It has only started since i have installed the windows xp pack 1 :(

Anyways i have dld spybot and im gonna take a look. Thanks for the help fellas :)

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Check if the "WinServ" process is running when they pop up. Kill it through task manager and see if they stop.

Although I'm pretty sure that WinServ will be your answer, I can't believe it's the only one to try and pull off this trick.

L_Plates

Fledgling Freddie
Ok i run spybot and removed aload of junk that was on my pc. Then i found in my startup a program called internet optimizer. So i removed that and all is well :)

Thanks everyone i appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom