Political Correctness Gone Mad ?

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Not sure if this is the right forum, maybe should have been in Entertainment but here we go anyway. Steven Spielberg is making a film about the Israeli Athletes who were murdered at the 1972 Munich Olympics.
Link to BBC article
My question is this when did Black September or whichever splinter group of Palestinians commited this particular atrocity become 'activists' as the third paragraph of the article calls them ?

Later

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Stop seeing the world as black-and-white. That's exactly what they are tbh.

"Terrorists" is a word used by governments to describe a group of activists which use violent means to achieve political aims which are not in concord with the government in question's targets.

"Activists" or "Freedom Fighters" are words used by the same government to describe the same people whost political aims are in concord with the government in question.

Look at Bin Laden - he was a freedom fighter for the US against the Russians in Afghanistan. Now he's public NME numero uno because he used the same sort of tactics that the Americans funded him to do against the Russians against them.

/in a no-nonsense mood this morning, sorry. :eek:

Gef

Fledgling Freddie
One mans terrorist is anothers freedom fighter

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Scouse said:
Look at Bin Laden - he was a freedom fighter for the US against the Russians in Afghanistan. Now he's public NME numero uno because he used the same sort of tactics that the Americans funded him to do against the Russians against them.

<xane>
He didn't fight FOR the US and her didn't need their funding.
</xane>

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Scouse said:

Havent actually heard of Bin laden targetting Russian civilians or atleast during the war in Afganistan. Bin Laden fought against soldiers afaik in Afghanistan and he is hardly doing that now.

But any terrorist could be seen as an activist as they try to "persuade" a goverment to do what they want it do.

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Gengi said:
My question is this when did Black September or whichever splinter group of Palestinians commited this particular atrocity become 'activists' as the third paragraph of the article calls them ?

I would imagine, and please note this is pure speculation... that the film industry in America having a very large Jewish Community influence, may have wanted to distance itself from making a biased film.? Maybe? Other wise it would just be turned into another piece of Anti Semitic spin for those that follow such beliefs.

Did the BS group have any political representatives at all?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Wij said:
<xane>
He didn't fight FOR the US and her didn't need their funding.
</xane>

<wij>
bin Laden has a big willy, too
</wij>

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
GekuL said:
Bit of a shit idea for a film tbh.

lol.. :)

It may well turn out to be a masterpiece of political intrigue, maybe?..

Or maybe not...? :D

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Totally unrelated to 1972 incident, but would rather see more films based on Tom Clancy's books, they always deliver. If Stephen voiced such idea he must have a script for it already, but doesnt want it to fail. Cant blame him either, terrosism is hot right now, as a point of discussion/interest.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
How long before a September 11th film comes out with Afleck playing one of the doomed passengers that rushes the cockpit in the plane that crashed in a field?
Also,
The Munich Olympics killings were also was the subject of the 2000 Oscar-winning documentary One Day in September directed by Kevin Macdonald.
Don't they have proof readers at the BBC?
Spielberg's next movie, The Terminal, starring Tom Hanks as a Russian immigrant stranded in a US airport, is due for release in June.
Riveting!! ;)

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Whipped said:
How long before a September 11th film comes out with Afleck playing one of the doomed passengers that rushes the cockpit in the plane that crashed in a field?

Not for a while anyway.

There was a 9/11 film made and released a year after - a collaboration from various directors from different countries - too arty for most peeps though.

Hey, maybe they haven't made the movie for 9/11 because they still don't know who did it? (boom-boom)
...(no pun intended)...
:eek:

Future Hollywood Movie said:
"Honey I shrunk the worlds population"
*Me shudders at prospect...*

Anyhoo, according to South Park we can all laugh about it in 22.3 years.

:eek6:

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
I disagree with Scouse, maybe I am being a bit black and white here, but people/groups who deliberately target non combatants are terrorists. People who attack civillians are terrorists, The Stern Gang, were terrorists the IRA are terrorists, Al Quaeda are terrorists, Baader Meinhoff, The Red Brigades, ETA, PLFP,PFLP, etc. Unless you are targetting, military or materiel resources, of a non-democratic government, of the country in which you are a citizen you are a terrorist. IMHO

Later

]AC[dRuM

Fledgling Freddie
Ivan said:
...terrorism is hot right now, as a point of discussion/interest.

..your so right there ;) It seems that the now oh so fashion conscious world has now opted for the 'whole' 70's revival thang.. as terrorism seemed prolific in the 70's.

Totally unrelated to 1972 incident, but would rather see more films based on Tom Clancy's books, they always deliver.

That sounds a great idea....

For fear of splintering this thread to much but.... has anybody ever written any fictional fanzines or spin offs dedicated to the terrorism issues of today?

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Decades : Hot Issues :

60s Vietnam/ Liverpool gang
70s Cold War
80s Afghanistan
90s Globalization/Space Stations
this decade Terrorism

At least thats what came to my mind.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Ivan said: