The madness at Twitter since Elon Musk took control

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Decided to make a thread about all the weird and stupid things Musk has done since taking control of Twitter.

First the banning of journalists which pissed off the EU and UN and now the banning of linking to other social media sites

View: https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1604586506856833024

What the fuck is he doing?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What he's doing is attracting more ire from users than apple and it's closed ecosystem, with it's stupid USB cables and deliberate coding in a way that keeps users locked-in.

Honestly, I think there's simply more noise because he's a rightwing nutjob - and leftie luvvies hate him. But they all buy iphones, write their articles on macs and turn a blind eye to them being made by slaves in china.

I get it, but he's not a slaver. It boggles my mind that people hate him, complain about twitter but don't stop using it.

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
Given the number of engineers that were fired / quit I'm kind of shocked parts of the tech-stack hasn't fallen over yet.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Well he probably still has the same amount of manpower as he forcing what he has left to work 20 hour days. Feels like he is the closest thing we have to a real life Dr Evil. Wonder who his Mini Me would be?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Not forcing. Slavery is Apple's gig.

Musk said "if you don't want to work hard - thank you for your contribution but there's the door".

These are highly skilled tech workers who're in demand - if they don't fancy it there are plenty of jobs they could walk in to.

It's not ideal. But then I pulled a 36 hour shift Wednesday>Thursday last week (to 'augment' the mandated 40 hours) because shit needed to get done.

Musk wants that type of person. So does where I work - they're letting another 6000 go and what type of worker do you think is being shown the door?

Yep, it sucks - but this is a global thing, not just confined to twitter.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Musk said "if you don't want to work hard - thank you for your contribution but there's the door".

These are highly skilled tech workers who're in demand - if they don't fancy it there are plenty of jobs they could walk in to.

It's not ideal. But then I pulled a 36 hour shift Wednesday>Thursday last week (to 'augment' the mandated 40 hours) because shit needed to get done.

Musk wants that type of person. So does where I work - they're letting another 6000 go and what type of worker do you think is being shown the door?

"Hours worked" (which was the basis of the original Twitter cullings) is a terrible metric of performance or organisational need, certainly as a measure on it's own; it's the kind of thing a sociopath would do.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

And you are only going to set a precedent to allow Companies to keep fewer staff on the payroll but work them to the bone. Whatever happened to Work-Life balance?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"Hours worked" (which was the basis of the original Twitter cullings) is a terrible metric of performance or organisational need, certainly as a measure on it's own; it's the kind of thing a sociopath would do.
Absolutely. But sometime shit needs to get done right then and there.

I dislike the presenteeism that Musk demands (especially the in-office stuff) but sometimes the needs of business is all out balls-to-the-wall. And I'm personally OK with that.

In my case, a post mortem will be held (at my behest) as to why some people performed so poorly that it necessitated me spending 36 solid hours online to shepherd their shit.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I think it was "lines of code written", which is an even worse metric of performance.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And you are only going to set a precedent to allow Companies to keep fewer staff on the payroll but work them to the bone. Whatever happened to Work-Life balance?
Gonna take a paid day off in the new year. But what some businesses need is flexibility.

If it didn't work both ways I'd walk.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

I dislike the presenteeism that Musk demands (especially the in-office stuff) but sometimes the needs of business is all out balls-to-the-wall. And I'm personally OK with that.

In my case, a post mortem will be held (at my behest) as to why some people performed so poorly that it necessitated me spending 36 solid hours online to shepherd their shit.
"Sometimes". There's a difference between exceptionally asking everyone to knuckle down and get shit done in an emergency situation and telling everyone that's how it's going to be all the time or fuck off.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber

On a temporary basis, it is fine, but constant? Your workforce is going to fall apart, and your product is going to be shit.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
People seem to think he will put Jared Kushner in charge.
They were seen together in Qatar watching the final yesterday and he ominously said "be careful what you wish for" after his "should I step down" poll...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Also:

I don't understand how this would work. The long and the short of it seems to be to take the thing he bought into bankruptcy within a certain period of time after the purchase which would force a re-evaluation and he might be able to get some money back. Or something. So if he (deliberately) fucks everything up to a large enough degree within a certain period of time, he doesn't have to pay what he agreed to pay?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It'll be a 100% write-off against tax in the states.

I.e. public'll pick up the bill.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
"Sometimes". There's a difference between exceptionally asking everyone to knuckle down and get shit done in an emergency situation and telling everyone that's how it's going to be all the time or fuck off.
It's still an option m8. They can very easily walk - and they're in demand. It won't be as bad as the outraged twatterati are selling it - he's not asking anyone to do stuff they're not agreeing to do.

It's not slavery, tech workers are in demand. People who are there likely want to be there.

Edit: He's still a dick tho.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Decided to make a thread about all the weird and stupid things Musk has done since taking control of Twitter.

First the banning of journalists which pissed off the EU and UN and now the banning of linking to other social media sites

View: https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1604586506856833024

What the fuck is he doing?

Ignoring the amusement of the EU and the UN getting upset now left-leaning journalists were suspended considering how quiet they are when conservative journalists got banned in the old regime - that bit I understood. They were publishing links to his real-time location and had already had some nutters turn up to harass his kid. Considering that info wasn't really publically available (he was in the FAA Privacy program, the equivalent of his plane being ex-directory) that's getting uncomfortably close to doxxing tbh - which is disgusting behaviour whoever is doing it.

Plus, watching Keith Olbermann post a rant about getting banned from Twitter on his dog's Twitter account was too funny.

The other social media network thing looks a bit more dodgy. The origina Twitter Support statement sort of made sense, as it was only focused on accounts which purely existed to promote other social media network accounts, but allegedly the new TOS is ANY link to another SM account, so need clarification.

It's also worth digging through "The Twitter Files" to see just how cosy the relationship between old Twtitter, the Democrat Party and law enforcement in the US was.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
So 57.5% want him to step down as CEO, he said would abide by the result. (poll is now closed). Over to you Elon.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
There's only one man who can step in here:

FkTYDR9UcAAD9ZI

Embattle

FH is my second home
So 57.5% want him to step down as CEO, he said would abide by the result. (poll is now closed). Over to you Elon.

Even if he did I suspect he would still be behind the scenes and under such circumstances who would want the job that would be any good at it.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Even if he did I suspect he would still be behind the scenes and under such circumstances who would want the job that would be any good at it.
He is still the owner, the question is who would want to work for him knowing that he can/will override your decisions at anytime, in other words the new CEO is just a puppet.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
He is still the owner, the question is who would want to work for him knowing that he can/will override your decisions at anytime, in other words the new CEO is just a puppet.
Majority shareholders set targets for all companies. This is normal.

CEOs do the day to day running - so if they're hitting the targets set by the shareholders then there's little to complain about. It depends what the targets are < that's the interesting piece.

I suspect this is win-win for Musk - he'll stop taking as much flack for a bullshit gossip platform, someone else will get very well paid to do the day-to-day (and there'll be no shortage of competent people who'd jump at the opportunity).

And still - Apple produce their products using actual slaves. So remind me please - why are we all talking about fucking twitter? It's fucking SIXTEENTH on the list of social media companies by users. It's barely a blip in the big scheme of things.

What's happening here is that lefties are screaming because Musk is in charge. And they're ideologically driven - so they're conveniently ignoring their Apple Mac and iPad usage and going after a bloke who holds opinions/says stuff they don't like, rather than slavers.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It's also worth digging through "The Twitter Files" to see just how cosy the relationship between old Twtitter, the Democrat Party and law enforcement in the US was.
I did. It was a load of bollox. Of course twitter took down pix of hunters dick from Chinese accounts when asked. It’s against the TOS.

And they also took down CCP bot farms mass posting crap about Uighur when the FBI pointed them out. Also against their TOS.

Total nothingburger pushed by the usual suck up loons.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Majority shareholders set targets for all companies. This is normal.

CEOs do the day to day running - so if they're hitting the targets set by the shareholders then there's little to complain about. It depends what the targets are < that's the interesting piece.

I suspect this is win-win for Musk - he'll stop taking as much flack for a bullshit gossip platform, someone else will get very well paid to do the day-to-day (and there'll be no shortage of competent people who'd jump at the opportunity).

And still - Apple produce their products using actual slaves. So remind me please - why are we all talking about fucking twitter? It's fucking SIXTEENTH on the list of social media companies by users. It's barely a blip in the big scheme of things.

What's happening here is that lefties are screaming because Musk is in charge. And they're ideologically driven - so they're conveniently ignoring their Apple Mac and iPad usage and going after a bloke who holds opinions/says stuff they don't like, rather than slavers.
I stopped using Apple products years and years ago and won't buy them again but remember practically everything anyone buys around the world is made in China so why are you targetting Apple only in your rants?

We are talking about Twitter as this is the first time a billionaire has spent so much money on a company, made radical and stupid mistakes and is directly engaging with the customer base. It is a first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom