Plot-holes in M.R.

R

Rekin

Originally posted by Jonaldo
Who made up all that lot about the films? too much time and more imagination than the Wankovski bros for sure. Some of their connections were almost laughably loose though to try and explain things, the words bottom, barrel and scraping come to mind for some of the links to events there but hey... whatever floats yer boat :) I can't guarantee it's wrong, but I can guarantee it's not right.

Gimme some time and I'll show how Jackass the Movie holds the answers to the universe!

Or you could just admit that you didn't like the film. It would be a lot easier than making yourself look like a prat.

D

doh_boy

One thing, I don't think neo (the one, humanity) caused the machines to 'fall in love' he helped them understand human emotion and thus replicate (or imitate if you will) it. Well thats what I got from the sub-way station talk anyway. It harks back to a question posed (well many times before but in 'Last lfight of the osiris?'* What constitutes life because it shows that the war started primarily because humanity believed that the machines weren't alive and were tools so they could treat them how they wanted. It's close (close enough to be a metaphor) to what people say to condone outragious racist acts (slavery etc).

so when neo asks the guy 'So you can love?' to which he replies 'Love is just a word..etc' which I took to mean that he should make up his own mind. I also felt the some machines envy humans for their ability to emote (or the ease in which they do).

So basically the question is what is the line between imitation and reality. Which is the basic premise of the whole thing no?

*the one with the rebellion and stuff.

S

(Shovel)

Saw it again last night and enjoyed it a little more. Mainly because when you know what is going to happen, you can't be disappointed :)

There's one fundamental niggle for me really. The human connection of the film falls apart. Wij has already posted about 'making it real' and so forth, but it seems to run deeper than that.

The films are about Neo, but I'm not 100% sure that Neo is ever in control of his own life. It feels like it's supposed to be about how his individual strength makes the crucial difference, but in the end, it feels more like he was a pawn of the Oracle, and that even in the end, he didn't know what he was doing. The whole "seeing the machines" was curious, but not anything like as powerful as Neo actually realising what to do would have been. Right at the last, it took the Oracle to put it together for him.
He never seems to actually get it and act on his own. He says that he chooses to fight at the end, but the images and visions that he had didn't get there by themselves... Or maybe they did, and therefore again breaking the humanity of it all.

It was, at least, more entertaining second time around. For some reason the big-robots bit didn't seem to last as long.

J

Jonaldo

Originally posted by Rekin
Or you could just admit that you didn't like the film. It would be a lot easier than making yourself look like a prat.
heh! If you bothered to read the thread you'd have seen I have admitted I don't like the film. Put your handbag away before posting next time please :)

S

Sawtooth

Neo was always a pawn of the oracle. She always made him think he had a choice but really he didnt. Otherwise he wouldnt be the one. Lifes a bitch if destiny is true.

S

Sir Frizz

I'm going to be a shit and *bump* the thread but, haveing (like Shovel) rewatched Revolutions, i can see that like Reloaded, it's superior second time round.

And i can see now, that it's not down to choice, but to purpose (Smith was right, as Neo pointed out), and as Shovel touched on.

Tbh, they're an incredible trilogy. It pushes the boundaries of special effects (except when Smith flies down to Neo when they're in the big hole), and also to me ties up alot of the loose ends.

Iirc, the only plot hole i think is still left is feeding dead bodies, to be used as a power supply, brought up a year ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom