News PlayStation 5 Details revealed

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Consoles are just standardised pcs anyway arnt they. After the sony cell processors they have all been based around pc hardware.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Consoles are just standardised pcs anyway arnt they. After the sony cell processors they have all been based around pc hardware.

Well, Sony had some bold claims about the PS5 - nothing on the PC currently has higher memory bandwidth than the PS5 will have, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Backwards-compatibility? I've heard that before :/

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Well, Sony had some bold claims about the PS5 - nothing on the PC currently has higher memory bandwidth than the PS5 will have, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
But HBM/HBM2 is technology developed for PC replacing the old GPU memory constraints of DDR this is not something Sony or anyone developed for consoles like the PS5, If I remember correctly Samsung/AMD did a lot of the work around this 3d stacking memory solution. Been about year since I saw a tech presentation on it though so maybe its changed focus.

The bottleneck will still be the SSD.

Edit: the reason it's not on PC's now is the pricing. Fabrication plants not yet scaled to produce in large supply and until they do it will be research and high end only. It is coming though.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
On top of HBM, he said "currently"... motherboards supporting PCIe 4.0 will be coming out in Q2 this year and 5.0 isn't far behind.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
But HBM/HBM2 is technology developed for PC replacing the old GPU memory constraints of DDR this is not something Sony or anyone developed for consoles like the PS5, If I remember correctly Samsung/AMD did a lot of the work around this 3d stacking memory solution. Been about year since I saw a tech presentation on it though so maybe its changed focus.

The bottleneck will still be the SSD.

Edit: the reason it's not on PC's now is the pricing. Fabrication plants not yet scaled to produce in large supply and until they do it will be research and high end only. It is coming though.

Not sure about the SSD tbh, they're meant to be making a "Custom" SSD purely to work with the PS5 hardware, I don't think that will be the bottleneck.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not sure about the SSD tbh, they're meant to be making a "Custom" SSD purely to work with the PS5 hardware, I don't think that will be the bottleneck.
Mass storage is always the slowest part of a system. Even if its designed for it. It wont be as fast as the cpu or ram

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
All very 'meh' tbh.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Backwards-compatibility? I've heard that before :/

Well it should be easier since they aren't coming from a custom processor that the PS3 had and just staying on essentially the same architecture, although there is probably more money to be made in not being compatible.

All very 'meh' tbh.

It'll never really be any thing but 'meh' since as we've all got older the leaps don't seem as impressive as they once did.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
It'll never really be any thing but 'meh' since as we've all got older the leaps don't seem as impressive as they once did.
Actually for me it was more about this all feeling a bit like a whole load of nothing in reaction to the Google announcement recently. It just seemed like it was all just designed to shift the conversation back to Sony.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I think the Sony SSD is being really underestimated. That sort of SSD in a console genuinely lets developers have sooooo much free will when it comes to games development. Calling it and you can quote me on this later

My prediction

PS5 will be

A) Cheaper
B) Sell more than the new Xbox
C) Just a better overall console despite being the underdog in various power points

And let me tell you why

A) Lower specs, lower price - just common sense
B) This ties into A)
C) Current gen wasn't decided on power, Xbox One X was drastically more powerful than the PS4 Pro and Sony still steamrolled Xbox

And a bonus point

You can get Xbox Game pass and play all the games on your PC anyway, so why even buy an Xbox? just buy a PC and you can literally play everything on that instead of an Xbox

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
And sony generally have the better exclusives.

with xbox exclusives mostly available on pc too.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not convinced @BloodOmen

Sony appear to be relying upon developers to "optimise for the platform" again. I'm sure that will pay dividends for first party developers but I don't see it doing much for the AAA cross platform ones.

Also, in my mind the current generation was decided when Microsoft focused too much on TV nonsense.

They also tried to DRM the hell out of everything and Sony did this to them (which I still find funny now)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

I think Microsoft have a better shout this time, especially if I can buy titles on Steam that end up working on PC and XBox.

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I don't really care for any of the next gen consoles. They are still going to be expensive. I rather just build a new pc and game on that instead.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Doesn't look like an X-Box controller to me, it looks like a shitty paint job on a PS4 controller

Embattle

FH is my second home
Doesn't look like an X-Box controller to me, it looks like a shitty paint job on a PS4 controller

Does kind of look like a PS controller that failed to completely morph into a xbox controller.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
ps5.jpg

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Saying that I just skipped through the event, some interesting games, the graphics look good (though streamed at 1080p).

I own both a PS4 and Xbox One X, no doubt will end up buying both again. FS.

What I would give for some new Burnout games....

Overdriven

What I would give for some new Burnout games....

That hurts me inside. I still play Paradise once in a while for nostalgia.

I hope it has a horizontal setting. I don't want it next to my TV :|

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That hurts me inside. I still play Paradise once in a while for nostalgia.

I hope it has a horizontal setting. I don't want it next to my TV :|
You can lay it horizontal, already confirmed.

My favourite Burnout was Point of Impact, never laughed so much doing those crashes to earn money. I have Paradise but it is not the same.

Overdriven

OK Boomer ;)

Thank Jesus at it being able to lay flat. Unless they release a white XBSX it'd sit in a cupboard. If both white, both sides of the TV!

Based on Ratchet and Clank I'm probably grabbing the PS5 first. Going to be an expensive year as Baldur's Gate 3 is also coming out so I need a PC refresh too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom