PlanetSide

mank!

Part of the furniture
Anyone here still play it? I was wondering what it's like now, what significant changes there have been and most importantly: what's the lag like? When I started playing it was OK, but it got worse and worse to the point where most evenings would be one giant lagfest making base captures near enough impossible.

sorry, I couldn't see a PS forum so I stuck it here...

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I played it in January, and it was pretty good.

In a dispute with SoE atm, so can't play for now.

It seemed a lot more relaxed than when I played it back when it first was released.

Lag was pretty much non existent, except when my Hall of Residence network played up.

Think quite a few people still play it, maybe they can say what it's like "right now" :)

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
I still play it for the most part , although ive had a long period of not touching the game. Theyve added a decent amount of changes and patches so its a lot more balancd than it once was. But its still got a lot of problems and sometimes doesnt deliver what you expect from te game.
As well as recently (eg past 2 weeks) its seems like the werner/europe server has been a bit laggy recently but hopefully thatll sort itself out.
Dont trust the PS forums though them lot are a bunch of miserable sods who would probably complain about anything that got em slightly miffed.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Furr said:
I still play it for the most part , although ive had a long period of not touching the game. Theyve added a decent amount of changes and patches so its a lot more balancd than it once was. But its still got a lot of problems and sometimes doesnt deliver what you expect from te game.
As well as recently (eg past 2 weeks) its seems like the werner/europe server has been a bit laggy recently but hopefully thatll sort itself out.
Dont trust the PS forums though them lot are a bunch of miserable sods who would probably complain about anything that got em slightly miffed.

Same as any game-forums. You should hear the DAoC whinges on here and ign :)

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Planetside is still going

Myself / DMW / Jup / Sharma / Cyfr, I think thats all you konw from here, and a hole host of other people still play with BS on Werner NC.

The game play is ok (if you havnt played for a while it will be great) however it does need a little content adding. The Laggyness comes and goes, at the moment its ok for me. After watching NC line up last Friday to go on the offensive I would say that the game is certainly not dead yet.

Its odd I thought that once I had reached br20 / cr5 the game would seem pointless but because now I am not chasing either XP ,I get to do some of the other more fun stuff (like fetching modules / tower battles).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I cancelled my subscription (I've got a few days play-time left). Simply because I haven't really felt massively compelled to still play it.

It certainly is still fun - it's just it's not forcing me to go back....

mank!

Part of the furniture
Cheers guys, I've reinstalled it and re-subbed and it's just updating now which is taking bloody ages. What's Core Combat like?

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
Yoni said:
Myself / DMW / Jup / Sharma / Cyfr, I think thats all you konw from here, and a hole host of other people still play with BS on Werner NC.
and me, or not :eek:

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Heh, Core Combat is a lot of fun, me and Cyfr took a trip down there the other day and retireved a pain module and shield module for a nearby base, was fun, Also with Corecombat you get access to a few more wepons and that, the flail in particular which is a lot of fun provided you can aim with it. :)

Cyfr

Banned
I played planetside beta and first month of retail, but I never bothered to play it again until last month. Having teamspeak is certainly a big plus, it makes the game much more entertaining. Most of Barry's Squad will agree that im hooked, ive been on it from 9am - 2am every day in the holidays :p.

Unforutnatly they are patching atm so the game will be down till about 4gmt :(

Corecombat is worth it imo, as its only £15 (at least thats how much it cost me from GAME last week). They added some vehicles and some nice weaponry but the best part of prolly the moduals. You get these from corecombat underground cavers, charge them, come back up to the continents and attempt to put them in a base while the enemy try and stop you or even steal them.

The moduals give lots of different effects, there is a shield modual which puts a shield around the entrances of the base, this stops people firing through em, its very helpfull when defending.
Pain one does damage to the enemy at the generator, its still possible to take it down, its just a lto harder becuase you have to keep going back for heals.
Vehicle one lets you get CC vehicles from the base
Equipment does same but for weapons
Healing slowly heals you in the base
Theres others but I forget :p

All bases linked to the base that has the modual take the effect.

brr.. give PS !

mank!

Part of the furniture
According to the Update History the servers are back up... I'll probably use the name Jynueythek in game so give me a shout if you remember how to spell it :)

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Reeves. I wouldn't mind giving it a whirl again but my own pig headedness stops me from getting the expansion, and I don't like playing games without the expansions so it's not gonna happen. Anyway Savage is more fun and it's out in Europe on the 27th so get that instead.

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Bah you all making me miss good ole Planetside, unfortunately i lost my PS disks :( of course i could get someone to upload it for me, then resub and open a can of whoopass like i used the old days. :twak:

PS: Jup / DMW / Kron - teh crappy sniper, i miss ya guys :worthy:

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Ivan said:
unfortunately i lost my PS disks :(
ha! one up on you.. i still have my planetside disks :D

just sadly enough i cant install it again because disk 1 is buggered :(

mank!

Part of the furniture
You lot don't look after your CD's!

It's not going well so far, spent most of my time walking to battles and getting promptly killed. Whenever I meet an enemy my PC locks up and it's crashed twice and I've had to hard reboot :/

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
If I could be assed to resub ( and could justify it - I'm a poor student atm :( ), I'd join you. I also have this image that the continents are like those deserted scenes from apocolypse films.

I also dislike the addition of an add-on, especially when it was announced so soon after release :/

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Mank which faction and if you want to play with bs (nc most of the time tr on wednesdays) give sir3n(me)/ Dexter / Evilsnipdude / Danzman / Jupitus a tell after about 8pm everyday except Wednesday and you can come play with us. Ill give you the ts details then.

mank!

Part of the furniture
I'm NC too. Although unless I can fix these fucking lock-up problems I don't think I'll bother :/

GekuL

Fledgling Freddie
I've just taken a look at what's changed since I played, looks like the devs are bowing to the whiners a little too often. Think i'll give it a miss.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I found that Planetside got a bit boring after frequent play, which, considering you're paying a fair sum of money each month for it, meant my subs went Zzzzhip! (They're gone. No more. Deceased.)

SilverHood

FH is my second home
mank said:
I'm NC too. Although unless I can fix these fucking lock-up problems I don't think I'll bother :/

mank, try setting your memory performance to 80% in the BIOS. It solved my PS crash troubles.

Cdr

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm afraid I never got past my first free 30 days :(

Although, I do admit this was more to do with the constant CTD I was getting with PS (which could happen from 30 seconds to 10 mins of playtime). This made any squad or outfit action almost impossible, so much so I created a new character and simply went about as Infil / Hacker on my own, stabbing Max's in the back of the head.

I do have all the CDs sat here, collecting dust. I might download the free trial thingy from the PS Website, see what its like now. I very much doubt I'll get beyond the free trial again (even though I suspect my CTDs will have stopped), as Battlefield : Vietnam is out very soon - which is free to play online, and possibly much more fun :D

mank!

Part of the furniture
SilverHood said:
mank, try setting your memory performance to 80% in the BIOS. It solved my PS crash troubles.

I'll go try that now, ta.

Cyfr

Banned
Ivan said:
Bah you all making me miss good ole Planetside, unfortunately i lost my PS disks :( of course i could get someone to upload it for me, then resub and open a can of whoopass like i used the old days. :twak:

PS: Jup / DMW / Kron - teh crappy sniper, i miss ya guys :worthy:

Download the freetrial thing and use your old account? :p

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
Cdr said:
Battlefield : Vietnam is out very soon - which is free to play online, and possibly much more fun :D

Very true. I think that will be the only game i play online or the short term anyway.

mank!

Part of the furniture
Cyfr said:
Download the freetrial thing and use your old account? :p

I think you shot me earlier! I can't see there being many Cyfr's around at least.

I sorted the lag out pretty much, getting a decent 40fps in mad fire fights and a steady ping so I hope it'll hold out. It's a bastard without a decent organised squad though, I need to be told what to do!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
mank said:
It's a bastard without a decent organised squad though, I need to be told what to do!

Hop on over to http://www.barrys-squad.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/index.php and say hi ... a few of us are playing BF praccy tomorrow 8-10 but may well pop on after and invites could be in the offing to help you out while you find your feet again mate :)

Edit: Oh... and get hold of teamspeak 2 and a mic if possible ;)

mank!

Part of the furniture
Rightyo man, rightyo. I've already got TS2 I think and a mic, so I'm sorted on that front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom