[QUESTION] Ping plot help, please

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Hi

GOA Continue to proclaim that my connection is the cause of my FPS loss in Orvr and keeps.

to that end, i have performed some traces, and ping plots.

ImageShack - Image Hosting :: pingplotzt6.png

can somoene please take a look at that and answer the following...

how can hop 15 report 100% loss but the trace continues? Is this the situation where the router is simply configured to ignore these packettypes, but frwards thm on anyway?

from that plot, is my connection to the servers sound?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
15 is probably set to not respond to pings for one reason or another, so it can be perfectly normal and is more then likely one of GOA's servers/routers. but i very much doubt that its connection issues that makes u get low FPS.

as far as i know thats only handled by the grafic card. u sure u dont mean lag?

/edit: and everything else seems fine so part from jump 15 (thats not really a problem either) theres no problems.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
15 is probably set to not respond to pings for one reason or another, so it can be perfectly normal and is more then likely one of GOA's servers/routers. but i very much doubt that its connection issues that makes u get low FPS.

as far as i know thats only handled by the grafic card. u sure u dont mean lag?

/edit: and everything else seems fine so part from jump 15 (thats not really a problem either) theres no problems.

HI, thanks.

And yes, GOA Are blaming my connection for the drop in FPS in orvr and keep take...

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That's fine fella, yes, but it is just a snapshot. You can run pingplotter in the background as you play and it will record a historical analysis during your gametime. Do that and when you suffer some bad game conditions go back and check the plot for signs of packet loss or similar.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
hmm

That's fine fella, yes, but it is just a snapshot. You can run pingplotter in the background as you play and it will record a historical analysis during your gametime. Do that and when you suffer some bad game conditions go back and check the plot for signs of packet loss or similar.

Did one over a longer period of time, and just after i got particularly bad fps in game.

TBH... it looks worrying....

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yes that sure isnt looking good, you have a router or something?

if you do, try playing without it if u can, if that doesent help i'm all out of ideas :)

Urgat

Part of the furniture
yes that sure isnt looking good, you have a router or something?

if you do, try playing without it if u can, if that doesent help i'm all out of ideas :)

Indeed.

Switched to ADSL Modem, and that picture improves drastically.

Never the less, WAR Customer supprt are adamant that my FPS Drops in Orvr are caused by my connection... ???

I have a bt engineer contacting me tonight to check my connection, and i am taking my system to a friends house on saturday to test it on his connection / ISP.

One way or another, that will prove if it is connection related.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
i'm 99% certain its not the connection that lowers your FPS, but the grafic card :)

tho i'm no techie geek so i can be wrong, but its the first time i've heard that connection problems can cause FPS loss...

well, i guess in theory packetloss cause chopped up framerates but its not lowering it. packetloss just makes it chop alot, wich afaik isnt the same thing :)

twix112

Fledgling Freddie
the connection can cause fps loss due to that the connection can't send/recieve all the data and then the game is getting slowed down, more or less a synchronization problem between your computer and the server.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well yeah, but afaik it doesent make the frames per second drop. sure the game studders but the FPS should be about the same.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
well yeah, but afaik it doesent make the frames per second drop. sure the game studders but the FPS should be about the same.

I am using Fraps to measure the FPS i am talking about. So i guess it depends on how it calculates FPS.

I wouldnt be too bothered about all this if it wasnt for the fact that a couple of people i have spoken to now with almost identical systems to me can play the game perfectly.

/sigh

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well u probably have your answer in the router, as switching to an ADSL aparently made it better, so either get it fixed or buy a new one.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
well u probably have your answer in the router, as switching to an ADSL aparently made it better, so either get it fixed or buy a new one.

you misunderstand....

Using the adsl modem reduces the packetloss that pingplot reports.

It has no effect whatsoever on the in game frame rate. IT is still dropping significatnly during heavy rvr and keep takes.

Regardless... BT have done a thourough investigation, and have confirmed that my connection to the servers is 100% sound. They said It is only the final hop that actually matters, and since i get no packet loss from the server, this s not the issue.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
ah, then i can safely say its your grafics card thats the culprit (sorry for late reply btw).

if you havent already i'd turn down everything to lowest settings and try again, if you have and its still as bad, a new card or maybe more RAM if your OS can handle it might help.

Urgat

Part of the furniture
ah, then i can safely say its your grafics card thats the culprit (sorry for late reply btw).

if you havent already i'd turn down everything to lowest settings and try again, if you have and its still as bad, a new card or maybe more RAM if your OS can handle it might help.

I have a xfx 9800gt 512.

turning off effects makes no difference

Other people have reported they can run the game perfectly well in all situations with almost identical hardware as me.

if it wasnt for that fact... i would accept that my machine can not cope. However, it SHOULD be able to, as other peoples machines (ith equal or worse specs) CAN cope.

something somewhere, is going wrong... and ill be buggered if i can pin it down

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Have you tried setting a profile for war.exe in the nvidia control panel and setting texture (i'm at work and cant remember the exact desc of it) to performance?

I read on a number of forums that making a custom profile can help alot.

Edit: One other thing to try. Bring up task manager and set War.exe to real time. Just a idea.

Anyway. Back to trying to work out my own problem. Other characters freeze for a second or 2 and then jump to a new location. Making pvp almost impossibel for me atm:(

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Have you tried setting a profile for war.exe in the nvidia control panel and setting texture (i'm at work and cant remember the exact desc of it) to performance?

I read on a number of forums that making a custom profile can help alot.

Edit: One other thing to try. Bring up task manager and set War.exe to real time. Just a idea.

Anyway. Back to trying to work out my own problem. Other characters freeze for a second or 2 and then jump to a new location. Making pvp almost impossibel for me atm:(

Yeah, tried all the "FIxes" pretty much given up now. Large scale RvR is out for me.

Cheers all.

PS... Your problem sounds like a network issue. Might want to look into your connection.

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
Im having problems along those lines too. I lag like a bitch in scenarios and in oRvR. It gets worse at peak times, BT have checked my line, sent an engineer out (didnt look like a dwarf and didnt have a spanner, I was gutted) he said lines fine, no problems.

Im running Vista 32, intel 2.4 quad core CPU, 4 gig ram, hd4850. Sorry to hijack the thread but I was hoping to get some info as to what I can do to fix it

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Im having problems along those lines too. I lag like a bitch in scenarios and in oRvR. It gets worse at peak times, BT have checked my line, sent an engineer out (didnt look like a dwarf and didnt have a spanner, I was gutted) he said lines fine, no problems.

Im running Vista 32, intel 2.4 quad core CPU, 4 gig ram, hd4850. Sorry to hijack the thread but I was hoping to get some info as to what I can do to fix it

If you mean you have the same problem as me then sorry I havnt fixed it. I've updated all drivers/bios. Overclocked my 2.4 quad to 3. Installed a Nvidia 295. Installed a SSD drive. Checked my net the best I can and all rate it as good. Tweaked settings to improve ping times. The list goes on and stilteh same problem.

Dunno what to do with war now but I'm activly looking for a new game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom