Picture Row

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
What you think about this picture row? seems now most newpapers and outlets of europe are republishing the images in support of the dannish paper and also in protest of the current demands from the muslim countries that the goverments should censor them.

In some ways i agree that maybe people's beliefs should be respected but! that does not mean that we should self censor. If we wish to discuss and depict certain subjects then so be it. That the benefit of living in a democratic system with a freedom of speech, although I don't know what the repurcussions will be. Its going to highlight the distinct difference in out libertarian society with the censorship and repression of speech in the Muslim countries, and also since there were demostratiosn in Turkey I believe this shows that their population "at the moment" is not yet ready to intergrate with the European Union.

What i find unbelievable is that we are "generally" tolerant and penalised if we are not so in the west, yet these other counties and the people who have come to live here are not equally tolerant of the society that we live in, and some will resort to violence against content they find incompatible with "their" beliefs.

here is one of the pics that is causing all the problems

31509v1.jpg

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
We went through hundreds of years of strife in Europe so that we had the right to think and say what we like, particularly about religion (although admittedly our own blasphemy laws took a long time to go). If these images had been published in a country with a different view, fine, but they weren't so fuck 'em; I find slaughtering sheep in the street with shiny swords offensive (Sikhs), I find the idea of public beheadings and women wearing the veil offensive, but its none of my damn business.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
I can see, in the not too distant future, all natural britons being the underdog with absolutely no rights of out own since we have bent over backwards accomodating everyone elses.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
I'll think of a more applicable reply later, but at the moment i'm thinking "don't fucking like my culture, then get the fuck out my country" - but that'll get me arrested for inciting racial hated and a ban on FH :ROLLEYES: .

Rhetorically speaking:

The Life of Brian - ripping the utter piss out of christianity, and a fucking hilarious film (although controversial at the time).

Could you imagine the uproar at The Life of Abdul? Death threats, guns, fatwas, bombings - you name it.

All in the name of God!

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
I find this whole thing so ridiculous as to be almost funny. I can't believe there's all this fuss over some fucking cartoon. Burning flags and making death threats and whatever? What the hell? It's a cartoon! Cartoon!

Also, I love the txt spk in this. It cracks me up every time:
_41283104_kuwait_afp416.jpg

MY OUTRAGE IS SUCH THAT IT CAN ONLY BE EXPRESSED BY USE OF MOBILE PHONE ABBREVIATIONS! >:[

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Louster said:
MY OUTRAGE IS SUCH THAT IT CAN ONLY BE EXPRESSED BY USE OF MOBILE PHONE ABBREVIATIONS! >:[

LMAO :)

Its utterly rediculous, they can all fuck off as far as Im concerned .

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Don't worry Lazurus, The media depicts the UK as though the English will soon be a minority. However thats just media frenzy, still over 90% of the UK is English and less than 10% being made up of "all" the other ethnic minorities, and out of that percentage there ar various different groups, South Asian, Far Easten, Black and other communities, generally they are intergrating well into society. This consits of Hindu's, Sikhs, Buddhists, Muslims and others.

There are just over 1.5million people who class themselves as Muslims, this however puts them as the second largest religion as the closest religion afterwards is Hinduism at just over half a million. As they are the second largest resligion they are also the religion that makes the most noise. Now take into account that the second great migration from eatern europe is taking place who generally are devout Christians. The social fabric will "eventually" merge.

The reason that the Muslims in this country are mostly focused upon is that they also happen to be the the minority that is vocally noisey about issues they deem unfavourable with their way of life. Hindus, Sikhs on the whole are alot quieter and have intergrated well. Some of the most anti muslim people I know are Hindus as it is. They really don't like them.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i find its kinda been blown out of proportion especially with the arab states requesting the danish government to "punish" the newspapers..... do these people have no grasp of western culture at all? o_O

you constantly hear about arabic states complaining about western ideals being forced on them and yet here they are telling the west what they can and cant do :p

its a matter of free speech though, but i do think its a silly set of pictures, (also the idea that they find it offensive to have pictures of their prophet is absurd as there's lots of websites online made by muslims that collects these pictures ;) ) and it was all timed pretty badly...

old.user4556

We'll be getting Al-Jazeera on Sky next.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
throdgrain said:
LMAO :)

Its utterly rediculous, they can all fuck off as far as Im concerned .

And that sentence eliminates the need for me to write a fuckoff big paragraph like I was gonna.

I will add though, that the recent vote in the commons over the religious hate law might have stopped us printing cartoons like this, had it been successful for the government.

old.user4556

Ormorof said:
you constantly hear about arabic states complaining about western ideals being forced on them and yet here they are telling the west what they can and cant do :p

Look at the flip side though, the west are in (some of) their countries telling them what they can and can't do with a military presence.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Big G said:
Look at the flip side though, the west are in (some of) their countries telling them what they can and can't do with a military presence.

If the USA invaded France do you think we'd give a fuck? :D

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Lazarus said:
I can see, in the not too distant future, all natural britons being the underdog with absolutely no rights of our own since we have bent over backwards accomodating everyone elses.

Totally agree with this.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
Calling for foriegners to leave England is feedom of speech. But an Arab calling for westerners to leave the MIddle East is a terrorist!

The 'picture row' shows the tension between East and West, I don't think it's only about the cartoon. Just another step to WWIII.

imo all rightwing whites should live in the west, all rightwing easterners in the east and the rest of us in the middle, where we don't get caught up in primitive race issues.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Furr said:
Some of the most anti muslim people I know are Hindus as it is. They really don't like them.

You don't say! :rolleyes:*

*Apologies for the use of rolleyes - it really is a fucking shit smilie :\

old.user4556

To all,

In your opinion, what is the cause of islamic extremism? Because on TV just there, some <insert-high-profile-muslim-leader> denied that Muhammad was the cause of terrorism.

I though "Islamic Extremism" by it's nature was ... er ... Islam? ... and er ... that's Muhammad isn't it?

Am I missing something... maybe they mean he's not personally responsible.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Tom said:
If the USA invaded France do you think we'd give a fuck? :D

just to add come contrast here: if the USA did indeed invade France you ("you" in general ofc) would be scared as hell. oh yes. or perhaps "concerned" is a more politically correct word. concerned as hell then.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No we wouldn't, because we speak the same language - the bestest language!! Not like you dutchies, you can all burn!

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Ive come to the conclusion that the can go all fuck themselves aswell.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. And anyway its none of their buisiness, Lets face it, the the only reason that most of the WORLD!!! is being at all accomadating to them is that we need their oil. Hopefully with Bush giving the industry its blessing to drastically increase research into oil alternatives we might finnaly be able to rid ourselves of this need to be nice.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Trem said:
Totally agree with this.

in that case, I dont :p

seriously though, It would be something if the Moslems (Muslims) actually acted like Moslems in the first place

Dont drink
Dont smoke
Dont swear
dont eat pig.
.....and so on.

But that doesnt happen (from 1st hand experience - my inlaws are Moslem)

If they want to live as Moslems, then go the whole hog (pardon the pun), but dont pick and choose what they want from each culture.

old.user4556

In an ideal world yes; everyone i've ever met who deem themselves religious (jewish, christian, muslim etc) have all been selective of the "rules" to suit themselves or their situation.

A muslim I worked beside wasn't exactly orthodox, yet he still insisted he was allowed 15 minute prayer times five times a day (i shit you not) - that's 75 minutes out of the working day. To the best of my knowledge, these were pretty much a give. That's 25 hours or 3.5 working days less a month for prayers.

See where i'm going with this "selective" thing? Catholics are equally as bad.

Jesus wept at the hypocrisy.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Jesus is fucking Metal, whereas Muhammad is clearly from the East Side Massive ;)

*Wait's for Jihad to be placed on head*

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Lazarus said:
I can see, in the not too distant future, all natural britons being the underdog with absolutely no rights of out own since we have bent over backwards accomodating everyone elses.

Maybe not ...

Paradroid

Fledgling Freddie
Ormorof said:
i find its kinda been blown out of proportion especially with the arab states requesting the danish government to "punish" the newspapers..... do these people have no grasp of western culture at all? o_O

its a matter of free speech though, but i do think its a silly set of pictures, (also the idea that they find it offensive to have pictures of their prophet is absurd as there's lots of websites online made by muslims that collects these pictures ;) ) and it was all timed pretty badly...

The double-standards & hypocrisy make me puke, what do you think Isreal/USA would do if those "cartoons" depicted classical jewish stereotypes? The "special dept" in the USA (setup to "investigate" anti-semitic actions), and, every Isreali interest group in the world, would jump all over the necks of those who published it (and the artist who created them)... and it would all be sanctioned by the government.

Britons are usually not bothered by people taking the piss of them ... perhaps we should be.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Paradroid said:
The double-standards & hypocrisy make me puke, what do you think Isreal/USA would do if those "cartoons" depicted classical jewish stereotypes? The "special dept" in the USA (setup to "investigate" anti-semitic actions), and, every Isreali interest group in the world, would jump all over the necks of those who published it (and the artist who created them)... and it would all be sanctioned by the government.

Britons are usually not bothered by people taking the piss of them ... perhaps we should be.

Bollocks. It wasn't stereotype, it was satire. The western press routinely depicts cartoons of Isreali excesses (look at Steve Bell). It wasn't a racial stereotype, it was a juxtaposition of islam and explosives; hardly the most sophisticated satire, but satire nonetheless. Israel has never threatened to kill European journalists over an opinion expressed or a satirical piece.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
You can bitch when minorities "integrate"...

Lazarus said:
in that case, I dont :p

seriously though, It would be something if the Moslems (Muslims) actually acted like Moslems in the first place

Dont drink
Dont smoke
Dont swear
dont eat pig.
.....and so on.

But that doesnt happen (from 1st hand experience - my inlaws are Moslem)

...and bitch when they don't.

Furr said:
Ive come to the conclusion that the can go all fuck themselves aswell.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

So which one is it? Or is it just a bitching session where it doesn't matter what the minority does, he's gonna get bitched at anyway!

Big G said:
In your opinion, what is the cause of islamic extremism?

After centuries of exterminating Heathens, Witches and Jews, Europe worked hard to rid itself of prejudice. But it's starting again.

When did 'Islamic Extremism' come into the spotlight?
Since just after the fall of Communism, when the US needed a new enemy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom