Phone unlocking?

Tilda

Just how easy is it?
I'm planning on buying a phone locked to orange PAYG.
I have a virgin sim, how easy is it to unlock it so I can use virgin in it?
Cost? Can it be done over web or does it require some physical presence?

Regards,
Tilda

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
not easy, not many ppl still do it and those that do dont really want to i dont think you can do it to any new phones anyway

Clown

Part of the furniture
You can, and loads of people do it in shops and markets around here.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Go to an independent phone shop, dont let them charge you more than £10 if you can. Around here you can expect to pay anywhere from £5 - £15. It needs a physical presence to do.

It may be worth phoning virgin mobile and telling them the exact model of phone and what network it is on. Virgin sims and Genie sims have a habit of working in phones even though they are locked. They should be able to tell you if it will work or not.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
alot of new phones let you buy a code from your network that when typed into your phone will unlock it...

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
but you'll only qualify to get that code from the network if you've been a PAYG customer for a whole year, or have paid all the contract monies for your first year up-front.

The phones are subsidised by the networks, the money from which they recoup over your first years use. As a result contract customers are asked to repay that entire subsidy before they'll get an official unlock and PAYG customers are simply hung out to dry.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
A number of phones are now possible to unlock OTA (over the air) without physical presence. The best thing you can do is let us know which phone you're getting and we can then point you in the right direction.

Oh, and technically removing the SP lock on a mobile while subsidy is still owed to the network is something said networks can take civil action against you over... so its not something we can advise you in, in any great detail, but if we at least know the phone we can point you in the right direction.

Tilda

Motorola V500 on orange payg (i think)

I asked in a phone shop on the way home how much they charged and they said they couldnt unlock them yet. Then i searched on the net and there were several sites where you could put in you IME(?) and phone make and they would send you a code. Are they a scam or...?

Tilda

Vae

Resident Freddy
I have a Nokia 3510 and unlocked it using a code from the net - Cost me £10 I think.

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Its easy to do man, just take it to your local market. Like already said it £10 - £20.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom