Help Phone Help

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Looking at getting a new phone, here is what I want from it (other than it being a phone).

1. Play music well, with no issues of keeping the imprint of files that no longer exist (e.g. my current Nokia does this - if I delete files without removing them from the audio player list, I can never remove them from the player list - no way am I removing them from the audio list, then deleting - that'd take forever!). Needs to have great sound and good bass response, obviously with a 3.5 jack for connectivity.
2. Good for social netoworking.
3. Is not an iPhone.
4. Have a good quality camera, and take video in HD.
5. Good web browsing.
6. Mapping/sat nav.
7. Good calendar/organiser.

Been looking at various HTC phones but I really struggle to spot the difference in some of them, they're nearly identical. Sensation looks good although I'm not too sure how much better it'll be than other phones, and £35 for 24 months is a fair bit, ideally I'd want £5-10 cheaper than that.

Any ideas, phone nerds?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Ignoring no.3, get an iphone. It is much better than my HTC or my partners S2, both of which are only used because our respective jobs insist.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
How is an iPhone better than a Galaxy S2?

The S2 has the following features an iPhone does not have:
1080p video recording
1.2Ghz Dual Core Processor
its thinner and lighter
MicroSD slot
1GB Ram
8mp camera
2MP front camera
Battery lasts longer
Cheaper than an iPhone

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Really not going to even consider an iPhone, so no suggestions of that please.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
On papaer I agree, the s2 has better hardware, so does the HTC Sensation, but you are making a straight comparison based on hardware when each device uses a different OS - it is comparing apples and oranges. Where the Iphone excels is in software. It uses its processing power and memory more efficiently, has a incredibly smooth interface and much better apps - largely because they are designed for very specific hardware.

The only reason not to get iphone 4 is iphone 5 is probably just around the corner. Since its launch iphone 4 has sold nearly 20 million handsets and with very good reason - it is a better user experience.

The S2 is better than the HTC Sensation however imo - the screen is brighter than the HTC and the battery life is a bit better and I think the touchwiz interface is very nice - not to far from vanilla android really.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Err - cost. He already said he doesn't want an iphone, and based on what he wants to pay he'll get a better deal going for a android phone.

Instead of harping on about apple, open your eyes and realise that is not what everyone wants.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Where the Iphone excels is in software. It uses its processing power and memory more efficiently, has a incredibly smooth interface and much better apps - largely because they are designed for very specific hardware.

The S2 is extremely smooth and the interface is superb! There is no delay or stutter or pause anywhere!

I can't think of a single App that I would need that the Android market cannot supply...

You obviously have not used the S2 very much or your Apple blinkers are on....

On papaer I agree, the s2 has better hardware, so does the HTC Sensation, but you are making a straight comparison based on hardware when each device uses a different OS - it is comparing apples and oranges.

You made the comparison first by saying the iPhone is better. I was proving you wrong!

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Dys posted a review of the S2, it's the newest and shiniest of the phones right now and does seem rather spiffy > https://forums.freddyshouse.com/techie-discussion-3/247495-samsung-galaxy-s2.html#post3756321

It is a nice phone - probably the best android set I have used.

If you are after a lower budget phone, the Orange San Francisco is dirt cheap - just bought my father-in-law one and it is a nice little phone for the price I think we are paying like £12 per month for his contract.

The HTC Wildfire isn't bad either - about double the cost of the San Francisco with a few more bells and whistles, although I have to say coverage wasn't great on the one we had - it was forever loosing signal.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
If sound quality is an issue I would point you towards an Xperia, they have consistently been the best sounding phones on the market in terms of audio reproduction, one of the reasons I keep buying them. My X10 has been fucking superb, I use the music player daily (streaming music to my car stereo over BT), its straightforward to use and sounds better than an iPod. Socail networking is pretty tightly integrated, the camera is top notch, Posh Jane is great at giving me directions and the phone side of it is good too. Battery could be a bit better and the touchscreen is useless if your hands get a bit clammy, but other wise its been great. Gingerbread is due next month too.

I'd look at either the Xperia Arc or the Neo if you want to save some cash. The Neo appears to do 99% of what the Arc does but for half the price, but does without the sexy case.

It also has the benefit of not being made by Samsung....

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Sony make shit products. There, it's been said. Let's all move on.

soze

I am a FH squatter
So, I can get a good student deal on Nexus S. Is it a lot worse than Galaxy S2 or are they rather similar?

I have a Nexus S and it is a really nice phone no lag at all and the screen is stunning. The S2 has higher specs and is the newer phone and the flag ship model though. The Nexus S is close in spec to the original Galaxy S but with a few tweaks to improve performance, and it runs stock Android which means it gets new versions first.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Personally I'd pick up an S2 at the moment. I've had friends who've had trouble with HTC hardware (not all of them but enough for me to notice) and I've never had any issues with a Samsung product.

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
Problem is really that Samsung develop cheap feeling products, I'd suggest going for a HTC Sensation perhaps, or going for the Arc - problem is however the arc isn't dual core where the rest of the handsets that are being released are..

however for your specifications in orginal post you would be able to use anything from the Sony Ericsson X10 ---> Galaxy S II

I have a X10 Mini Pro and a Desire HD currently and both of them are brilliant phones - the mini pro is due to my cat breaking like 3 X10's (my fault really for leaving a pint of water need to each one - and cat knocking it over)

water damage will pretty much ruin most phones tho besides the motorola defy and the jcb tradesman.

The Moto Atrix is very tidy spec wise also fyi

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Definately going to get a Samsung Galaxy S2 when my upgrade is due in a few months. Hopefully the price will have dropped a little. iphones might be good but they are still fucking expensive, £35-£40 a month + £80 for a iphone 4. Overrated phone.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Fuck it, I went for the Sensation in the end.

Even got 50% off line rental for the first three months :cool:

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Ordered my sensation from amazon. Should be here on the 16th of June, damn vodafone exclusivity!

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I won't go over the 750mb, that's loads. Don't even use the 500mb I currently have normally.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Useful thread!

Some scrote has half-inched my Samsung Galaxy S. It's my own fault for putting it down, but that doesn't make the recipient any less of a twat for nicking it! I've had the SIM and the phone blocked (for all the good it will do) and changed all my passwords (Google/Gmail, Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, Ebay and so on) and picked up a new SIM from the Vodafone store.

I'm about 12 months into an 18-month contract so no free upgrade for me. I've stuck my SIM in my battered old Nokia E51 so I'm not completely isolated from the world but I'm not sure I can cope for 6 months with it!

So I've got to decide what to do...I think I've got three options;

1) Do I take the hit and buy a new "premium" handset now (£500 for a Galaxy S2 or a JesusPhone) and then go Sim-Only when my contract expires
2) Do I stick with my E51 until July and get a subsidized upgrade and extend my contract
3) Do I buy a cheaper smartphone (JesusPhone 3GS or a low-end Droid) and use that until January and then get a free phone on a new contract

Then I have the secondary question of whether I want an iPhone (great screen, iTunes, better App Store if not necessarily better apps) or a Droid (possibly better screen, crappy multimedia, godawful App Market).

I await your suggestions :)

Fast

Part of the furniture
Buy an (yes guess what) Orange SF £80 unlock it if ya need. Run it for 6months, sell it to a mate for £50 after 6months and then get the Iphone you've secretly lusted over for some time..

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
How good is your contract Killswitch? Hard to advise you without knowing.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
How good is your contract Killswitch? Hard to advise you without knowing.

I'll go with "good" but not "great". I pay £30 a month and get 600 minutes, 500MB and unlimited texts. Obviously there's a subsidy for my Galaxy S rolled into that as well.

I think they said that to pay off the balance and start a new contract today would cost me around £250.

Hope that helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom