PETITION: Make Language client side, not server side

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
Changing the system would require a big rewrite of servers and clients
so it it the developer (mythic) its job. If goa wanted to do this i highly doubt they would legaly be alowed.

Daoc seems to be writen verry badly with localisation in mind and we are stuck with it.

No mmo will ever store text client side, for a whole bunch of reasons (main beeing flexibilty ans security)
Having more then one lang set on server side is doable and could be done without rewriting the client but would still need big serverside adjustments

Baduska

Fledgling Freddie
sibanac said:
Changing the system would require a big rewrite of servers and clients
so it it the developer (mythic) its job. If goa wanted to do this i highly doubt they would legaly be alowed.

Daoc seems to be writen verry badly with localisation in mind and we are stuck with it.

No mmo will ever store text client side, for a whole bunch of reasons (main beeing flexibilty ans security)
Having more then one lang set on server side is doable and could be done without rewriting the client but would still need big serverside adjustments

i cant see what security problems there could be in text beeing clientside, the user could only achieve seeing something different with hacks, it would not actually gain him anything.

actually would be best if text was client side as it would lessen server load and data traffic by quite a bit. its the most logical conclusion to have text clientside. and the game mechanics server side.

the reasoning by having to download a patch to fix some spelling errors, isn't really a reason, since its small patches and wouldn't need the server to get shut down either thats really a bad argument tbh

Baduska

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Couldn't be done by Goa and probably wouldn't be done by Mythic as it would involve re-writing the whole game.
The central databases are also gigantic and referenced by almost everything, if they were clientside there would be more scope for bugs and more problems due to data corruption.
Also everytime we wanted to change anything, correct typos etc we'd have to apply it as a client patch rather than a mostly invisible read file.
Those are the technical objections I can think of off the top of my head and I'm not a developer. I'm sure that if you put the question to the devs at Mythic they'd give you a dozen more good reasons why it couldn't happen.

sounds like quite a bit of work. but essentially isn't it just a lot of cutting text from the server side database, into a client side database. and then just sending a flag for each different instance. now the client side database would have a switch case system or something, were that flag would then be read by one of the cases, English, French, German.

it sounds like it might be quite a bit of work, but isn't @ a very high lvl of programming its just a lot of data to be moved.

about the read files, that doesn't make a difference at all, just might be able to hide it better as a company and make you look better to the public. but i dont think anyone really cares if they w8 5 sec for a small language typo patcher

Equendil

Fledgling Freddie
Theseus said:
anyways, i dont understand why the french and the german are getting threathed differently then the rest of us. And dont gimme that crap like, it are 2 important languages in europe/world and they dont need to study it.

There was a market for it is why. Seeing as both french and german versions of DAoC have more players than the english ones, it wasn't a bad move from GoA/Mythic either.

What langue is most used by the people on earth: german, french or english? Think about it you daft sod!

GOA is responsible for the servers in central europe, so kind of a moot point what language people speak on other continents.

As far as europe online population goes, and according to the following site, that would be german :

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats4.htm

Germany 44,842,759
United Kingdom 34,765,774
France 22,199,080

Also partly speaking german/french :

Switzerland 4,462,416
Belgium 3,769,123

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Equendil said:

Switzerland 4,462,416
Belgium 3,769,123

+

Austria (german language) : 3,340,000
Luxembourg (french language) : 165,000
Quebec (Canada but they play on french servers as french language is their mother tongue) : 8 millions inhabitants (nearly 80% of people connected to the net (NA culture))

(as a mother tongue).

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Ning said:
+

Austria (german language) : 3,340,000
Luxembourg (french language) : 165,000
Quebec (Canada but they play on french servers as french language is their mother tongue) : 8 millions inhabitants (nearly 80% of people connected to the net (NA culture))

(as a mother tongue).

+ 300,000+ Irish who speak English

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Baduska said:
its about time that the language files were fixed client side instead of server side. there is really no way to abuse the language files, you can make it say funny things on your own computer if you wish hack the language files, but none of these things would affect gameplay.

fix it so you can choose what language your client plays with, and suddenly the entire playerbase of daoc europe can enjoy all the servers to their full extent

probably to keep us out of their servers, so the german and french (especially french) players wont whine about "le non english speakang plajeurs ruing our gaming experiance, we dont want to understand them so we do le QQ"

Cracked

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
Couldn't be done by Goa and probably wouldn't be done by Mythic as it would involve re-writing the whole game.
The central databases are also gigantic and referenced by almost everything, if they were clientside there would be more scope for bugs and more problems due to data corruption.
Also everytime we wanted to change anything, correct typos etc we'd have to apply it as a client patch rather than a mostly invisible read file.
Those are the technical objections I can think of off the top of my head and I'm not a developer. I'm sure that if you put the question to the devs at Mythic they'd give you a dozen more good reasons why it couldn't happen.

Thx alot for a quick answer m8. Sad that it's not doable though.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Baduska said:
seriusly how hard can it be.
Yeah how hard can it be to rewrite half the game. I mean, anyone can just knock out a game in a weekend right? :p

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Equendil said:
As far as europe online population goes, and according to the following site, that would be german :

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats4.htm

Germany 44,842,759
United Kingdom 34,765,774
France 22,199,080

Switzerland 4,462,416
Belgium 3,769,123

hardly the case as you forget the fact that people can speak more than one language. Sure as mother language germany or french is bigger (and only count half or less of belgium as the other half has dutch as mother language). The biggest language in the EU is English and I think that among gamers it is even bigger. So it would be english, unless you only count motherlanguage.
source

However the market for german and french games is big enough, it is however not bigger than english even in europe.

Lejemorder

Fledgling Freddie
Driwen said:
However the market for german and french games is big enough, it is however not bigger than english even in europe.

http://camelot-europe.goa.com/en/home.php

why u think there are 5 germans, 4 french and only 2 english servers? coz the market in europe is biggest in german and france, if the market had been biggest for the population there speak english there would be 3 maybe 4 english servers.

Z^^

Can't get enough of FH
s i g n e d
i g n e d
g n e d
n e d
e d
d

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
Lejemorder said:

why u think there are 5 germans, 4 french and only 2 english servers? coz the market in europe is biggest in german and france, if the market had been biggest for the population there speak english there would be 3 maybe 4 english servers.

uhm maybe because the people who speak english in europe are also on mythics servers and that most people on the german and france are also part of the english speaking market? I wasnt saying that the market was biggest in english speaking countries, I was saying that an english game will have a bigger market than german/french ones as there are more english speaking people in europe. Besides that daoc can be more popular in germany/france than in other countries(which has possibly to do with goa not understanding the UK market).

Axuk

Fledgling Freddie
Lejemorder said:

Don't forget that the game is not advertised and promoted in the UK but it is in the other countries so that could account for greater awareness and therefore more players than in the UK.

Dorin

Fledgling Freddie
/signed

dunno how could a company been so dumb and restrict this game for english speaking ppl to 2 servers (and no iam not british). should have been client sided from the start. Interesting that Diablo/EQ was a big success yet, it was english on all servers / or you could have switched language on your client.

Arbaal

Fledgling Freddie
Morchaoron said:
Morchariel - Froststallion exploiter, keep farmer, lord duoer, impossiblemode mezzer, relic snatcher.

/Sign

Nice Piccies ;p

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Axuk said:
Don't forget that the game is not advertised and promoted in the UK but it is in the other countries so that could account for greater awareness and therefore more players than in the UK.

I've never seen any ads in french magazines. (apart tests but no real ads).

Ormorof

FH is my second home
if all the game was in english with no german/french servers GOA would loose out on a large bunch of their customer base, not because they dont speak english but because they dont want to!

if you speak german but are english you wouldnt go play a game that only had german servers would you? :p

Equendil

Fledgling Freddie
Driwen said:
most people on the german and france are also part of the english speaking market?

That's where I believe you are somewhat wrong, I happen to be french and playing on U.K. server, I won't comment about germans, but it seems to me that the majority of french DAoC players don't speak english all too well if at all and wouldn't be playing DAoC if not for the translated servers. DAoC related material posted on french boards (such as latest patch notes from the Herald) usually ends up translated by a kind soul because half the posters just can't understand any of it and tbh, I want to cry when I hear/read my fellow countrymen attempt to speak/write english. Blame the education or culture or whatever, but apparently, speaking english is not felt as needed by most people (and why should they indeed, french may be not *the* international language, but you can go a long way only speaking french and some broken english).

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
If they could start again then they might be better off having a sentence/fragment database on the client side

Though it's not quite as simple as just having every single sentence as a code - they all need to be parameterised along with what context it's in.

Is it possible? course it is.
Is it easy? no
Is it likely to take a huge amount of development time to implement? yes
Is it likely to make future development of the game more complex? yes
Will the amount of effort (time and money) spent lead to any profits for Mythic? no

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Lejemorder said:

I suspect if GOA had actually spent more than 30 centimes on their advertising budget for DAOC in Britain there might be a lot more UK players.

Does anyone else remember, in the days when TOA was coming out, all the threads here about how many staff at (for example) Game were responding with blank looks when told that people wanted an expansion for DAOC? Even they had never heard of it, half the time...and it was DAOC they hadn't heard of, not TOA.

You're not going to subscribe to a game you don't even know exists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom