PETITION: Make Language client side, not server side

Baduska

Fledgling Freddie
its about time that the language files were fixed client side instead of server side. there is really no way to abuse the language files, you can make it say funny things on your own computer if you wish hack the language files, but none of these things would affect gameplay.

fix it so you can choose what language your client plays with, and suddenly the entire playerbase of daoc europe can enjoy all the servers to their full extent

Ormorof

FH is my second home
well you can always go play on french servers even now :p

just need to learn abit of french! :D

Zorin

Fledgling Freddie
yes that's pretty much what this petition is about

/signed

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
signed, and then we can get us patch same time as them as we CAN read english, not as the retarded french+germans who can't read english and need the shit translated.

DavidH

Part of the furniture
I totally agree. Its pure stupidity to "lock" the servers to just some people. My vote goes to game language on client side too. :clap:

Ormorof

FH is my second home
MaditioN said:
signed, and then we can get us patch same time as them as we CAN read english, not as the retarded french+germans who can't read english and need the shit translated.

lmao :clap:

Sparrow

Fledgling Freddie
Signed, is remaking the DAoC protocol from scratch really too much to ask for?

Archon

Fledgling Freddie
its to hard for GoA this..

They are getting old allrdy ;d

Elendar

One of Freddy's beloved
signed

but don't take our reply key away like they did to french/germans

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
what do you mean?

change the client so it's all in french if you login to a french server? (you have to patch to a different patcher currently which is a bit of a hassle but it's possible)

or do you mean if you login to the french server using an english client you get all the combat messages etc. in english?

Not gonna happen - would require rewriting the entire client/server messaging from the ground up.

I hope your petition is aimed at Mythic as GOA wouldn't be able to do this :)

Theseus

One of Freddy's beloved
If this is a possibility wouldnt they have done it from the start?

Assuming it is, the only reason i can see is that the german and the french have a different mentality then the rest off us towards eachother (but i doubt it).
Another point might be that GOA is a french company. So they translate it just for that.

anyways, i dont understand why the french and the german are getting threathed differently then the rest of us. And dont gimme that crap like, it are 2 important languages in europe/world and they dont need to study it.

I doubt that 90% off the people who play on the english servers use the knowledge they gained in high-school, class English.

Hmmz, on the other hand we get all the movies and stuff in original versions while the french translate everything and afaik the germans to the same thing for most movies.

Guess we arent important enough :(
According to GOA (or Mythic) Europe = UK, FR, and tze Germanz.
I say, English for all !!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Theseus said:
it are 2 important languages in europe/world and they dont need to study it.

hehe thats along the lines of what i would expect the english to say if it didnt get translated and french/germans complained :p

the majority of french/german people speak english, but they might not want to speak english so they play on a french/german server, if you spoke french you wouldnt want to be forced onto a french server just to play a game would you? ;)

funny thing is most french/germans speak english but very few english people speak a 2nd language (because everybody else speaks english anyway! or so im told :p )

Baduska

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
what do you mean?

change the client so it's all in french if you login to a french server? (you have to patch to a different patcher currently which is a bit of a hassle but it's possible)

or do you mean if you login to the french server using an english client you get all the combat messages etc. in english?

Not gonna happen - would require rewriting the entire client/server messaging from the ground up.

I hope your petition is aimed at Mythic as GOA wouldn't be able to do this :)

seriusly how hard can it be.

first of its a goa issue as mythic only did it in one language. then goa has changed language for that stuff.

instead of changing the language there in the code they can give certain msg's then your client has an option english french or german
if option english then you get msg's in english combat messages quest osv.

not that hard to just let the client know this, display quest info 5.10 or something, then if english you get the english quest stuff, if french the french quest stuff. this would also mean less server load as the servers has to send less info increasing perfomance.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
/signed, this is the way it should be but probably too hard for GOA/Mythic to make it. Even if this happen GOA should keep servers in "English, French and German" meaning that people shouldn't speak English on French server's /b and /s for example.

Then again, I had no problems on playing French server - had learnt the game commands before so was able to guess most of the stuff :p Played up to lvl7 and didn't talk with anyone though ;D

Ning

Fledgling Freddie
Blizzard's games work like that (Starcraft and Diablo2). In the same game there are french, german, english, etc players playing with their localized/translated version without problem.

However, this petiton should be sent to Mythic, not GOA because it's Mythic who handle the game code (and who choose where texts are based (servers or clients).

IMO the English are much more "learning a foreign language" retarded than the French+German.

anyways, i dont understand why the french and the german are getting threathed differently then the rest of us. And dont gimme that crap like, it are 2 important languages in europe/world and they dont need to study it.

largest european markets. Welcome to a capitalist world :drink:

Cracked

Fledgling Freddie
Would be very nice for GoA to reply to this thread, it is a very good idé if it's possible. But i suspect thats it not that easy to do since they havent done it already. :p

But atleast reply and tell us why it isnt possible...

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
Ning said:
IMO the English are much more "learning a foreign language" retarded than the French+German.

What langue is most used by the people on earth: german, french or english? Think about it you daft sod!

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
Couldn't be done by Goa and probably wouldn't be done by Mythic as it would involve re-writing the whole game.
The central databases are also gigantic and referenced by almost everything, if they were clientside there would be more scope for bugs and more problems due to data corruption.
Also everytime we wanted to change anything, correct typos etc we'd have to apply it as a client patch rather than a mostly invisible read file.
Those are the technical objections I can think of off the top of my head and I'm not a developer. I'm sure that if you put the question to the devs at Mythic they'd give you a dozen more good reasons why it couldn't happen.

blackshadow

Fledgling Freddie
Signed tho i have no problem playing on a french or german server :p , nerf Belgium having 3 main languages :p (yes we learn french, dutch, german and english at school)... :puke:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom