PC World

Cyfr

Banned
If you can't be bothered to read my whine, scoll down to the text in bold for the actual question :p.

Hmm well. My mum phoned me up today telling me she had a new pc from pc world. Why she didn't ask me before she bought it I don't know, as I could have made a better pc for £400 less :p. First, they neglected to tell her she needed a USB cable for her printer...

They convinced her to get a £200 PC Clinic thing, which was for 3 years and entitled you to free service checks, fixs and things. I told her this was a waste of money (imo anyway) as I can fix any software problems and hardware should be covered by warnty.

We traveled back to PC world to get a refund of the £200 as the guy said she could change her mind within 14 days. It was Spanish Inquisition when we went there, with about 6 different people asking reasons why I didn't want it.
I said I would fix it myself, and they said 'Yes, but you will void the warenty by opening it up'
I replyed 'Yes.. but I won't need to open it up when its under the 12 months warenty, I'll send it to you. After that period it won't matter if I open it up as there will be no warenty to void..'

They tried to say lots of other things which were pritty stupid, but would convince anyone who didn't know what they were on about :p.

Anyway, the pc is an 'emachine' they told me that the power supply is a special one, and only PC World can get hold of it. They also said they would have to fit it (Thus costing something like £100 if the power supply went).
I know its pritty unlikely for the power pack to go as ive had a computer for 7 years and its runing fine :p.. but is what they said true?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Cyfr

PSUs can just go, it has to be said, but whether it has I'm not sure without more detail. I'm not too familiar with eMachines, but I know Dell for a long time (and perhaps still do) used their own proprietary PSU standard (well the PSU was fairly normal, but the motherboard connector was not), thus ensuring you have to go through them if trouble is encountered. As you've said, however, it is repugnant that they insist on fitting it, as replacing a PSU isn't that difficult. I don't know what to suggest, really :(

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Dixons have an offer whereby if they fail to sell you anything you need for your printer (cables especially) then they'll give you the necessary part(s) for free if you return. Whether PCWorld offer the same 'guarantee' I don't know, but it may be worth checking.

Cyfr

Banned
Ops didn't explain properly. My mum got the pc today, theres nothing wrong with it, im just enquiring because of what one of the pc world staff said about the PSU :)

Not really bothered about the printer cable, I just think they are a bit of a crap company for not telling people you need one :).

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Ah, I see :) Glad everything's okay!

With regards to what you've said, of all the components likely to malfunction, I wouldn't really put the PSU at the top (from my humble experience). And good find with that website! hehe. In fairness, I suppose PCWorld are out to make as much money as possible, but there comes a point where they're deliberating bending the facts instead of keeping the customer's best interests at heart (which seems to have happened here :().

Oh well :(

Kind Regards

Cyfr

Banned
While your here Jonty :p. I have a shuttle which connects to the internet via a usb modem. I network with my dad (directly connected so no hub). He shares my internet. Now im not really sure whats going wrong, but when he gos on the internet now, my pc reboots itself.. im thinking its maybe overheating but thought it was strange that it just does it when he trys to load a webpage..

D

Deadmanwalking

Cyfr said:
While your here Jonty :p. I have a shuttle which connects to the internet via a usb modem. I network with my dad (directly connected so no hub). He shares my internet. Now im not really sure whats going wrong, but when he gos on the internet now, my pc reboots itself.. im thinking its maybe overheating but thought it was strange that it just does it when he trys to load a webpage..

Broadband Forum FFS :p

Does it happen EVERY time he loads a webpage?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Cyfr

Sorry, stepped out at the wrong time ;) To be honest, I'm really not sure what's wrong. I doubt it's overheating, as it seems too much of a coincidence it occurs exactly, and only, when your Dad tries to load a webpage. Does your Shuttle cut out immediately? Also, are any error messages displayed before or after the fault? Finally, the modem name/model may be handy.

Sorry I can't be of more use :(

Cyfr

Banned
Ive turned my fan speed to full and it seems to be fixed - i'll come and whine again here with more detail if it starts again :p

Just fyi, its a speedtouch 330 adsl modem. Was happening when my dad loaded a webpage and no error message.

D

Deadmanwalking

Well if your fan is now on full and it's stopped.... overheating and your one unlucky bastard :p

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hello again

Sounds like a really bizarre problem, but I guess DMW hit the nail on the head, just one of those unlucky things :) Still, however odd the solution, I hope it stays fixed.

Murphy's Laws (of Combat Operations) said:
6. If it's stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.

Kind Regards

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
I'd check your ICS settings, if it happens when he first makes a connection from his system or anything of that nature, the crashing could be linked to you enabling the option which allows other users sharing the broadband connection to connect/disconnect it. If it's enabled it can't hurt to turn it off, providing you run an app such as mIRC, MSN, Yahoo etc on the gateway pc which will permanantly poll for a connection to the 'net.

Cyfr

Banned
I do have that enabled, so just disabled it now. It could well be that I was lucky when I tested it this time so hopefully it will be fine now :p

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Glad there may be a 'proper' solution available, hehe :D Be sure to let us all know how you get on.

Good luck :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
The PSU is the most common component to fail in my experience.

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
My PSU is going wrong as we speak, got a TruePower PSU for my games PC but over the last few weeks it has been locking up in the hard drive detection part of the bios, and has to have the power switch held down, the more I have connected the more likely it is to do it, especially if I have a CD in the CDROM drive or one of the case CCR lights connected. I've waited til after christmas to send it back as I would like it replaced ASAP :/

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
PR. said:
My PSU is going wrong as we speak, got a TruePower PSU for my games PC but over the last few weeks it has been locking up in the hard drive detection part of the bios, and has to have the power switch held down, the more I have connected the more likely it is to do it, especially if I have a CD in the CDROM drive or one of the case CCR lights connected. I've waited til after christmas to send it back as I would like it replaced ASAP :/
Sorry to hear you're having trouble, PR. :( Seems I stand corrected about PSUs (told you my experience was limited :)).

Kind Regards

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
xane said:

I agree, in the 8 or so years since I got my first pc the only thing to ever go wrong hardware wise is the PSU, I guess I've been very lucky really, I think I must have gone through 3 PSU's - one I blew up though so that doesn't really count :)

Zephirus

Fledgling Freddie
Good job about returning that warranty/cover. those dixons stores group warranties are the biggest scam in the book. They almost make more money off them than they do off the margins on the stuff they sell.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
xane said:
Yeah, but Xane, most of us use mains electricity... from the amount of PSUs you've seen fail I'm beginning to wonder if you breed those kittens to generate your electricity via some huge arcane treadwheel-dynamo combo... *

heh

*hopefully not true :(

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Good job on getting the warranty refunded btw, kudos to you for standing up to them - it's scary to think that most of PC Worlds technical elite have to undergo training to get to that level, I reckon Bym has picked up ten times as much simply from watching people tinker in the lab :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Xavier said:
I'm beginning to wonder if you breed those kittens to generate your electricity via some huge arcane treadwheel-dynamo combo...
Don't be ridiculous, that's a cruel way to treat kittens.

I chuck them directly into the furnace, they burn very efficiently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom