Advice PC won’t boot

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
The comment section people have said about not having bitlocker and his reply is “this is only for a bitlocker get around, I don’t know what’s wrong otherwise “

Edmond

Just a side note here, the new graphics card I installed is obviously working to some degree as the monitor is plugged into it and that works, but just to say that the card only fill half the slot, it’s shorter than the slot I have it in, is that correct?

Also when I look at the graphics options in the bios, should it show the name of the card somewhere?

In the chipset configuration there is a subsection titled ‘internal graphics’ I assume that means the onboard graphics, should I also see the card details too, or if the card I have is too short for the slot and not working properly?

Ta

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Just a side note here, the new graphics card I installed is obviously working to some degree as the monitor is plugged into it and that works, but just to say that the card only fill half the slot, it’s shorter than the slot I have it in, is that correct?

Also when I look at the graphics options in the bios, should it show the name of the card somewhere?

In the chipset configuration there is a subsection titled ‘internal graphics’ I assume that means the onboard graphics, should I also see the card details too, or if the card I have is too short for the slot and not working properly?

Ta

The graphics card should fill up the whole slot. Do you have another place it would go? Yes you should see it in the bios.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Ta
Can you take a picture of the card and the slot on your board?

Edmond

It’s too short for all of the slots, but it has a gap in it which fitted into the longer slot, so I assumed it was ok. And idea if what card it should be, because if it's still a graphics problem, then the correct length card might still sort it out

Have I got a pci card when I should have a pci express, or am I talking bollocks?

Ta

Last edited:

Syri

FH is my second home
The second would fill the slot, but both are pci-e cards, and if the monitor is plugged in to the GPU, and you have a picture, then it's obviously working. It's most likely not a full speed pci-e board, so it doesn't need all of the pins. You can even put the tiny wifi pci-e cards into a full size slot, if you really want to.
The model of GPU doesn't usually show in the bios, it's generally just referred to as "PCI-E" or something similar, the other option being on-board, or similar. Some motherboards let you give one priority over the other, or just have an option to turn automatically using PCI-E on or off. Again though, if the monitor is plugged in to the GPU, and shows a picture, it's using the GPU, not the on-board.

Edmond

The second would fill the slot, but both are pci-e cards, and if the monitor is plugged in to the GPU, and you have a picture, then it's obviously working. It's most likely not a full speed pci-e board, so it doesn't need all of the pins. You can even put the tiny wifi pci-e cards into a full size slot, if you really want to.
The model of GPU doesn't usually show in the bios, it's generally just referred to as "PCI-E" or something similar, the other option being on-board, or similar. Some motherboards let you give one priority over the other, or just have an option to turn automatically using PCI-E on or off. Again though, if the monitor is plugged in to the GPU, and shows a picture, it's using the GPU, not the on-board.
So it’s not worth getting the larger one then?

Syri

FH is my second home
So it’s not worth getting the larger one then?
Nope. If it's working, which it seems to be, then it's fine. PCI-E is a flexible slot, cards don't have to fill the whole slot if they don't need all of the pins.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Have you tried booting off a livecd/USB. If you can get something like ubuntu to the desktop with no issues and both screens working, then you'll know it is a windows issue.

If you have the same problem on nix & doze then it's definitely hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom