Advice PC won’t boot

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
PC just boots to a weird orange pinstriped background with a cursor in the top left of the screen. How do I boot it in safe mode in win 10?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
No idea, found something on google about it being a driver issue for Windows 8... you're not still using Windows 8 are you?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Windows 10 made it more difficult to get into safe mode from outside Windows but if you interrupt the boot process 3 times it should try to do a startup repair and from there you can go through the menus and find safe mode.

Can you see everything normally up until you get into Windows? If not and you've got another computer you can always try out a Linux Live CD/USB (instructions) just to confirm that it's not anything serious (bollocksed graphics card for example)...

Edmond

Windows 10 made it more difficult to get into safe mode from outside Windows but if you interrupt the boot process 3 times it should try to do a startup repair and from there you can go through the menus and find safe mode.

Can you see everything normally up until you get into Windows? If not and you've got another computer you can always try out a Linux Live CD/USB (instructions) just to confirm that it's not anything serious (bollocksed graphics card for example)...
Yes I get the motherboard load screen with the boot interrupt options but it doesn’t work when I hit F8

I think it might be a graphics card issue, there have been graphic issues over the last few months

Edmond

I need a new PC tbh, maybe its time......

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Yeah F8 and Shift F8 and all the other combinations that nobody ever really knew for sure did anything are much less reliable in Windows 10 because of UEFI and SSDs and things. The best way to get to the startup options menu from outside Windows is to make it fail 3 times in a row. Wait for the Windows logo to show up and then reset the PC a few times and the 4th time it should come up with the startup repair bollocks and you can probably get to the startup menu from there..

Edmond

Don’t even get the windows logo though

Syri

FH is my second home
if the logo isn't showing, could be the boot sector's been corrupted. Windows 10 got rid of the F8 etc shortcuts, because who needs to get to safe mode without booting windows, right? but if it's not getting the logo up, it's not going far enough anyway. Have you got a windows 10 bootable usb or dvd at all? if so, could try booting from that and try to repair from that. First thing I'd try, if you can boot from a recovery device, is to load a command prompt and try "bootrec /fixboot", which should rebuild the boot files, and might get it going again.
Not sure if gpu would cause that, but it's possible. If you're using a dedicated gpu, maybe try removing it if your motherboard has monitor connections. Hook the monitor to that, and see if the onboard graphics kick in. Hope some of this might be some help.

Edmond

if the logo isn't showing, could be the boot sector's been corrupted. Windows 10 got rid of the F8 etc shortcuts, because who needs to get to safe mode without booting windows, right? but if it's not getting the logo up, it's not going far enough anyway. Have you got a windows 10 bootable usb or dvd at all? if so, could try booting from that and try to repair from that. First thing I'd try, if you can boot from a recovery device, is to load a command prompt and try "bootrec /fixboot", which should rebuild the boot files, and might get it going again.
Not sure if gpu would cause that, but it's possible. If you're using a dedicated gpu, maybe try removing it if your motherboard has monitor connections. Hook the monitor to that, and see if the onboard graphics kick in. Hope some of this might be some help.

Thank you, I have the lappy so its not the end of the world. I just need to purge the HDD's to get stuff off them, and I thought if I could at least get it in safe mode then it would be a start. Its had its time tbh so I'm not crying too much over it. I will have a good sit down with it over the weekend

I need to build a new one, I built this one about 8 yrs old ago and its done well, but I wouldn't know where to start from scratch these days as it all seems to have changed a lot (or am I just getting old) :(

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Thank you, I have the lappy so its not the end of the world. I just need to purge the HDD's to get stuff off them, and I thought if I could at least get it in safe mode then it would be a start. Its had its time tbh so I'm not crying too much over it. I will have a good sit down with it over the weekend

I need to build a new one, I built this one about 8 yrs old ago and its done well, but I wouldn't know where to start from scratch these days as it all seems to have changed a lot (or am I just getting old) :(
I just rebuilt mine after a similar length of time. Its all much the same except the m.2 drives now. Which are amazeballs.

Edmond

So it seems the on-board graphics card is fucked, would I be able to plug in a external graphic card and at least get it fired up so I can purge the HDD for my documents and stuff. Also it’s from 2011 when I built it so what are the chances of getting a graphics card that will work with it?

Syri

FH is my second home
2011 isn't that old that it uses a different slot, so it should be pci-express, and should work with any pci-express card. Obviously no point getting a really high end card as it'll just be bottle-necked by the rest of the parts, but a low to mid range card should go fine (cheap if you just want to get it working, but can spend a bit more if you still want it to be useful).
If it still won't boot though, you can still get the data from it by sticking the hdd in another computer, or using a usb caddy to use the drive as an external.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
If its stripes then it is likely the graphics card, can you sub one in? Had two go that way over the years

Edmond

If its stripes then it is likely the graphics card, can you sub one in? Had two go that way over the years
Got a card coming tomorrow, not had chance to get it sorted up till now. It was only £30

I thought I had a card in there but it was using to onboard one, so hopefully it will sort it out

Edmond

Installed new card, obviously the monitor is plugged into it. So it goes through the motherboard screen and the options to go to the bios menu, but then it just goes to the orange pinstripes again. I have a disc with the new card, but I need to be up and running for that to work.

Am I meant to shut down the onboard graphics in the bios set up?

Edmond

It should default.
Bugger, I thought the fact that the monitor was working meant it was running through the card as that is what the monitor is plugged into, so guessed it was.

Looks like it’s fucked then

Edmond

Should but doesn't always. Double check the bios to see if you can disable onboard.
I did, but no joy. Apparently the orange Pinstripe screen is something to do with a bitlocker?

People are saying type your bitlocker password when the orange screen appears?

I’m not aware I have ‘bitlocker’ and fuck knows what the password would be to it if I did

Last edited:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I did, but no joy. Apparently the orange Pinstripe screen is something to do with a bitlocker?

People are saying type your bitlocker password when the orange screen appears?

I’m not aware I have ‘bitlocker’ and fuck knows what the password would be to it if I did
I thought that was only used on enterprise deployments. You have to set it up and run it to encrypt the drive.

Edmond

I thought that was only used on enterprise deployments. You have to set it up and run it to encrypt the drive.
No, not that I’m aware of. The only thing I did recently was subscribe to a new VPN (nord)

Whether that has installed it without me realising? But again, I wouldn’t know what the password is?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
No, not that I’m aware of. The only thing I did recently was subscribe to a new VPN (nord)

Whether that has installed it without me realising? But again, I wouldn’t know what the password is?
No Nord didnt do anything to mine m8.

Edmond

Problem Is that in that video he enters his bitlocker password and then carries on to the start-up screen where he can access his admin commands. I can’t even get past that orange pinstriped screen I have tried every password I can think of and it just goes black for a few seconds and then comes back with a orange screen. I can’t get to my start menu to be able to choose admin options

As far as I’m aware I don’t have bit locker and I wouldn’t know what the password was anyway?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Problem Is that in that video he enters his bitlocker password and then carries on to the start-up screen where he can access his admin commands. I can’t even get past that orange pinstriped screen I have tried every password I can think of and it just goes black for a few seconds and then comes back with a orange screen. I can’t get to my start menu to be able to choose admin options

As far as I’m aware I don’t have bit locker and I wouldn’t know what the password was anyway?
You didnt have one of those pay or we will encrypt you pc type of viruses did you?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
from the vid can you change BIOS to legacy or UEFI and see if that changes anything. The video suggests it would if it is a bitlocker issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom