PC specs

M

madmurdoch

Soz if this is off-topic but I wondered what a respectable PC spec is to play PS?
I have a Athlon 1900, 512MB, Radeon 9700, IBM Deskstar HDD and I seem to spend most of my time waiting while my hard drive thrashes away.

I usually get killed 2 or 3 times before I get any responsiveness and can contribute in any way, shape or form to a battle. It's so bad I've respecced to sniper as I'm not up to fast running about and shooting.

I'm only running 1024x768 btw.

Is this an accepted feature of the game or is there something fundamentally wrong with my setup? I now the cpu's getting a bit long in the tooth but with load all textures set I thought it would thrash one and then I'd be OK but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Any pointers appreciated.

W

Will

You have a better setup than I have to play at the same res. To run with full texture detail, the game looks for 1GB of RAM. 512MB will lead to a bit of swapping. Dropping detail and view distance will help you, as would increasing the amount of RAM.

E

Esoteric

You could have a 1gig processor, a reasonable 64k g-card with 1gig of ram and I put money on that you would run it almost if not at the top end spec.

This Game Eats Ram like I drink Vodka and Coffee.

Im waiting till either I find a job or my b-day to getting another 512 stick.

Having said this the game has come along way from the old days of when you literally couldnt move, now you can, lets hope they iron some more memory bugs out and soon.

M

madmurdoch

ok - cool.

I guessed it might have been a bit of a memory hog..

I set my swap file to a fixed size on a defragged partition (so it was a contiguous block and not resizing at the whim of XP) and that helped alot. I can't believe 512MB RAM is not enough though - that is shocking :-0

M

medowind

EVIL Deathstar HDD!!! And the painful memories it brings

C

Cdr

Have they fixed the Radeon crashing problem yet? (something that has been in there since the betas), I've lost track of the whole PS compatibility issues since my 30days ran out, I may download the 7-day trial tho :)

W

Will

I think that was part of the FPS patch they issued. Couldn't say for sure since I've still running a GF4 myself.

D

Deadmanwalking

Im running a radeon and has been fine for a long time :p

M

madmurdoch

I had some problems with DAOC if I turned anti-aliasing on - my PC would slowly grind to a halt, so mebbe I should try that in Planetside..

duh!!!

Pesky Direct-X.

D

Deadmanwalking

hehe, that won't be DirectX just DaOC

K

kovachs

I have found PS eats resources - I have an XP2600+, Geforce Ti 4800, 600k broadband and have upgrade to 1 gig ram but I still only get 35 fps, and it briefly drops to 10-15 fps fairly frequently.

To be honest, I dont think it PS is interesting enough to justify spending any more money. I suspect it will be gone by christmas

S

Scouse

Originally posted by Cdr
Have they fixed the Radeon crashing problem yet? (something that has been in there since the betas), I've lost track of the whole PS compatibility issues since my 30days ran out, I may download the 7-day trial tho :)

7-day trial??? Kewl - where??!

C

Cdr

Bileplanet I think, I'm sure BW have it on their ftp aswell

D

dunny_dunny

I have an XP2000, 512 ddr ram and a gf4 ti4200 and get a FPS of roughly 50-90. I have only turned view distance down to 50% which seems to make a huge distance. Ofcourse i do get some graphics lag, but it doesn't stop my enjoyment of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread