Organ Donation or State Bodysnatching?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
There there dear, now have a seat I'll get you a warm blanket and an ovaltine. Points of view is on in a moment, you like points of view!

*Beats nath to death with a bag of Werther's Originals*

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
a loath as I am to use this smiley, but :rolleyes: tris-

Tom

I am a FH squatter
wtf is your problem? i dont even know you yet you decide to be a complete **** purely because you dont liek the way i type, if u disagree with somthing i say then come up with a proper counter argument

saying omg u must be 7 u cant spell blah blah blah just makes you look like an ignorant twat tbh

So a good counter-argument (perhaps you meant counter-point) is 'bollox' is it?

Carry on, spackface.

gohan

FH is my second home
So a good counter-argument (perhaps you meant counter-point) is 'bollox' is it?

Carry on, spackface.

is that what your crying about? haha grow up i meant the way it is atm is ridiculas and that you should have some say or your family should ahve some say before they harvest you for organs ect. if i was told if i die my kidney will go to some1 in newcastle rather than my own mother id be like well no, no 1 can have it then

selfish? maybe but i dont care about some1 ive never met

gohan

FH is my second home
good thing other people care then isn't it?

ye how much do you honestly care? been to a strangers funeral? acctaully shed a tear when yet another random gets stabed in a night club? im sure you don't

it's sad for sure but i read it in the paper think, thats a shame, then move on

how is that anydifferent?

unless you're out in london dressed in a cape and making the world a better place you can't really comment cos you clearly don't care all that much either

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Illiterate and callous. I bet the ladies are gagging for a piece of you...

Personally, while I've never shed a tear over someone being "stabed" in a nightclub, I'm rather glad that there are doctors, nurses, and policemen who do care. And quite a few people, (like 30-odd thousand people who ran the marathon yesterday) care enough about their fellow man to put to raise money for them, endure discomfort and generally put themselves out.

There's nothing wrong with putting family first, but it doesn't automatically mean that strangers aren't even worth thinking about. Its called compassion; I doubt you've heard of it, and I'm fucking sure you can't spell it.

gohan

FH is my second home
Illiterate and callous. I bet the ladies are gagging for a piece of you...

Personally, while I've never shed a tear over someone being "stabed" in a nightclub, I'm rather glad that there are doctors, nurses, and policemen who do care. And quite a few people, (like 30-odd thousand people who ran the marathon yesterday) care enough about their fellow man to put to raise money for them, endure discomfort and generally put themselves out.

There's nothing wrong with putting family first, but it doesn't automatically mean that strangers aren't even worth thinking about. Its called compassion; I doubt you've heard of it, and I'm fucking sure you can't spell it.

but what do you personaly do?

my reaction is the same as yours, im just honest
ofc is good that thier the emergency services ect or the world would be chaos, and i would never do anything to put someone else in danger im not callous, just brutally honest, the world is a shit place with some nice things in it, i tend to concentrate on the good and ignore the bad, other wise ill end up bitter an twisted like half of you lot ^^

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
If you join the Donor register, you shouldnt have any say at all, you would get people selling their body parts to the highest bidder.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
I don't understand the controversy here.

This woman was on the organ donor register, thus the hospital did what it does when someone on the register dies, it allocated her organs to people on a basis of need and compatibility.

Often this means people who are actually about to die, as in, in the next few days.

Now I can understand why this woman's mother is upset that her daughters organs were allocated to someone else, all humans are selfish in their desire to survive. However people can survive on dialysis for a long time so in my opinion it is right they were given to someone with more need.

Gohan your position is interesting, if your relative was at deaths door, going to die tomorrow and there was an organ transplant that could save them but the relative of the donor wanted them despite the fact they would live for a few more years without them, you would support the relative of the donor?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Of course he would, this is the internet and nobody is ever wrong.

TdC

ye how much do you honestly care? been to a strangers funeral? acctaully shed a tear when yet another random gets stabed in a night club? im sure you don't
way to go miss my point fella.

unless you're out in london dressed in a cape and making the world a better place you can't really comment cos you clearly don't care all that much either
really? how shit your world must be :(

TdC

I don't understand the controversy here.

This woman was on the organ donor register, thus the hospital did what it does when someone on the register dies, it allocated her organs to people on a basis of need and compatibility.

Often this means people who are actually about to die, as in, in the next few days.

Now I can understand why this woman's mother is upset that her daughters organs were allocated to someone else, all humans are selfish in their desire to survive. However people can survive on dialysis for a long time so in my opinion it is right they were given to someone with more need.

Gohan your position is interesting, if your relative was at deaths door, going to die tomorrow and there was an organ transplant that could save them but the relative of the donor wanted them despite the fact they would live for a few more years without them, you would support the relative of the donor?

what he said tbh.

Dr Medusa

Fledgling Freddie
I dunno, its all very well talking about 'The Donor' like they're a piece of meat, and in a way they are, but there's still something to be said for having a say as to what happens to your own body parts. After all, they're the only things we can really say are truly ours.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
I know what's happening to mine, they're all coming with me into the incinerator. :flame:

I really do think it's a case of family first, so if a donor comes up and there's a member of the donors family on the list it should go to them. It sounds cruel but not as cruel as knowing your daughter's organs are in the body of some stranger while you continue to suffer. If I was in marks and spencer and my anorexic sister needed a quid for a sandwich I wouldn't give my last pound coin to a charity.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
First of all I should mention my dad is a doctor and as such i'm in favour of mandatory organ donation.

I dunno, its all very well talking about 'The Donor' like they're a piece of meat, and in a way they are, but there's still something to be said for having a say as to what happens to your own body parts. After all, they're the only things we can really say are truly ours.

Yes well I was deliberatly distancing the conversation by saying the donor as from a religous point of view, the body is just meat its the soul that matters, which happens to make organ donation an easier prospect!

I know what's happening to mine, they're all coming with me into the incinerator. :flame:

I really do think it's a case of family first, so if a donor comes up and there's a member of the donors family on the list it should go to them. It sounds cruel but not as cruel as knowing your daughter's organs are in the body of some stranger while you continue to suffer. If I was in marks and spencer and my anorexic sister needed a quid for a sandwich I wouldn't give my last pound coin to a charity.

What about if your sister was fat and that quid could save a child's life. Remember in this article the mothers life is not in imminent danger, only mild peril.

00dave

Artist formerly known as Ignus
ah but now you're taking my comparison situation out of context, if my sister was fat she wouldnt need the sandwich at all, which is why I said annorexic because it shows she would need it. Its all made up btw my sister is quite healthy and no you can't.

I work in a hospital now and I couldn't disagree more about the mandatory donation idea. The system isn't fair either, despite how much it claims to be. Was George Best at the top of the transplant list or did money exchange hands?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
First of all I should mention my dad is a doctor and as such i'm in favour of mandatory organ donation.

It's not a slab of meat, its MY slab of meat which if you want to be pedantic is owned by my next of kin

Mandatory donation is a bad joke, if i wanted to donate organs i would go on a donor list...
You can try and disguise it but the fact of the matter is it's using peoples ignorance to get what you want in a underhand manner

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Its not your slab of meat when you die. Dead people don't own things.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Its not your slab of meat when you die. Dead people don't own things.

if you want to be pedantic is owned by my next of kin
:rolleyes:

But more to the point (as you seemed to miss it), its not owned by the government
The government doesn't pay for the burial, it doesnt pay your debts nor does it fund any estates that you own,
all of which is covered by your next of kin

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Unless you're getting things done privately, it's a government funded institution that's lifting out your bits and pieces and putting them in to other people...

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Unless you're getting things done privately, it's a government funded institution that's lifting out your bits and pieces and putting them in to other people...
and who funds the government.... you do realise you pay taxes for someone to do that all your life?
Sorry to burst the bubble but they arent doing you any favours, you have already paid for the service

By your rationale i should be getting free body parts from mrs x if i dont use the NHS much (which i don't as i am privately insured),
i'll have a pair of DD's please

nath

Fledgling Freddie
By your rationale i should be getting free body parts from mrs x if i dont use the NHS much (which i don't as i am privately insured),
i'll have a pair of DD's please

I don't see how you arrive at that conclusion... all I was saying is that if you're expecting a publicly funded institution to do the work, then I think it's not entirely unreasonable that they decide where the organs should be going to. After all, it's not just me paying for the NHS - everyone is, so if you decide to be a donor I can understand them wanting to be in charge of who's the most suitable candidate. This is of course ignoring all the corruption and bribery that must be going on.

That said, I'm sure I'd be pretty pissed off if I wanted organs donated to my family, and they went to some other sap - but I can understand why they need rules to make sure the candidate who needs the organ the most receives it.

Then again, you're allowed to donate a kidney to a family member, or bone marrow, or blood (I assume) while you're still breathing. What's the difference that you're now dead?

Not sure where I stand on this issue :)

edit: I just reread the thread Chronic and I got mixed up. I wasn't suggesting that the government should own our organs because it's in charge of the NHS, I was talking with respect to whether people get to choose who their organs go to. I don't think mandatory organ donation is a good idea at all. It sucks that not more people are donors but that's tough shit quite frankly - more awareness is all they can do to remedy that. Infact when I registered my business I got an organ donor form which I shall be filling out. More of that tbh.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I'm opposed to mandatory organ donation, I guess my reasons would come under "religious reasons" even though I'm not a practicing member of any religion as far as I know.

I find the idea of part of me living on in someone else a little repulsive. I do not oppose donors generally, but I myself would neve want to be one.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
So you'd refuse a blood transfusion then.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
So you'd refuse a blood transfusion then.

Are you being pedantic, or do you honestly not see the difference between GIVING SOMEONE ELSE A PIECE OF YOURSELF AFTER YOU ARE DEAD and receiving blood from someone else?

I thought it was pretty damn obviously implied in my post that the reason I would not want to donate my organs after I die is because once I die I want to be dead, not "mostly dead" with some bits still living.

Blood isnt a 'part' of someone, its akin to fuel or something - if you cut yourself you bleed and your body makes more. To me organs are a 'part' of you - they're normally physicly 'connected' to 'you' your entire life. to lose one you have to have it cut out or whatever, where as blood will just flow out if given the chance.

Surely you have to see what I was implying in my post? I would still feel pretty weird about having a blood transfusion but I dont think I'd refuse one. I've actually donated blood before. It just seems totally unrelated to me.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Are you being pedantic, or do you honestly not see the difference between GIVING SOMEONE ELSE A PIECE OF YOURSELF AFTER YOU ARE DEAD and receiving blood from someone else?

I thought it was pretty damn obviously implied in my post that the reason I would not want to donate my organs after I die is because once I die I want to be dead, not "mostly dead" with some bits still living.

Blood isnt a 'part' of someone, its akin to fuel or something - if you cut yourself you bleed and your body makes more. To me organs are a 'part' of you - they're normally physicly 'connected' to 'you' your entire life. to lose one you have to have it cut out or whatever, where as blood will just flow out if given the chance.

Surely you have to see what I was implying in my post? I would still feel pretty weird about having a blood transfusion but I dont think I'd refuse one. I've actually donated blood before. It just seems totally unrelated to me.

The law says differently.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Sorry, when I said mandatory organ donation, I meant opt-out organ donation.

I.e. rather than having to sign a bit of paper saying your willing to give them up, you have to sign a bit of paper saying you don't want them removing.

In any case, in my opinion if you do opt-out I think that should then automatically make you lowest priority for receiving organs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom