Organ Donation or State Bodysnatching?

rynnor

Rockhound
BBC NEWS | England | Bradford | Mother denied daughter's organs

Its an amazingly bad story for anyone who has either opted to donate or is waiting for a transplant.

The Human Tissue Authority - a nice little quango for the Health ministers friends - have done an amazing amount of harm to the whole area by doggedly sticking to the rules in the face of common sense. They compounded the harm by their defence of strict interpretation of the rules in all later interviews - you cant watch these interviews without thinking what a bunch of jobsworths!

If donation is a voluntary act then surely the donor and their family should have some say - I'm not saying they should be able to specify 'no n***ers' but this woman gave 3 organs of which only one would be needed to save her mothers life (who was also pretty likely to be a good tissue match) and co-incidentally give the grandchild a carer with some kind of life expectancy!!!

People say its an exceptional case but sometimes it takes something like this to highlight problems.

The Government was even beginning to look at new laws to make the presumption that everyone wants to donate unless they state otherwise but I'd say this case has totally destroyed that idea.

The HTA should be dissolved.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Maybe the mother smokes/drinks/whatever and isnt considered a good case for a transplant?

There could be a ton of issues here, ofc nothing like bashing the government :p

rynnor

Rockhound
Maybe the mother smokes/drinks/whatever and isnt considered a good case for a transplant?

There could be a ton of issues here, ofc nothing like bashing the government :p

Smoking/drinking etc isnt a factor since many people who are on the register smoke/drink (indeed most of those awaiting liver donations are alcoholics).

The HTA arent actually the Government since they are an un-elected Quango.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Does seem to be completely bonkers that the one person you could probably guarantee she'd have been a good match for tissue wise isn't given the chance to find out.

EDIT: Having said that, I can see why they do the system they do because otherwise it would be an absolute nightmare trying to draw up a different set of rules.
If the daughter had written a will or done something about donating a kidney while alive then I guess it might have been easier for them to sort it out.

rynnor

Rockhound
If the daughter had written a will or done something about donating a kidney while alive then I guess it might have been easier for them to sort it out.

Actually no - the HTA still get to decide even if you were in the process of live donating and so far every decision they have made has been no.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You don't get to decide to whom your organs go to. Full stop. End of.

There are people who need them more than the mother. Its tough but fair.

gohan

FH is my second home
You don't get to decide to whom your organs go to. Full stop. End of.

There are people who need them more than the mother. Its tough but fair.

bollox

id be like they either go to my mum or no1

im not being funny but i don't really give a fuck about joe bloggs from 300 miles away and his quality of life, id want my organs to go to friends and family ect as a priority, then if no1 was in need good ol joe can have them

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
if theyd just let us grow them on the back of rats we wouldnt have this problem.

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Actually no - the HTA still get to decide even if you were in the process of live donating and so far every decision they have made has been no.

That's a really dumb thing then in that case as, if she'd lived, she would have been able to donate a kidney without the HTA having a say in it at all if I understand the rules right.

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
It is shocking that this happened, however I do understand the actions of the HTA; preventing a culture of eltimism and need. At least the system is fair, on their basis of first on the list, i.e. the one who needs it most, gets it.

Im sure the person who go the organs was very happy, and their opinion should be represented. However it must still be deeply upsetting for the family, especially as it was the daughter's dying wish.

tris-

Bollocks.

I would be, like, they either go to my Mum or no one.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Think of it more as 'intelligence police' than 'grammar police'

Lets face it, my job couldn't be easier.

gohan

FH is my second home
Think of it more as 'intelligence police' than 'grammar police'

Lets face it, my job couldn't be easier.

right cos as we all know shorthand typing on an internet forum is directly linked to interlect

bet my IQ is higher than yours fanjob

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
if u mean am i deliberately not using grammer then yes ofc i am, this is a forum not an english exam

So you're deliberately misspelling every third word, even though its no more effort to spell it correctly? How very...perverse.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Do primary school children take English examinations?

gohan

FH is my second home
Do primary school children take English examinations?

wtf is your problem? i dont even know you yet you decide to be a complete **** purely because you dont liek the way i type, if u disagree with somthing i say then come up with a proper counter argument

saying omg u must be 7 u cant spell blah blah blah just makes you look like an ignorant twat tbh

tris-

handbags-2dots-stripes-buckle.jpg

@
dawn.jpg

Chronictank

FH is my second home
bollox

id be like they either go to my mum or no1

im not being funny but i don't really give a fuck about joe bloggs from 300 miles away and his quality of life, id want my organs to go to friends and family ect as a priority, then if no1 was in need good ol joe can have them

so you are saying people should be able to discriminate who their organs go to?
maybe say i dont want my organs going to a white/black/asian/muslim/christain/athiest....

futhermore allowing people to choose also is likely to result in selling organs behind the scenes, need a new liver? pay someone to set you as their donation

Its a bad precedence to set tbh

gohan

FH is my second home
so you are saying people should be able to discriminate who their organs go to?
maybe say i dont want my organs going to a white/black/asian/muslim/christain/athiest....

futhermore allowing people to choose also is likely to result in selling organs behind the scenes, need a new liver? pay someone to set you as their donation

Its a bad precedence to set tbh

well thier needs to be bounderies, but family should get priority

DaGaffer

well thier needs to be bounderies, but family should get priority

Oh ffs! It's THERE. It's BOUNDARIES. There's a spell checker built-in to Firefox. Please fucking use it. Your monkey-gibberish is making my eyes bleed! And if you claim dyslexia I'm calling shenanigans!

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Oh ffs! It's THERE. It's BOUNDARIES. There's a spell checker built-in to Firefox. Please fucking use it. Your monkey-gibberish is making my eyes bleed! And if you claim dyslexia I'm calling shenanigans!
Come on now gaff - granted his spelling is pretty atrocious but so what? You can understand what he's saying so what does it matter?

gohan

FH is my second home

i claim care face ^_^

did you see him?

DaGaffer

Come on now gaff - granted his spelling is pretty atrocious but so what? You can understand what he's saying so what does it matter?

Being on a forum is no excuse for laziness. Especially when Firefox will do the job for you. Young people today, declining standards, bring back National Service, grumble grumble. Bah.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Being on a forum is no excuse for laziness. Especially when Firefox will do the job for you. Young people today, declining standards, bring back National Service, grumble grumble. Bah.
There there dear, now have a seat I'll get you a warm blanket and an ovaltine. Points of view is on in a moment, you like points of view!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom