OK, this whole 'selling drops for cash' thing has got way out of hand

S

svartmetall

This minor rant was sparked off by the 2,485th. "WTS..." post on our /as last night.

First time I ever saw someone ask for cash was ages ago, when I was lvling my main at H...saw someone say "selling [can't remember what item was], 200G" and I remember thinking jesus, that's lame, making people PAY for a mob drop...? Now, we have a situation where people lotto for drops they can't use solely so they can sell them for huge sums of cash - just look on the Midgard Trading forum, people STARTING bididng at 4 or 5 plat - TG drops being the most egregious example of this kind of thing.

Drops are FREE. If you get, say, a hammer you can't use, fucking GIVE it to someone else who can! Don't turn round to another player and go "oh, well, I rolled higher than you in a lotto even though I can never use this hammer but you can have it if you give me 4,000 Gold" or some bullshit like that.

I say again, drops are FREE. Your Epic armour? It's meant for YOU. And you got a shitload of XP for getting it. That TG drop? Didn't pay any money to the fucking mob for it, now, did you (Councilor Nokkvi drops a Bloody Nice Sword, and says "That'll be 5,000 Gold please"!)? And in fact that mob gave you a whole heap of XP for it as as well. So, actually, it wouldn't hurt you to just give that staff/hauberk/gem/whatever to someone who can use it, because it would make their night. XPing at Lair? Got a nice bracer or something you can't use/don't need? Well that's just a bonus, you're there for the XP, so give it to someone, don't demand 100G or whatever.

I NEVER charge money for drops, IMO it's exploitative rip-off bullshit; if I get something I can't use, I just give it to someone rather than going "I have that thing you wanted, if you spend days and days farming you can have it" because that's just greed, plain and simple. The furthest I will go is to trade drops; I have a TG pair of Bonedancer gloves and TG bracer that I'd like to swap for a TG axe, but I refuse to pay extortionate rip-off prices (and yes, I can afford 5 plat for a TG axe, but I refuse to pay on general principle - so don't give me any shit about 'oh he's just bitter because he doesn't have any money') and I certainly refuse to charge them. I prefer to view other players as my Realm mates/allies/whatever, rather than a market to be fleeced for as much cash as possible.

I like to farm Ornulf in Dellingstad for those ROG cloak drops, they can be uber, and when I get ones I can't use, I just give them to ppl who can use them. It's a nice feeling to make someone's night...I think back to how I felt at lvl 4 when someone just randomly came up to me and gave me some bits of kit because he was feeling nice. Case in point - I've been lvling my Savage, and two nights ago did a quest and got a claw as reward (I'd thought I'd get a choice of rewards and was kind of hoping for a belt choice); didn't really need it, so gave it to a Savage I walked past in Aegir, made their night.

I guess it's all down to what kind of Realm we want to play in. A co-operative community, or a greed-crazed marketplace where everything has price, including fun...I vote for the former.

H

Haldar

to each his own

i feel nothing wrong with a current bazaar system.

J

jox

Originally posted by svartmetall
This minor rant was sparked off by the 2,485th. "WTS..." post on our /as last night.

First time I ever saw someone ask for cash was ages ago, when I was lvling my main at H...saw someone say "selling [can't remember what item was], 200G" and I remember thinking jesus, that's lame, making people PAY for a mob drop...? Now, we have a situation where people lotto for drops they can't use solely so they can sell them for huge sums of cash - just look on the Midgard Trading forum, people STARTING bididng at 4 or 5 plat - TG drops being the most egregious example of this kind of thing.

Drops are FREE. If you get, say, a hammer you can't use, fucking GIVE it to someone else who can! Don't turn round to another player and go "oh, well, I rolled higher than you in a lotto even though I can never use this hammer but you can have it if you give me 4,000 Gold" or some bullshit like that.

I say again, drops are FREE. Your Epic armour? It's meant for YOU. And you got a shitload of XP for getting it. That TG drop? Didn't pay any money to the fucking mob for it, now, did you (Councilor Nokkvi drops a Bloody Nice Sword, and says "That'll be 5,000 Gold please"!)? And in fact that mob gave you a whole heap of XP for it as as well. So, actually, it wouldn't hurt you to just give that staff/hauberk/gem/whatever to someone who can use it, because it would make their night. XPing at Lair? Got a nice bracer or something you can't use/don't need? Well that's just a bonus, you're there for the XP, so give it to someone, don't demand 100G or whatever.

I NEVER charge money for drops, IMO it's exploitative rip-off bullshit; if I get something I can't use, I just give it to someone rather than going "I have that thing you wanted, if you spend days and days farming you can have it" because that's just greed, plain and simple. The furthest I will go is to trade drops; I have a TG pair of Bonedancer gloves and TG bracer that I'd like to swap for a TG axe, but I refuse to pay extortionate rip-off prices (and yes, I can afford 5 plat for a TG axe, but I refuse to pay on general principle - so don't give me any shit about 'oh he's just bitter because he doesn't have any money') and I certainly refuse to charge them. I prefer to view other players as my Realm mates/allies/whatever, rather than a market to be fleeced for as much cash as possible.

I like to farm Ornulf in Dellingstad for those ROG cloak drops, they can be uber, and when I get ones I can't use, I just give them to ppl who can use them. It's a nice feeling to make someone's night...I think back to how I felt at lvl 4 when someone just randomly came up to me and gave me some bits of kit because he was feeling nice. Case in point - I've been lvling my Savage, and two nights ago did a quest and got a claw as reward (I'd thought I'd get a choice of rewards and was kind of hoping for a belt choice); didn't really need it, so gave it to a Savage I walked past in Aegir, made their night.

I guess it's all down to what kind of Realm we want to play in. A co-operative community, or a greed-crazed marketplace where everything has price, including fun...I vote for the former.

Capitalism > Communism

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by Hroft[BC]
to each his own

I feel nothing wrong with a current bazaar system.

So you think it's OK for someone to lotto for a drop they have no intention of using, just so they can charge huge sums of money for it to another player?

S

svartmetall

Re: Re: OK, this whole 'selling drops for cash' thing has got way out of hand

Originally posted by jox
Capitalism > Communism

What does anything I said have to do with Communism?

K

kathal_tdd

lol.
And Crafters charge too much. 5g earnings on a MP torso are more than enough.
FREE items?? Sure if we are really good friends ingame:D
Otherwise, I’m not farming for you. The economy is a part of the game. Drops, crafting, Houses(soon) and so on.
Live with it.:rolleyes:
Ppl have different goals/reasons to play this game. Elite, Social, fun and many more. Some put a lot of work into achieving their goals. Hell if a players goal is to farm/sell/salvage items/gold to reach 200 plat or something, well then let him.
I want a nice house for my guild and if I’m going to sell a TG drop in the process I’m going to do precise that.

EDIT:
Afaik the alliances sell drops/stones to gain gold. 99%(rest to Rams etc.) of that gold goes to door repairs.
Is THAT ok???

D

deadkid

It's up to poeple what they want to do with drops... sure if it's a common drop u dont need, why not give it away to lowbies.. but if it's a competitive TG drop that and the amount of them can be counted using fingers of one hand, the price should be there... u dont like it, dont buy.. no one force u to do so.
I hope irl when u buy Versace jeans, u immediately take off your Cartini jeans and make someone's day =D (btw someone could get u wrong and bash you face for that :p)

anyway, u cant forbid selling of items... think about crafters... why dont they give away crafted items, yeees coz the spent time to lvl skill and an amount of money... now think about TG raid and time and part of luck in all that crap... good luck =)

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by deadkid
think about crafters...why don't they give away crafted items?
Because they spent time to make it, and (especially) money on materials from which to make it.
A player-crafted item is entirely different from a mob drop.

S

svartmetall

btw make my day. givf me tg healer vest :D
Well if I was on TG raid I wouldn't roll for it, because I couldn't use it...but if I (somehow) had one, I would. Why not? No use to me and it'd make your day.

F

fl3a

thats capitalism.

thou i agree, the TG drop prices are like 3x what they should be ... i know quite a few hibs who have looked at mid/exc auctions and thought wtf why so high prices

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by kathal_tdd
lol.
And Crafters charge too much. 5g earnings on a MP torso are more than enough.
Player-crafted items are entirely different form mob drops.

I’m not farming for you
If you go on a raid and the item you wanted to get doesn't drop, tough, that's how raids are. Don't use that as an excuse to fleece another player just because what they wanted DID drop.
No-one's asking you to farm for them. They went on the raid just like you, what they wanted dropped, what you wanted didn't...that's the thing that people should "live with". Them's the breaks.

The economy is a part of the game. Drops, crafting, Houses(soon) and so on.
Live with it.:rolleyes:
So you'd have no problem with a healer charging you 100G for a rezz if he happened by your body, then? Because that's the next logical step from there.

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by fl3a
I know quite a few hibs who have looked at mid/exc auctions and thought wtf why so high prices
Because greed currently runs rampant on our server...?

K

kathal_tdd

Ok, you want to have elite items for free???
LOL, that’s a load of BS.
If you wanna be elite then go farm, join some hunts.
Otherwise put on your Epic equipment and stfu.
:rolleyes:

S

svartmetall

Ok, you want to have elite items for free???
LOL, that’s a load of BS.
If you wanna be elite then go farm, join some hunts.
Otherwise put on your Epic equipment and stfu.
:rolleyes:
Helpful and friendly attitude, thanks for sharing. And if you'd actually read my original post, you'd see that's not what I'm saying...it wasn't about ME getting stuff at all. Some players don't see this game from a 100% "ME ME ME" point of view...

W

Weeping Willow

I love spending my time selling, trading and buying stuff, its just another thing to do in a game.

And remember: a item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, not more, not less.

D

deadkid

sorry mate i disagree..
for example for making MP vest i spend about a day of playtime and crap loads of cash(it goes back while u making stuff so np with that) so it's generally 6-8 hours... last TG raid i was on, lasted for 6.5 hours... what's the difference? same blood and sweat on those items(+tg raids are such a random luck thing, u can stay without anything and whole day wasted) so let those poeple find it for u and post it on BW u just worry about cash ;)

C

chosen

hmm, u roll for a "thing" u can use(that's what i do) sometimes you get a new "thing" and ofc u don't wanne let the old "thing" lay in the vault so u sell it get cash and can buy another good item...

S

svartmetall

Re: Re: OK, this whole 'selling drops for cash' thing has got way out of hand

Originally posted by chosen
hmm, u roll for a "thing" u can use (that's what i do) sometimes you get a new "thing" and ofc u don't wanne let the old "thing" lay in the vault so u sell it get cash and can buy another good item...
No, I give it away. Again, why wouldn't I?

S

svartmetall

sorry mate i disagree..
for example for making MP vest i spend about a day of playtime and crap loads of cash(it goes back while u making stuff so np with that) so it's generally 6-8 hours... last TG raid i was on, lasted for 6.5 hours... what's the difference? same blood and sweat on those items(+tg raids are such a random luck thing, u can stay without anything and whole day wasted) so let those poeple find it for u and post it on BW u just worry about cash ;)
Well...to me, the difference is, you make the item knowing what you're making, and it's an order, so from the start it's being made to be sold. It's not like you'll get an order for a chain hauberk, then make a cloth helm, and say "argh, wrong thing came out of the Craft-O-Matic, but give me 5P for it and sell it for 6P to a cloth wearer"...
Whereas you may go on a TG raid wanting, say, Agmundr's Foe Slayer, but there's no guarantee it will drop. Guess it depends if you view raids as a fun thing to do or a shopping trip...but there's no certainty of what will drop on a raid. Like I said in a previous post, if the item you had your heart set on doesn't drop...them's the breaks. I've been on TG raids where nothing that dropped was any use to me, so I didn't lotto at all.

K

kathal_tdd

So you'd have no problem with a healer charging you 100G for a rezz if he happened by your body, then? Because that's the next logical step from there.
Nope, they get RP and I dont mind the trip back to Emain, Odins or where ever Im going after /rel.

S

svartmetall

Nope, they get RP and I dont mind the trip back to Emain, Odins or where ever Im going after /rel.
Not quite sure what you're saying here. Either you're happy paying them 100G for the rez or you're releasing.

Z

zaberhut

Time is money, TG raid usually = 3hours or so, nuff said imo

Altough i can agree with the prices they are way to high...wonder if that has something to do with the fact that they are kinda rare ?!?!

Organize more TG raids and the prices will drop eventually.

W

Weeping Willow

We once payed 1p for a rezz on our healer when we were wiped at Yar.

K

kathal_tdd

Not quite sure what you're saying here. Either you're happy paying them 100G for the rez or you're releasing.
What I’m saying is that I would NOT pay 100g to get a rezz. I don’t see the trip back to where I died as a big problem. But that’s a whole new discussion.
Like said before, if ppl are willing to pay there will be ppl that sell. It’s as simple as that.
Nobody is forcing you to buy so I don’t understand why you are posting here:rolleyes:

Edit:
Dammit, this is a GAME, not a job!
You don't get it do you. The economy in the game that is.
Crafting is a job ingame. Gold farming is a job ingame. Item farming is a job ingame.
All "jobs" to reach your goal, to become better than the majority in the other realms. To have the edge that will win fights out there on the battlefields.

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by aginamist
We once payed 1p for a rezz on our healer when we were wiped at Yar.
Whoever charged that was a fucking asshole, then. And I can't believe you paid, rather than telling the money-grubbing little shit to go fuck himself. I would have released then named and shamed the bastard everywhere I could.

W

Weeping Willow

I could have posted on BW that he didn't want to rezz yada yada and so on, but in the end we would have lost from it. running back from galplen to yar takes a lot of time and we make more than 1p from powerlevling in that time.

S

svartmetall

Nobody is forcing you to buy so I don’t understand why you are posting here:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Svartmetall
So you think it's OK for someone to lotto for a drop they have no intention of using, just so they can charge huge sums of money for it to another player?

...that's why I'm posting.

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by aginamist
I could have posted on BW that he didn't want to rezz yada yada and so on, but in the end we would have lost from it. running back from galplen to yar takes a lot of time and we make more than 1p from powerlevling in that time.
...! Make 1P from powerlevelling? You were charging money to powerlevel people?

Users who are viewing this thread