oh ye weather gods

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I remember when at school and it was snowing we could not wait to get outside at breaktime, now I understand that they keep the kids in for H&S reasons? WTF!

"Health & Safety" = "I'd rather stay in the staffroom and have a cup of tea thanks".

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Ireland really doesn't deal well with properly cold weather; everyone on the road has turned into a doddery old pensioner. They're also talking about closing schools; ffs put a coat on you twats. I used to go out in my shirtsleeves in colder than this when I was a lad.

We hiked 15 miles with no shoes to get to school.

Don't know why twats can't just send their kids to the local school, that kids could walk to.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
As a new driver (about 2 months), found out the hard way this morning that you shouldn't roll down the windows to clear them of snow...

Last edited:

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
As a new driver (about 2 months), found the hard way this morning that you shouldn't roll down the windows to clear them of snow...
You should also wipe the snow away from the door outline and roof to stop it falling into the car when opening the door.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
...and off your bonnet, if you drive it will just get blown up the window. And off your roof, that will just get blown into the car behind.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
We hiked 15 miles with no shoes to get to school.

Don't know why twats can't just send their kids to the local school, that kids could walk to.

My kids do go to the local school, that they walk to. It's still talking about closing if the weather status changes.

And my "shirtsleeves in sub-zero" years were my early drinking years; northern lads are like northern girls, minimum clothes on a night out whatever the weather. Who wants to look after their coat all night?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
My kids do go to the local school, that they walk to. It's still talking about closing if the weather status changes.

And my "shirtsleeves in sub-zero" years were my early drinking years; northern lads are like northern girls, minimum clothes on a night out whatever the weather. Who wants to look after their coat all night?

The beer coat, we all had one. We had to share ours!

Edit, also @Deebs quoting seems a bit odd, can't quote small bits of a post. Edit, nm, yes you can, just highlight and delete the text.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Yeh Scottish girls, I remember when working at Direct Line and I would be in Glasgow on a night out clubbing when the temps were like -5C and the girls were in skimpy tops and short miniskirts and fuckall else, I stood there shivering, they just carried on chatting like it was 21C.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

On a work call at the moment, bloke said his kids school is closed in Stratford because of about 4 inches of snow... madness

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's 9 degrees in my office right now. There's ice on the inside of the windows in the kitchen.

We really need to get permission off the national park to start our renovations :(

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's 9 degrees in my office right now. There's ice on the inside of the windows in the kitchen.

We really need to get permission off the national park to start our renovations :(
Fucking what?? Is that not harmful to your health and the council/national park have to do something from a legal point of view?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I think there may be several reasons why schools close. The first is that the staff rely on driving to get there, and can no longer do so. They rely on driving because there's no alternative provision, which is a failure of transport planning. The children suffer from the same problem, because their parents now can't drive them to school. And finally, the school has no money because council budgets have been cut to the bone, so they don't want to turn the heating on, the heating is used less often because of fuel prices, so it breaks down more easily.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I think there may be several reasons why schools close. The first is that the staff rely on driving to get there, and can no longer do so. They rely on driving because there's no alternative provision, which is a failure of transport planning. The children suffer from the same problem, because their parents now can't drive them to school. And finally, the school has no money because council budgets have been cut to the bone, so they don't want to turn the heating on, the heating is used less often because of fuel prices, so it breaks down more easily.

The transport issue shouldn't be the case in what is more or less central London. Well, you'd hope so anyway...

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Most of the kids in my village go to schools elsewhere, most of the kids that go to the village school come from elsewhere. It's stupid, and it needs to stop.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Fucking what?? Is that not harmful to your health and the council/national park have to do something from a legal point of view?
Might be harmful to my health but it took a long time to get a "no" on some stuff from the planners, which means we've had to start the process on some other stuff (extension out back). No point in doing a load of work to the house only to have to start again and redo it.

If I don't get resolution in a few months I'm just going to book some builders and get work started and not ask for permission - then it's up to them to find out what I've done, come round and sue me if they don't like it.

We've invested heavily in blankets, and for the first time since I was 12 I'm now wearing underwear. (I can recommend Howies merino schlong-johns as pretty amazing) - and basically I sit in my "about to go up Snowdon in arctic conditions" wear - with a shirt on top to pretend I'm dressed professionally.

One thing all this has ruined me for though is staying at other people's houses or hotels. If a room is heated to 20 degrees we both literally melt because it's unpleasantly warm. Stopped in a BnB this weekend for a night and had to sleep with the window wide open. :)

Embattle

FH is my second home
On a sadder note it seems 3 of those 4 children who fell through the frozen lake have died:

Dunno if they give warnings out to kids about frozen lakes, I remember being told about them when I was younger....I think.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
On a sadder note it seems 3 of those 4 children who fell through the frozen lake have died:

Dunno if they give warnings out to kids about frozen lakes, I remember being told about them when I was younger....I think.
It's really sad, kids will be kids unfortunately. We had a kid die in the river by our house this summer despite loads of signs saying not to dive. Same the year before as well. You know what it's like being young though, you almost see it as a challenge.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It sounds cynical but they use these events as examples to young kids. I bet schools pick up on this sort of stuff don't they @Gwadien?

We had a kid die in the river by our house this summer despite loads of signs saying not to dive.
Yep. It's a bit different to the "don't walk on the ice" eminently sensible information tho eh?

There's always signs saying "don't swim here", and even as an adult I've often ignored them and had a great time swimming in rivers. My o/h grew up next to a river and there was a place next to a weir where they'd launch kayaks, dive in, rope swings, etc. etc.

One year a kid drowned, so the council put up "no swimming" signs. Some people just die, and a lot of the time it's kids, unfortunately. But it's not masses of them, and part of being human and growing up is jumping in rivers and having a laugh. It's more about finding a balance.

Embattle

FH is my second home
My dad wondered about a sign, I said if there had ever been a sign I suspect like most it has probably been thrown in to the lake, covered in graffiti, etc. but again as stated they just get ignored. Doesn't matter what people got told or what signs were put up near where I used to live in Teddington, youngsters still dived of the bridge over the Thames right near the Lock and Weir.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I walked on ice when I was a kid, although I was careful to stay near the edges where I knew it was safe. Last time I did it we were on the local [disused] canal messing around, it's only 3-4 feet deep but about 20 of us were messing around and heard it crack. Never run so fast in my life. I was about 14 I reckon.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Kids will be kids.

This shit happens every year, they don't die every time though.

And nah Scouse this ain't taught - probably will be according to how much media coverage this gets.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I walked on ice when I was a kid, although I was careful to stay near the edges where I knew it was safe. Last time I did it we were on the local [disused] canal messing around, it's only 3-4 feet deep but about 20 of us were messing around and heard it crack. Never run so fast in my life. I was about 14 I reckon.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've only ever done it once years ago when the Basingstoke Canal froze solid. Would I do it now? Fuck that. It's bad enough walking on the drive :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
And here's the other problem...

I bet those kids got some wicked tiktok content.
Darwinian survival. If kids die before they've passed on their genes, then in a hundred years we'll have a breed of children who aren't genetically susceptible to being attention-seeking twats :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
8cm of snow forecast for Wales tomorrow @Scouse. Post pics of your winter wonderland if it happens please. Along with the chickens.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Quite a few water mains will blow tomorrow with such a swing in temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom