Oh Shit!!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Not sure exactly but a plane is pressurised to around the same as 10,000ft air pressure, so as you go up it still drops as if you had climbed a 10,000ft mountain.
That's why you can't fly straight after scuba diving, cos you'd start to fizz.

I think they increase the oxygen ratio, but that's just a guess, a lot of people would feel lightheaded if they went straight up to 10,000ft.

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
Job said:
I think they increase the oxygen ratio, but that's just a guess, a lot of people would feel lightheaded if they went straight up to 10,000ft.

you could imagine that flight then :p a few hundred ppl halucinating(sp?) and in general feeling tired would be great to watch the film without some kid standing on thier chair infront of you staring at you :touch:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Job said:
Not sure exactly but a plane is pressurised to around the same as 10,000ft air pressure, so as you go up it still drops as if you had climbed a 10,000ft mountain.
That's why you can't fly straight after scuba diving, cos you'd start to fizz.

There are three types of Cabin Pressure control Systems:

Sealed - Obvious how that works - mainly used for spacecraft
Differential - maintains a set differential between Cabin and outside pressure. The bigger the difference the stronger the cabin has to be. Again expensive.
Isobaric - maintains a set pressure. Not commen and very expensive.

Most aircraft use a combination of Isobaric and Differential. Which is why your ears pop, the pressure is changing. But not to a lvl that could introduce Hypoxia.

Some aircraft, a minority have oxygen bottles for emergency oxygen. Quite unusual, BA B777's do for instance. Most aircraft have oxygen generators. The generators weigh more but then you don't have the problem of checking and refilling tanks. They also have scrubbers fitted which purify the recycled cabin air. Also there is Bleed Air from the engines part of which runs through the Cabin AC system. The Bleed Air feed is controled and its this that is used to control cabin pressure.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
There are three types of Cabin Pressure control Systems:

Sealed - Obvious how that works - mainly used for spacecraft
Differential - maintains a set differential between Cabin and outside pressure. The bigger the difference the stronger the cabin has to be. Again expensive.
Isobaric - maintains a set pressure. Not commen and very expensive.

Most aircraft use a combination of Isobaric and Differential. Which is why your ears pop, the pressure is changing. But not to a lvl that could introduce Hypoxia.

Some aircraft, a minority have oxygen bottles for emergency oxygen. Quite unusual, BA B777's do for instance. Most aircraft have oxygen generators. The generators weigh more but then you don't have the problem of checking and refilling tanks. They also have scrubbers fitted which purify the recycled cabin air. Also there is Bleed Air from the engines part of which runs through the Cabin AC system. The Bleed Air feed is controled and its this that is used to control cabin pressure.

:eek7: I give you, the "Pin" of airplanes! :p

/Dracus

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom