Oh Shit!!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Aircraft-Engine.jpg

Tilda

Job, using your camera phone to post on forums while flying is BAD ok? Even in cases like this!

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Reminds me of that bit on the Twilight Zone where the little alien is ripping pieces of the wing apart and throwing them into the engine. I loved that bit so much.

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Hrrr... Planes are plain scary. Won't step into one unless I really, really have to.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
It's the safest form of travel though. Really nothing to be feared tbh.

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I know, but still... same goes with big cruise ships :(

I'm probably just too paranoid nowadays.

Job

Flying is the safest form of transport by statistic.

It is however inherentely unsafe to fly at 500mph at 30,000ft stuck in a pressurised aluminium structure full of aviation fuel, some of which is on fire in the engines, without any emergency rescue apparatus whatsoever, relying on non-duplicated control surfaces and landing at speed on wheels that are stored away for flight.

When you are at 30,000 ft in an Aeroplane the ONLY way for you to survive the flight is for EVERY control surface to work 100% to get you down.

Luckily planes are very,very reliable, but if the control surfaces fail in flight you are SHAGGED.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
kids beware..... i work in the place that makes plane parts

nuff said o_O

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
Ezteq said:
kids beware..... i work in the place that makes plane parts

nuff said o_O

so from the above picture we can tell you've been slacking again? :rolleyes:

Ezteq

Queen of OT
was prolly on me fag break tbh, just chuck bits in here and there sling some glue on and bingo fag time!...
nah your ok folks i just handle the parts (oh er) before they go off for spraying/treatments, dont do assembly, fly easy in this knowledge!

Pippic

Fledgling Freddie
flying is only the safest form of travel if u count the accident per mile/km ratio.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Pippic said:
flying is only the safest form of travel if u count the accident per mile/km ratio.
sounds like bollocks to me mate. Many many people die every day on the roads, its rare anyone (excluding military personnel in service) dies in the air or on the ground (thwack). Its also safest in terms of the number of safe journies:number of fatal journies.

Job

Flying is the safest form of travel for miles travelled
i.e. how many people die per million miles.
Scary thing thing is that in a million miles of motorcycle travel, your chance of dying is 50%.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Job said:
Flying is the safest form of travel for miles travelled
i.e. how many people die per million miles.
Scary thing thing is that in a million miles of motorcycle travel, your chance of dying is 50%.

and another thing.. IF a plane acually DO crash at 500 Mph or whatever speed they are at, u WILL most likly die. lets say a car crash as example, u have a pretty big chance to survive there. might loose a leg or 2 and stuff like that. but u dont have much hope of surviving if lets say one to many engines goes boom in a plane and ur in a free fall to hell :) so in live/death ratio on car crashes versus plane crashes. then the cars have a better live ratio...

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
Ctuchik said:
so in live/death ratio on car crashes versus plane crashes. then the cars have a better live ratio...

Exactly. And the thing is with cars, there's so much you can do to avoid crashes ie. drive within the speed limits and so on, so atleast you have some sort of control over what's happening. Other people crashing at you is a different case of course. In a plane, all you can do is pray that everything works out since there is nothing you can do to prevent the plane from coming down.

I think that's why it's so hard to believe flying is statistically the safest form of travel (which I know already) but the control you have over cars makes it feel much more safer, for me atleast since I don't drive like a maniac ;)

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
Chilly said:
sounds like bollocks to me mate. Many many people die every day on the roads, its rare anyone (excluding military personnel in service) dies in the air or on the ground (thwack). Its also safest in terms of the number of safe journies:number of fatal journies.

Pilots (in planes anyway) will still be some of the safest people fighting in anyway :p I have done loops in a real Cessna, woooo. :p

harebear

Fledgling Freddie
And the only scary way to travel is via Submarine, me never going in one of them :S

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Job said:
Flying is the safest form of transport by statistic.
Correct.

Job said:
When you are at 30,000 ft in an Aeroplane the ONLY way for you to survive the flight is for EVERY control surface to work 100% to get you down.
complete bolx mate. Planes have been landed with virtually no control surfaces active. This can be achieved by varying thrust of each engine or both. Won't go into specifics as it would take too long. But believe me it has been done and pilots are trained how to do it. To even get to the stage of no control surfaces you would have to loose dual redundant hydralic systems. The only time this has happened in a modern aircraft was when the aircraft lost all electrical power. Even then all modern aircraft have backup instruments (Altimeter/Compass etc) that require no power to function. Added to that there is usually a RAT (RAM Air Turbine) which drops on loss of power. This is a small generator that can provide enough power for emergency use. Aircraft are tested for these conditions.

Also aviation grade fuel does not catch fire that easily. You have to mix it with air to ignite it. It's quite the same as petrol.

Validus

Fledgling Freddie
if i had to choose between dying in an airplane crash or dying in a car crash, i'd choose the plane. sounds much more fun!

Boomeruk

Fledgling Freddie
i am possibly the worst person when it comes to planes tbh

only get on one if i absolutly HAVE to, my mum recently moved to turkey and i refuse to go visit her untill my uncle drives out there...

seeing pix like this all over the internet just confirms my paranoia that no matter how safe it is to fly... 1 thing goes wrong and your dead, im a bit of a control freak, and when im not in controll - 50,000 ft in the air, i loose the plot.

get me on a boat, in a car, on a train, anything... just NOT on a plane, at any cost.

Xeanor

Fledgling Freddie
i'm not getting on any boats, worst death would be drowning, tbh.

and actually my future plans so far is to become a airline pilot. :D

Pippic

Fledgling Freddie
menar ni at alla vi i den här jävla korven ska upp bland måsarna o härja!?!?

kudos to anyone who knows where that quote is from ;)

Job

'Also aviation grade fuel does not catch fire that easily. You have to mix it with air to ignite it. It's quite the same as petrol.'

You mean oxygen, well you know when the plane crashes and the fuel spills out, I think you'll find a slight 'exposure to air' going on there.

And as for landing without control surfaces, tell that to the passengers of the American flight that crash landed at Sioux airport after the tail engine exploded and cut through the triple back up hydraulics, which were running through the same goddam conduit. They lost the rudder and rear aerilons and guess what, they tried engine thrust for control, but hit the ground at 250 mph and cartwheeled on fire 3X down the runway.

Flying is so safe it's ridiculous, one year in America there wasn't a single plane crash, over a million take off and landings, quite incredible safety record.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
always wondered why they put a life jacket under seat and not a bloody parachute ffs!!!!!!

Brynn

Can't get enough of FH
I know all the theory behind airplanes working as im an engineer - but common sence in me states that there is no way 2 engines can lift that huge metal torpedo - and some of the fat=ass passengers. So i still brick it when it takes off :p

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Job said:
'Also aviation grade fuel does not catch fire that easily. You have to mix it with air to ignite it. It's quite the same as petrol.'

You mean oxygen, well you know when the plane crashes and the fuel spills out, I think you'll find a slight 'exposure to air' going on there.

And as for landing without control surfaces, tell that to the passengers of the American flight that crash landed at Sioux airport after the tail engine exploded and cut through the triple back up hydraulics, which were running through the same goddam conduit. They lost the rudder and rear aerilons and guess what, they tried engine thrust for control, but hit the ground at 250 mph and cartwheeled on fire 3X down the runway.

Flying is so safe it's ridiculous, one year in America there wasn't a single plane crash, over a million take off and landings, quite incredible safety record.
The reason the Aircraft crashed at Sioux was a rather unlucky heavy crosswind. The pilots had done a bloody good job up to that point. The safty report, which I read at the time, stated that they over corrected and lost control. Still they managed to line up and get down to the airfield without control surfaces. Hence my comment still stands. It is possible and has been done.

Regarding fuel, no i dont mean oxygen. You seriously think that aircraft carry pure oxygen to ignite fuel held in the wings. Some rockets do but not a turbine jet engine. Which is also whay they cannot fly above 40,000 ft. The air is too thin to get good combustion. Don't start quoting 60000 for concorde different engine type. The fuel is mixed with 'air' and then burnt. Suggest you get hold of a copy of the Jet Engine by Rolls Royce. Very good book if your interested in the subject.

You can throw a match at a pool of aviation fuel and you would be very lucky to ignite it. It is correct that fuel air vapour can ignite quite easily but not in the open air.

Hansmoleman

Fledgling Freddie
a little of topic but its about planes since some of you know about them.

if its a pressurised tubes why do our ears still go pop? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom