Groove Music is Shite

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So lets get it sorted. What is, definitively, the best music player for Windows 10.

I want to be able to play anything, from a folder should I choose (select a list of files and have whatever play them). You know - basic windows functionality. No guff. No sales. No reporting to other companies.

There's bound to have been loads of changes since I last asked this question in, like, 2004.

A nice feature would be if it'd automatically Musicbrainz: Picard the shit out of my poorly-arranged music collection, but if it doesn't then that's fine.

Helpz0rs!

The winning entrant will get a picture of boobies! (Or c0x0r, if that's your thing!) :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Pretty sure I finally settled on MediaMonkey, could either be used as a Music Library a la iTunes, or music could be played direct from Windows Explorer. Played stuff from media servers dead easily, claimed to be able to sync your library to a mobile but I could never get that to work.

Don't use it that much now as I use Google Play Music streaming most of the time, but I remember it being the closest I could find to Winamp.

Syri

FH is my second home
I like foobar2000 myself. It's a bit basic looking, but it's got a library you can use, if that's your thing, or you can just make a million playlists and drop individual files or entire folders in as you wish. The absolute best feature though is you can queue any number of songs, so if you just fancy listening to a particular song next, add it to the queue. If you think it really has to be followed by another, add that one too, and when it's gone through the queue, it's back to shuffle, or whatever order it was set to.
It supports a ton of formats, and has plugins available to add other features too, like equaliser tweaks, playback controls in the taskbar preview window and all sorts. Oh, and it plays nice with the media keys on keyboards that have them.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh yea. Itunes incompatability is positively welcome btw ;)

Edit: Ah. Actually - it'd be really nice to be able to control what's going on (music player wise) on my windows machine from my android phone. (Yes, long shot I know)

Edit edit: Clementine looks the business. Anyone use it?

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I'm still on Winamp. The library does everything I want it to and it plays whatever I throw at it.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I still use Media Player but then I don't use my computer for listening to music since I have Sonos speakers in the same area.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
foobar2000, and I run Spotify premium for things I'm not inclined to purchase physically, direct from artists, if I can.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
No more physical purcasing for me. I used to collect music and films but stacked walls are just clutter to me nowadays and being old the quality of the media is less important.

Got a mate who spends a ton on vinyl. Not for me...

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I use Foobar 2000 for off cd/pc play. I use Spotify for anything otherwise. You have to pay for Spotify if you dont want random ads pissing you off but they generally have decent deals on, I just caught one for 3 months worth of subs for 1 months worth of cost.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
I'm still on Winamp. The library does everything I want it to and it plays whatever I throw at it.

Hah, my friends make fun of me for still using it. It does exactly what it needs to tho, and its lightweight enough to not interfere with my gaming.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
Spotify and Sonos player. Both are able to play files from your local network as well as their intended use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom