O2 Broadband

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
... has been really fucking shite lately.

Anyone else? Googling and the Thinkbroadband forums seem to have endless complaints.

First their 3G / phone service starts to suck, now the broadband is going down the pan.

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
ill scribble them off my list of broadband providers then, Im just moving house and was looking at there bb as it would be cheap cause ive got a phone with them......

hmmmm back to the drawing board

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Don't get me wrong, they've been brilliant / cheap for quite some time - but in the past month or so i've been getting web pages timing out, weird disconnects and then an increase in the number of very slow days.

Just take a look at some of the threads here - O2 Forum :: View Forum - Home broadband

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well I'm on BeThere but I've had no problems with it so far.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I've noticed it was a bit slow. Looking at the status update page it says there's an outage and this will cause congestion. Heard rumors of a fibre being cut, which isn't quick to fix (days)!

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Only 2 companies I could recommend at the moment, Bethere and Aquiss. The rest are mediocre at best.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Not entirely, O2 do also offer ADSL through BT and from what I understand it's utterly terrible.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
As do Bethere when you on a non LLU exchange.

Kryten

Old Cow.
On O2 here and still absolutely over the moon with the performance and reliability - at least now i've gotten rid of the shoddy router they provide.
LLU obviously - always been issues with the home/Access stuff.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
As do Bethere when you on a non LLU exchange.

I'm fairly certain Be* only offer access on their own LLU equipment, never heard of them supplying adsl through BT's equipment.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I'm fairly certain Be* only offer access on their own LLU equipment, never heard of them supplying adsl through BT's equipment.
It's entirely possible that I'm talking out of my arse.

On O2 here and still absolutely over the moon with the performance and reliability - at least now i've gotten rid of the shoddy router they provide.

Incidentally, what router are you using? I'm on a Netgear DG834GT that I've had for years but it's started to fuck up a fair bit (DNS spazzing among other things requiring a reboot every day or so). Its, perhaps unreasonably, put me off going for another Netgear so I don't know what to replace it with.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I'd stick with Netgear tbh. I've got the sky version of that router nath and never had any issues with it at all. Is it running the latest firmware?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Absolutely not - unfortunately the most recent firmware is faulty for me (and quite a few other people). With it, ethernet connections fail more or less every 24 hours and requires a full reboot of the router, that's why I've gone to the previous release. This one still isn't perfect so I might roll back a bit further.

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
My O2 LLU connection is generally good, a lot better than my old BT provided ADSL with Plusnet.

I have noticed a couple of DNS server issues with O2 over the last couple of weeks, web pages not working, unable to ping web addresses (but able to ping IP addresses), these usually clear up after a few minutes though.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
BE have had DNS issues for far too long, just use OpenDNS. I'm assuming they're running the same nameservers with the same problems for both O2 and BE.

Personally I used to rant at BE for them to try and get it fixed, but it's far easier to just switch to a DNS service which just works instead of hoping they'll get it working.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That may explain it then. The sky firmware (as I understand from reading up) is a custom job.

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
BE have had DNS issues for far too long, just use OpenDNS. I'm assuming they're running the same nameservers with the same problems for both O2 and BE.

Personally I used to rant at BE for them to try and get it fixed, but it's far easier to just switch to a DNS service which just works instead of hoping they'll get it working.

On the other hand i've never had a problem with Be's DNS in the 3 and a half years i've been using them. But I don't think O2 and Be use the same dns servers, afaik the 2 networks are running independently of each other.

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
Absolutely not - unfortunately the most recent firmware is faulty for me (and quite a few other people). With it, ethernet connections fail more or less every 24 hours and requires a full reboot of the router, that's why I've gone to the previous release. This one still isn't perfect so I might roll back a bit further.

Are you referring to this 39 page thread?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I wasn't actually - I found a thread on the netgear forums of people complaining about the latest firmware. I'll check out that thread though, looks good.

Syri

FH is my second home
On the other hand i've never had a problem with Be's DNS in the 3 and a half years i've been using them. But I don't think O2 and Be use the same dns servers, afaik the 2 networks are running independently of each other.

Not 100% sure how much crossover there is, but I'm on o2 (no LLU here, as I'm too far out of town), and any tracert I do goes through bethere.co.uk

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Not 100% sure how much crossover there is, but I'm on o2 (no LLU here, as I'm too far out of town), and any tracert I do goes through bethere.co.uk

If you don't have LLU then it shouldn't even be anywhere near Be's network at all. Non-LLU O2 connections are supplied through BT Wholesale and have nothing to do with Be or their network.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
If you don't have LLU then it shouldn't even be anywhere near Be's network at all. Non-LLU O2 connections are supplied through BT Wholesale and have nothing to do with Be or their network.

That's completely untrue.

Non-LLU customers are connected at their end to BT's network, which magically goes in to Be's network, then out to the webernets.

LLU customers are directly connected to Be's network

Kryten

Old Cow.
Nath, same - went for that router on purpose (it's a Sky badged one flashed with a Netgear firmware). No problems whatsoever, boosted the speed considerably. I have however heard of the issues you describe, many are using a slightly modified firmware or just, as you are being told, rolling back to older versions. Haven't had an issue with mine yet and it's a fairly recent firmware, but shall just roll back should I hit a problem.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter

Tried the hacked firmwares?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I haven't - I started looking in to the custom stuff and realised there was a lot to read before going ahead with it and decided that I couldn't be bothered :S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom