"Nuclear Emergency"

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, pressure is mounting in one of the Japanese reactors. There's been an announcement that they're going to have to vent radioactive gas.

Apparently there's a risk of fuel rod meltdown. Which, in normal language, is simply nuclear meltdown.

LOVE this nuclear power thing. Love it.

So. Who's going to be first to justify the building of new reactors 'cause it means cheap 'leccy instead of the more expensive but certainly nuclear-meltdown-danger-free renewables? :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
What a load of fucking bollocks. The assumption that the Japanese would build a power station in a very geographically active location without the required safeguards is just stupid.

rynnor

Rockhound
So. Who's going to be first to justify the building of new reactors 'cause it means cheap 'leccy instead of the more expensive but certainly nuclear-meltdown-danger-free renewables? :)

I'd happily live by a modern nuclear power station - more people are killed by gas explosions than by nuclear power.

Your going to look pretty silly when they sort it out without any major problems.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
The assumption that governments make the correct decisions regarding public safety and that humans can plan for the "unforseen" is indeed absolute fucking bollocks :)

From the Beeb about another Japanese nuclear reactor hit by an earthquake:

Steve Thomas, professor of energy policy at Greenwich University, said the reactors were only now just beginning to come back into operation.

"There were things that should've held together but didn't, and it's taken them years to get [the reactors] back in service," ....

"I think it was a shock to the Japanese that the plants didn't hold up as well as they should've done."

8.9 is a hewuge earthquake. The richter scale isn't simply linear either.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Safest buildings in the world really, ofcourse enough sh*t can make things go wonky, but you can't expect everything to be built with a countrywide natural disaster in mind.

Not to mention, this kind of episode and it's only a possibility still.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I'd blame it on President Bush if I were you. Or Maggie Thatcher!!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
The Beeb in whipping up a storm over nothing shocker.

Helme

Resident Freddy
With a tsunami around I'd hardly think a supposedly, theoretical, maybe, nuclear meltdown would take the headlines but I guess the newspapers just couldn't help themselves.

Nuclear power is pretty much the only realistic option and it's sad that so many people are utterly irrational about it. In the almost 60 years since the first reactor opened, we've had one major incident and it was caused by scientists de-activating security measures to run experiments. As for radiation, heh, a coal plant emits more radiation in a day than a nuclear plant does in a year.

Maybe I'm just biased for living within 10 minutes of a plant though :/

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Liverpool should be turned into a nuclear reactor tbh ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Your going to look pretty silly when they sort it out without any major problems.

I guess that your next move would be to deny that deliberately venting radioactive gas to "prevent a meltdown" is a "major" problem?

Auntie said:
Technicians at the Fukushima Daiichi plant are set to release vapour from the unit in question to lower the pressure and prevent a meltdown.

They've also cleared out the 10k radius of residents now, up from 3k earlier.

I guess that anyone who worries about nuclear, at all, is a bit of a twat tho eh :)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
No, but someone who preaches against nuclear as the great evil is :p

Also, since the tsunami(one of the largest disaster causes on earth) f*cked the reactor up, venting gas isn't a "major" issue compared to the alternabyl.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Don't use exceptional circumstances to justify what you believe.

Will

/bin/su
I don't think taking the example of a reactor from the 70s having some (admittedly fairly major) issues following a fucking huge earthquake can be used to state that all nuclear plants are inherently dangerous and shouldn't be built in the UK. Modern designs are far safer and the UK is a lot less geologically active.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So. We're (mostly - apart from Toht) agreed? Deliberately venting radioactive gas to prevent meltdown is a "major" problem.

Yes? :)

Aaaaaanyway

A massive explosion has struck a Japanese nuclear power plant after Friday's devastating earthquake...

...Japanese officials fear a meltdown at one of the plant's reactors after radioactive material was detected outside it.

No. No problems at all. I'm such a twat :(

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
So, pressure is mounting in one of the Japanese reactors. There's been an announcement that they're going to have to vent radioactive gas.

Apparently there's a risk of fuel rod meltdown. Which, in normal language, is simply nuclear meltdown.

LOVE this nuclear power thing. Love it.

Right now there isn't any other financially viable power source out there. So like it or not, if you want to keep using that computer of your's you're gonna have to deal with it.

Both wind and solar farms would take up WAY to much space. And there are days when there's neither wind nor sun. Not to mention the maintenance costs. It's expensive enough to run a nuclear power plant but it can be done efficiently with not that many ppl, a solar farm big enough would need a LOT of ppl, and i don't think you'd be willing to pay an electricity bill that rivals what you pay for in apartment rent. :)

Water has its benefits but how many Hoover dams do we need to get rid of one single nuclear power plant? And how do we justify destroying thousand and thousands of acres of nature to build them?

A mix of everything? Yes most likely, but it would still require nuclear power plants because even if you used wind, solar and water combined to generate electricity there would still not be enough to power a entire country while still be financially viable. A small country MIGHT get away with it but certainly not countries like France, USA, Mexico or Russia...

The bottom line is that we are going to use what is costing the least money. And at the moment that is nuclear power. Someone earning 2000 - 4000 pounds a month might be able to sit on his/her high horse and be willing to pay more for the electricity, but personally i cant afford that. So i'm voting yes for nuclear and take the risk of a meltdown.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So. No comment on the explosions/injuries/nuclear leaks/risk of meltdown at the Jap plant then Ctuchik?

But to address your concerns - face it people. Energy is too cheap. We're gonna have to stump up. I don't like it, but I will pay it.

For example, I'm currently paying £500/month in petrol simply to get to work and back. Yes, my mortgage is less than that and I do hate it (especially since the government isn't spending the extra tax take on environmental projects) but the expense of fuel in the UK is forcing people to act more environmentally responsibly.

There you go people. You can now ignore the obvious and real safety issues and talk about my politics instead :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Oh, btw, it's just been reported by some beeb journalists that they've been stopped over 60km away from the plant, rather than the "official" 10.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
they are sayin a roof has collapsed but that explosion looks like the roof has been blown off think there is a very real risk of meltdown now poor bastards hope they manage to contain it

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So. We're (mostly - apart from Toht) agreed? Deliberately venting radioactive gas to prevent meltdown is a "major" problem.

I said compared. If the choice is between a meltdown and venting gas.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
What "leaks"?

The ones that are being widely reported by every single news agency alongside pictures of the explosion, Tom.

Blinkers, much?

Will

/bin/su

Yes? :)
It is a major problem. But that doesn't mean that a modern reactor would run the same risk. Advanced CANDU reactors and pebble bed modular reactors are far safer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of renewable energy sources. But if they are unable to reliably provide a base capacity, something will need to fill that gap. I'd rather have nuclear than coal or gas filling that need.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
The ones that are being widely reported by every single news agency alongside pictures of the explosion, Tom.

Blinkers, much?

Yep one reactor building has blown, no one knows if the core has been damaged or exposed yet though. That is going to be telling, it is a 40 year reactor design so they cannot really know if the core is intact at this point but by the size of the explosion there is a risk.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
If the reactor was going to meltdown it would have happened already. It's a runaway reaction... it happens pretty fast.

It fucking annoyed me this morning when watching the news some fucking idiot who was apparently an expert constantly speculating, rather than just taking the facts.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Can they not lob a load of boron on it? I thought these things were ridiculously safe?

rynnor

Rockhound
As far as I can tell the thing that blew was the broken coolant system - without circulation the temperature and steam pressure increased and an aftershock caused an explosive release of steam - the actual reactor core is still intact.

Edit: this picture is similar to the one in Japan - the pumps failed so the waters not circulating and the heat just turns it to steam. You can see that the containment canister sits inside the cooling system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pumpless_light_water_reactor.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Can they not lob a load of boron on it? I thought these things were ridiculously safe?

And how do they get close enough to the reactor to "lob" boron on it without killing themselves?

To be fair, I could make a load of off-colour jokes about kamikaze runs etc. ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter

Blinkers, much?

I see nothing about leaks. What I do see is news about higher than normal radiation readings. Are these readings inside the containment facility? The control room? The atmosphere?

Where are they? Or are, as usual, news organisations speculating, because they don't have the foggiest idea what's going on?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I see nothing about leaks

That's 'cause you're a stubborn mo-fo :)

Venting radiation into the atmosphere, which under normal circumstances would be contained, is IMO a "leak". But aside from that - there are reports of radioactive caesium and iodine outside the plant and the fucking hewuge explosion was of, most likely, radioactive steam.

Sorry. Maybe explosive release isn't classed as a "leak" in your world?

teh dickshunaree said:
leak
-noun
3. any means of unintended entrance or escape.

:p

Anyway. I'm off to Scouseland for some non-radioactive Liverpool Philarmonic action so will leave you with this:

Auntie said:
Walt Patterson, of the London research institute Chatham House, said "this is starting to look a lot like Chernobyl".

:(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom